Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 82
30 vs. 50 amp protector

First off I own a 2018 Grey Wolf 22MKSE. The cord has a 30amp plug on it

With that being said, I've been looking at purchasing a EMS to hard wire into the TT. Searching on here I see a lot of people recommend a 50amp protector, but Im not gathering why. Only assuming their RV has a 50amp plug.

If my cord is only a 30amp, would I want a 50amp surge protector?
__________________
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport
2018 Grey Wolf 22MKSE
straightlinespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
markb5900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightlinespeed View Post
First off I own a 2018 Grey Wolf 22MKSE. The cord has a 30amp plug on it

With that being said, I've been looking at purchasing a EMS to hard wire into the TT. Searching on here I see a lot of people recommend a 50amp protector, but Im not gathering why. Only assuming their RV has a 50amp plug.

If my cord is only a 30amp, would I want a 50amp surge protector?
You wouldn't
If your rig is a 30amp unit, then you only need a 30 am protector.
__________________
Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2017 GMC 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 24,465
If you decide to get a 30 amp EMS, I remember approving a few here lately in our classifieds. May want to give a look there for some good deals.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
You wouldn't
If your rig is a 30amp unit, then you only need a 30 am protector.
Perfect, that is what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If you decide to get a 30 amp EMS, I remember approving a few here lately in our classifieds. May want to give a look there for some good deals.
Awesome, thank you!
__________________
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport
2018 Grey Wolf 22MKSE
straightlinespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
 
elind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Penisula Michigan / Arizona
Posts: 2,723
Some RVers think someday everyone will trade up to a 50 amp RV. So if you get one now, your done buying a bigger one later.
__________________
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,066
As others said, people are planning ahead that they may some day have an RV that is 50A and don't want to buy a new EMS. I had the 30A for our first coach and sold it to a buddy when we moved to 50A. The only real difference is the 30A is protecting only one hot line while the 50A is protecting two hot lines.
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
50 amp

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.