Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #1

30 amp surge protectors

Just curious as to what to buy for a 30 amp surge protector? Going on a trip later in the year and will be hitting some parks in small towns in the central part of the country. I realize that I need at least some protection from possibly poor power pedestals in these parks. I am on a budget due to what is going on in the country right now so I need to be careful with what I purchase, meaning I would like the best bang for the buck. I appreciate any input on this.
Thank you,
Curly
Curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly2001 View Post
I realize that I need at least some protection from possibly poor power pedestals in these parks.
Curly
Just curious. How did you come to that realization?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Canadian Member

I recommend Progressive Industries’ EMS line or Southwire’s Surge Guard equivalent. You want a model that will check the pedestal wiring on plug in and then constantly check for poor power (low voltage, high voltage, etc.) In my experience, low voltage is the most common problem but I’ve seen an improperly wired (or malfunctioning) pedestal casue a dangerous “hot skin” condition.

It’s your preference whether you opt for a portable version or a hard wired version.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

I have been at some campgrounds that have had poor looking pedestals that have been wire tied together, some with duct tape, and some with plugs hanging out of the pedestal. I have had to move spaces due to that. With that said, I feel that someday I will plug into one that is damaged but I can't see it and then it is too late.
Curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #5

I strongly recommend getting one that will automatically shut off the power if the power gets out of spec.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I recommend Progressive Industries’ EMS line or Southwire’s Surge Guard equivalent. You want a model that will check the pedestal wiring on plug in and then constantly check for poor power (low voltage, high voltage, etc.) In my experience, low voltage is the most common problem but I’ve seen an improperly wired (or malfunctioning) pedestal casue a dangerous “hot skin” condition.

It’s your preference whether you opt for a portable version or a hard wired version.
X2
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #7

I have the portable SurgeGuard 34931 and have been pleased with how it works. I was considering the hardwired version because I thought it would be more convenient and less subject to theft than the portable version. However, I recall that I was advised that the portable version provides more protection for the wiring in the RV, but I do not recall the details. They also have a wireless LCD monitor that is installed inside the RV which is quite handy. Whatever you end up gettting, I think the protection offered is worthwhile.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #8

surge protector

I bought this from Amazon in June and paid $95.65, its gone up a little but still a good buy with it being a Progressive smart surge protector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Paris freedom Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
I have the portable SurgeGuard 34931 and have been pleased with how it works. I was considering the hardwired version because I thought it would be more convenient and less subject to theft than the portable version. However, I recall that I was advised that the portable version provides more protection for the wiring in the RV, but I do not recall the details. They also have a wireless LCD monitor that is installed inside the RV which is quite handy. Whatever you end up gettting, I think the protection offered is worthwhile.
A portable unit protects your power cord from the outlet on the EMS along with the downstream wiring and appliances. A hardwired unit protects everything downstream from where it is installed.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A portable unit protects your power cord from the outlet on the EMS along with the downstream wiring and appliances. A hardwired unit protects everything downstream from where it is installed.
100% X2

But my question is: Is it better to have a portable one (at the pedestal) or one installed in the camper (probably behind the fuse panel/converter). I have theft in mind. I'd rather replace my power cord than a portable surge guard (like $300 or so). Just thinking.

BTW: our camper is 50 amp.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #11

I bought the portable EMS and just use a bike cable lock on it. I would hate to have it stolen, but as said, locks keep honest people honest, and for others, if they are determined...

The portable is easy to replace should it ever go bad. The hard-wired unit requires in my rig to remove the mattress, a large plywood board it sits on, and work over the edge to wire the EMS in. If it should go bad, it will be a bear to work around when at a campsite. Some have said their is a button to override the protector on the unit, but again, remove the mattress, etc.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #12

Although a 50 amp model progressive it has a built in loop to connect a cable/chain and lock it to the pedestal
blufrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufrog1 View Post
Although a 50 amp model progressive it has a built in loop to connect a cable/chain and lock it to the pedestal
Agree and that is exactly what I have. It takes about 10 seconds to cut that cable/chain. The hole in the "built in loop" is not very big.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Agree and that is exactly what I have. It takes about 10 seconds to cut that cable/chain. The hole in the "built in loop" is not very big.
Surge Guard has the built in loop to fasten a cable through it. Again if a person is determined to steal, they will get it. But lets consider that most campers are honest, and in 42 years, I have only had some firewood taken from my site.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
Surge Guard has the built in loop to fasten a cable through it. Again if a person is determined to steal, they will get it. But lets consider that most campers are honest, and in 42 years, I have only had some firewood taken from my site.
X2 We have never had anything stolen, but in this day and age a load of firewood is worth $5 and a state of the art surge protector is $300+.

I think all campers are honest, but it's the non camping folks that check out a CG to see what they can get that worries me.

I feel bad posting this!

Old 08-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Just curious as to what to buy for a 30 amp surge protector? Going on a trip later in the year and will be hitting some parks in small towns in the central part of the country. I realize that I need at least some protection from possibly poor power pedestals in these parks. I am on a budget due to what is going on in the country right now so I need to be careful with what I purchase, meaning I would like the best bang for the buck. I appreciate any input on this.
Thank you,
Curly
This may not be helpful, but about 3 or 4 years ago after experiencing some horrendous pedestals. On one the back fell off exposing the lugs. On another there was massive arcing as the 30 amp plug went in and it would not maintain contact.

My solution was to expand our solar and battery so that we would never have to plug in again. Even in the 2-3 days per year that we have hookups, we do not plug in the electric power cord. The protector $$ went into the solar. We do not have A/C.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #17

I've always used progressive industries and had good results. Probably the most use I get out of it is monitoring my amperage use. It's one of those things like insurance, you don't need it till you do.

I actually have a PT30x sitting in my garage. Your post reminded me I had it. I got a new camper and put the hardwired 50amp version in. I'd let it go for $150 + shipping if your interested. I used it for about 8 months recreational camping until I traded campers.
Quote:
Thank you,
Curly
Griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #18

EMS

If you are going to spent the money, get an EMS. Either Progressive or Surgeguard. There have been numerous discussions on this site which is superior. I have used the Progressive for 4 years w/ no problem. These have a 3 minute cycle where they test the power pole and will give you an error message when there is a issue. If there is a problem, does not connect to your trailer electronics. The big advantage is these shut off power in a low voltage situation for several minutes and then reconnect. Low voltage is the lost common thing you want to protect your AC and sensitive electronics from.
I view the EMS as an insurance policy and cheaper than replacing AC or microwave. Since we like to hit the small privately owed parks, I feel it is good tool.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #19

After much research I choose the Progressive Industries EMS system for my MH. Pricy but sio was the RV. A cord type bicycle lock is easy to use to secure it to the CG pedestal: you don't need to it bulletproof from theft - just make it harder to steel than the other ones in the CG.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #20

I like my Watchdog surge protector. About $100. 4800 Joules limit higher then others, can replace part of unit that blows. It has blue tooth for low power. Notifies my phone tells me a lot of information like how much power I am using. Only when I am in range of blue tooth. It is made by a good company called hughes.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote