Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #1

35IK Silverback 5th wheel Generator

Researching what we would need for dry camping in warmer climates to run at least one A/C unit and some smaller appliances including LED TV. We could really use some guidance and experiences here as far as watts required and success stories with certain brand names.
Oneiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

Twin Honda 2KW generators with parallel kit will do what you want.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Or two Champion 2KW generators, very close to the price of one Honda.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Twin Honda 2KW generators with parallel kit will do what you want.

Thats exactly what I did. Super portable when you only need 1 and uses less gas than a bigger generator.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

I have heard really good things about Champion. Can you provide some experience with the Champion Inverter Gens used in parallel? Honda has terrific reviews but damn they are costly..can anyone give me some reviews on Champion generators?? I laso need to get a clue as to how to use generators efficiently while dry camping or boondocking. Is there a class we can take to learn this stuff??
Old 01-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Use a generator while boon docking training? Whats there to teach? You start them, warn them up, make sure to chock is off, plug it into your RV start the AC. Unless your living/camping someplace it is extremely hot I just dont see a need to run the AC whwn boondocking. Heck the entire purpose of boondocking is to get away from people and noise living off the grid. A single 2KW generator will charge the batteries as would a solar setup. There are only three things you really need for boondocking. Adequate potable water, a means to dispose of gray and black water, and a way to charge batteries. The rest, heck you might as well go visit full hookup parks.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Site Team

I agree, no need for a generator class.
Not much more complicated than starting and using a self propelled lawn mower.

As far as Champion reviews, a simple Google search will give you weeks of reading.
RV.net's Tech Issues forum has two different Champion threads that are the longest in their history.

I would think that a Cedar Creek would have a generator compartment for a built-in On an or Generac generator.
Have you explored that option? It's just a push of a button.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiron View Post
I have heard really good things about Champion. Can you provide some experience with the Champion Inverter Gens used in parallel? Honda has terrific reviews but damn they are costly..can anyone give me some reviews on Champion generators?? I laso need to get a clue as to how to use generators efficiently while dry camping or boondocking. Is there a class we can take to learn this stuff??
I have owned a pair of Champion 2000's for 5 years and highly recommend them. They start on first or second pull after sitting idle for 6 months through the winter.
Paired together they will run a 15K AC without a problem, one by itself in eco will run a 1000 watt microwave. You will need an adapter to plug in the shore cord if using just one gennie.
To charge the TT battery(s) just plug your shore cord in to the gennie with a 15 amp adapter and let the trailer converter charge the battery(s). How long you have to let the gennie run depends on how depleted the battery(s) are.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting

Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

35IK Silverback 5th wheel Generator

Agree with others on two companion units, used two Hondas for many years. but a Briggs and Stratton Q6500 5000 watt generator will do everything you said you need at half the price.

We now carry one in case of power outage. Have used it a few times. No problems running the primary AC and other small items together. We switch to gas for hot water and refrigerator when that happens.

Thought I might add this it does not have a 30 amp RV connection so you need to use an adapter.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #10

I would say two Champions is a better deal that the Briggs and Stratton.

2- Champs $950 (53 db)
1 - Briggs and Stratton $1400 (66 db)

Less weight, less noise, less fuel usage when high wattage is not needed.

2007 Surveyor SV230

Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
I laso need to get a clue as to how to use generators efficiently while dry camping or boondocking. Is there a class we can take to learn this stuff??
I think the others missed the point. Getting started boondocking is intimidating! Starting and running the generator is the easy part.

For me, the generator performs 2 specific purposes:

1) primarily to recharge my batteries.

2) secondarily to run high use appliances (air conditioner, microwave, Instant Pot, etc).

For all other appliances/devices, I run off of native 12v or 120v via an inverter.

Things that run on 12v are lights, furnace (propane makes heat, 12v controls the brains and fan), refrigerator (on propane, the 12v controls the brains), and possibly devices you’ve converted to 12v (special TVs or CPAP machine, etc).

Everything else runs off of 120v using an inverter. The inverter takes 12v and makes 120v from it (its magic, I swear). We run everything else- computers, monitor, TVs, device charging, fans, etc.

You’re big limiter is your battery size. When boondocking, you primarily run off of it and periodically recharge it using the generator.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #12

We use a single Champion 3400w gen for everything on our Chaparral. We can run one ac at a time. It has been a great unit for us.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think the others missed the point. Getting started boondocking is intimidating! Starting and running the generator is the easy part.

For me, the generator performs 2 specific purposes:

1) primarily to recharge my batteries.

2) secondarily to run high use appliances (air conditioner, microwave, Instant Pot, etc).

For all other appliances/devices, I run off of native 12v or 120v via an inverter.

Things that run on 12v are lights, furnace (propane makes heat, 12v controls the brains and fan), refrigerator (on propane, the 12v controls the brains), and possibly devices you’ve converted to 12v (special TVs or CPAP machine, etc).

Everything else runs off of 120v using an inverter. The inverter takes 12v and makes 120v from it (its magic, I swear). We run everything else- computers, monitor, TVs, device charging, fans, etc.

You’re big limiter is your battery size. When boondocking, you primarily run off of it and periodically recharge it using the generator.

Been using my Honda’s for ten years now, I have a parallel kit the I brought off eBay, works great
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

You have all helped immensely in making our choice easier. Thanks everyone for helping this newbie 5'er. Looking forward to crossing the country a few times this year and having this generator knowledge will make the trips so much more enjoyable and less stressful. Happy camping!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
You have all helped immensely in making our choice easier. Thanks everyone for helping this newbie 5'er. Looking forward to crossing the country a few times this year and having this generator knowledge will make the trips so much more enjoyable and less stressful. Happy camping!

2007 Surveyor SV230

Tags
5th wheel, generator, wheel