Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Is there also a (50A) outlet in the Box? If so plug into that with a (50 to 30) adapter! It might be the C/G elect.and Not your unit! Youroo!!
not a good idea to load a cord rated for 30 amps connected to a breaker designed to trip at 50 amps....fire waiting to happen......
capt4903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt4903 View Post
not a good idea to load a cord rated for 30 amps connected to a breaker designed to trip at 50 amps....fire waiting to happen......
Will trip the inside 30A first.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #23

Quote:
I think you need to direct this to the Companies that make (All of these Elec.Adapters)! I am sure they have Plenty of Lawyers waiting to hear from you! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Man View Post
We are on our 'shakedown' cruise with a 2016 Sunseeker 2860DS. We upgraded to a 15 K AC knowing we would have hot days to contend with on the road. The last two have been in the mid-90's. Our unit has a Domestics frig (small one) in the rig and a dorm/bar frig in the outside kitchen. We've got the AC set at 75 and without anything else running it will trip on its own - intermittently. Turning on the electric water heater immediately trips the campground pedestal (30 amp plug). Our rig is set for 30 amp and internal fuse box has following - Converter 15a, A/C -20, GFI - 15, Frig - 15, Water heater - 15, MW - 15 and Main 30 amp. None of the inside breakers have tripped - only the 30 amp on the pedestal. Had the campground electrician check the pedestal and was told it had 120 v coming through the connection. I should have pre-warned everyone - I don't speak electrician. As I was typing this the circuit tripped again. Seems I can't run anything other than the refrigerators and the AC and even that's not dependable. I'm trying to cover all the bases before I go back to the dealer and tell him this is unsatisfactory performance. I have a SurgeGuard 44260 (30 amp) connected between the shore power line and the pedestal. Thoughts, advice most welcome. Thanks in advance. dj
Some of these breakers have been in pedastile for years. A lot of times the lids are not closed so they are exposed to the weather. They just wear out and will trip when you plug in or when they are put under a load.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #25

Quote:
you can't "push" 50 amps into a 30 amp rv. Amps are "drawn", and will be limited by the smaller breaker, which would be the 30 amp inside the rv.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #26

whoever checked out the power pedestal doesn't speak electricty either. You can definately have voltage and no amps. This is true whether working on your rv, house or vehicle. Poor/corroded connections are a common cause of such a situation.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #27

Pedestal outlets are the (MOST ABUSED) items in a C/G! They should have a (Battered Outlet Shelter)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Pedestal outlets are the (MOST ABUSED) items in a C/G! They should have a (Battered Outlet Shelter)! Youroo!!
I worked a campground for Corp of engineers always had trouble with electric of the guy that came out didn't have a clue what he was doing some plugs so worn out the cords would fall out of them. His best one he told the camper he should bend the prongs on his plug and would probably stay in then. He would reset the breaker test it with a volt meter and claim there was nothing wrong when the camper plugged in and it tripped his only answer there's something wrong with your camper.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #29
Average Joe

FWIW, the pedestal breaker is not there to protect your RV (load). It's there to protect the lines/equipment behind the breaker (line side).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Youroo we should all go green and just use solar panels very large banks of batteries and inverters. But YOU are correct....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Besides a PDI, I think RV dealers should offer RVing 101 classes. So when something doesn't work, RVers can understand why?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker