Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #1

30A power inlet replacement?

All, I really dislike the power inlet on our new 2020 Mini-Lite. The threads on the lock ring are very fine, and the plastic is really soft. The result is that it takes me 10 minutes to get it threaded right and it frequently cross-threads in the process.

I want a different kind of locking ring. I'd like to replace the power inlet and connector without replacing the entire cord. I do like the fact that the connector is basically a 30A female RV outlet because I could string two together if that ever became necessary. (I don't own the second one so that's a moot point at this time.)

In browsing for replacement connectors and inlets, they're all the traditional twist lock (not entirely a bad idea) and the connectors are all straight. Does anyone know of a source for a 90 degree connector, ideally configured as a 30A RV outlet? The configuration of the inlet would have to match the connector with respect to the position of the pins for the 90 degree angle to work, of course.

Suggestions?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
All, I really dislike the power inlet on our new 2020 Mini-Lite. The threads on the lock ring are very fine, and the plastic is really soft. The result is that it takes me 10 minutes to get it threaded right and it frequently cross-threads in the process.

I want a different kind of locking ring. I'd like to replace the power inlet and connector without replacing the entire cord. I do like the fact that the connector is basically a 30A female RV outlet because I could string two together if that ever became necessary. (I don't own the second one so that's a moot point at this time.)

In browsing for replacement connectors and inlets, they're all the traditional twist lock (not entirely a bad idea) and the connectors are all straight. Does anyone know of a source for a 90 degree connector, ideally configured as a 30A RV outlet? The configuration of the inlet would have to match the connector with respect to the position of the pins for the 90 degree angle to work, of course.

Suggestions?
This may fit your needs:

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-55532...356746&sr=8-26

I have one and it works great. Yes, the threads can irritating at times but I've found that applying a little silicone electrical grease makes them work better.

Having the 90 degree connector at the power inlet makes it easier to move around in tight quarters without the cord sticking straight out.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #3

Half the time, I don't even bother threading the connector. I just push it in. Of course, that is usually at home since we hardly ever camp where there is power available.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Half the time, I don't even bother threading the connector. I just push it in. Of course, that is usually at home since we hardly ever camp where there is power available.
I screw mine down at home. We get more rain here than you do. As much as 2" per day in the last couple weeks. [emoji51][emoji51]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #5

Check out 30A shore power sockets on boating sites if you are not happy with what you are finding. Defender.com is a good place to start. Boats use the same type of connectors that RV's do.

You probably already know this, but it doesn't hurt mentioning. Turn the threaded ring backwards until you feel a click, then turn it the correct direction. That will help with the cross threading.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I screw mine down at home. We get more rain here than you do. As much as 2" per day in the last couple weeks. [emoji51][emoji51]
Agreed. The only time mine is plugged in at home is the day before we leave to prechill the fridge.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #7

Thumbs down

Quote:
And if you do that you create stress and loose connections and you will be here crying about the cheap plugs. ALWAYS tighten the locking ring. It is there for a reason. And there is the possibility for a fire but who cares it's insured right?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #8

google "smart plug" if you must.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
And if you do that you create stress and loose connections and you will be here crying about the cheap plugs. ALWAYS tighten the locking ring. It is there for a reason. And there is the possibility for a fire but who cares it's insured right?
I won't cry! Is as firm as the plug that goes into my power panel and that end doesn't have a way to screw on! If that's the worst thing I have to worry about, I will be happy. It's plugged in at home to run the 300W fridge element!

LOL...fire if I don't tighten the locking ring at home...hilarious!!
Old 02-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #10

Don't laugh about the fire. I've seen it happen before. The plug moving in the socket causes small arches which over time raise the resistance in the connection. This in turn heats up the connection. This can get hot enough to ignite some materials. In addition the arching can also ignite some materials.

This happens more on boats since they are not stationary when connected to shore power.

As hilarious as it seems the strain relief is there for a reason and should be used.

I'm done being a nanny now

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Don't laugh about the fire. I've seen it happen before. The plug moving in the socket causes small arches which over time raise the resistance in the connection. This in turn heats up the connection. This can get hot enough to ignite some materials. In addition the arching can also ignite some materials.

This happens more on boats since they are not stationary when connected to shore power.

As hilarious as it seems the strain relief is there for a reason and should be used.

I'm done being a nanny now
It's a 300W load while parked in my my driveway. I will survive!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 AM   #12

I did, not recognizing the reference to smart home systems. I'm not clear how that relates to a 30A RV connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
google "smart plug" if you must.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #13

I've got some silicone grease used in chemistry labs. I'll try that.

The 90 degree connector you suggested looks nice. I'll adopt that if I have to use a standard twist-lock connection. The one installed by Rockwood is not a twist lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This may fit your needs:

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-55532...356746&sr=8-26

I have one and it works great. Yes, the threads can irritating at times but I've found that applying a little silicone electrical grease makes them work better.

Having the 90 degree connector at the power inlet makes it easier to move around in tight quarters without the cord sticking straight out.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #14
Dobbs from WI

It's on the pricey side but I've considered this:
SmartPlug B30ASSYNT Combo Kit with Female Connector and Stainless Steel Inlet - 30 Amp, Gray
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #15
Retired Member

Quote:

Suggestions?
Check out smart plug at TechnoRV.com. Comes in 30 or 50 amp options.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post

X3. They put that locking ring on for a reason.

I'm considering replacing my connection. If I do, it WILL be a smart plug.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwmiata View Post
Check out smart plug at TechnoRV.com. Comes in 30 or 50 amp options.
Here...it's really not that hard to create a link....
https://www.technorv.com/smartplug-30-amp-kit/
Old 02-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #18

Quote:
I did, not recognizing the reference to smart home systems. I'm not clear how that relates to a 30A RV connection?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/smart...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-12-2020, 01:32 AM   #19

Quote:
I won't cry! Is as firm as the plug that goes into my power panel and that end doesn't have a way to screw on! If that's the worst thing I have to worry about, I will be happy. It's plugged in at home to run the 300W fridge element!

LOL...fire if I don't tighten the locking ring at home...hilarious!!

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #20

It sounds to me like this is what you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SmartPlug-3...8AAOSwAMVeQezI
Attached Images

Tags
power, replacement