Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
First off, of course a plug of this type is rated for stranded wire, in fact, that is the only kind of wire that can be used.

Now, as to the installation and design, clearly the neutral was either not completely tightened or not completely inserted or both...AND...the strain relief was insufficient to keep tension on the cord from pulling the neutral out of its termination. I too have installed countless plugs and the only design defect that I can think of COULD BE that the strain relief is designed for larger cable (doubt it), does not have a raised cleat to sufficiently capture the insulation or was not tightened enough for the situation(probable). You can spend almost 10 times more for Hubbell or others but they are pretty much designed the same as Camco.

X2 but my experience (and 60 years, 10 as an electrician and 50 as an electric power engineer) suggests one additional thought to your excellent post. The strain relief was never going to prevent a bit of tug on the neutral wire given the ample rubber jacket. Given the rubber cushion at the strain relief, even a minuscule tug on the white wire termination from handling of the cord could eventually lead to failure. To prevent that the white wire needed a bit of slack. I do that by putting a bit of zig zag or a "hump" in the white wire so that it can move a bit at the strain relief without putting tension on the terminal. I also push the cord into the plug firmly when tightening the strain relief. Sometimes the cord can be rotated a bit and pushed into the plug before tightening the strain relief to create slack on all four wires. Tricks of the trade.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhopp View Post
here is a shocker, we were in a campground and the ac was running fine and all of a sudden we noticed the ref. Was getting warmer, upon having the park check the 50 connection and the surge suppressor not indicating a problem, we limped home. I began to examine the issue. Many of us have had and currently use the easy to remove cord end in the photo, when continually being inserted and removed we never think about it any farther.
Wela you can see in the photos that the neutral (white) wire is the shortest and closest to the cord clamp. Over time it has pulled out of the contact and is making and braking connection. It has become apparent this plug needs to be checked frequently.
Result: New converter, new microwave, new heat element for refrigerator.

Replace mine with a new molded cord and plug.
one of the biggest mistakes made is when you tighten the screw binding plates , i know most major manufacturers wil give you the proper torque for the screws, ie: Hubble ..
lp98gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubs View Post
Thanks, I just purchased one of those plugs, think I will take it back and get something else!! Thanks again
Probably a good decision.

I have a male/female pair of them that I used on some cable to make a 50 amp extension cord. I'm not very impressed with them.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #64

There is nothing wrong with these plugs, I use these for my welders which are both 30 amp 120 and 240 volts, also for plasma cutter, I wire mine up exactly like HC said, any plug can fail whether it was wired correctly or not.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
There is nothing wrong with these plugs, I use these for my welders which are both 30 amp 120 and 240 volts, also for plasma cutter, I wire mine up exactly like HC said, any plug can fail whether it was wired correctly or not.
I totally agree. I have used the 30 amp versions and a lot of other manufacturer's plugs of all sorts. Plugs are plugs, screws are screws and they all can be made reliable and safe.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Ah, yes. Because hardwired would have been after the neutral fault. Interesting. One would think the portable ones should then go attached to the rig and not the pedestal. Of course, they are not set up for that.

Yep I have a hard wired after reading the forums here. Again my hat off you to gents for sharing your knowledge.
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhopp View Post
It is clear and becoming clearer. Someone post an issue for info on this site and out of the woods come the experts.

I only published this to notify anyone with similar issues to look at them, as a result all I read is comments from all the electrical engineers and design experts about the plug itself.

I was a electrician for 45 years and installed many plugs and had very few if any fail. As noted in my post the design is the issue and not the installation for all the comments about the installation, you being so sure it is not installed correctly please comment why?

Have never posted a thread on this site before and I thought it might help or prevent an issue for someone.... Apparently all it does is provide fodder for the experts behind a keyboard!
First of all, I read your post and thank you for sharing!👍

Second thing is yes there seems to be a lot "keyboard courage" on all theses forums but you have to read through some of this clutter to get good posts like yours!

Thanks for sharing, I have a newer rig with new cables...for now
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp