Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #1

50A 4 Wire Cable - where can I find supplier

I'm going to be installing a transfer switch and a surge protector in a fifth wheel, so I need cable/wire to do so. Short of buying an expensive 50A extension cord and cutting it up, where can I buy this type of cable, or something similar, by the foot? I called around and no one has cable similar to what is used between the existing shore power connector and power center. Does anyone know where to buy this? Or even what the wire designation is (STOO / THHN / etc.)? I looked at electric range power cords, but they have 2 #6 (good) and 2 #8 (not good). I need/want 4 #6. Other option is single conductor in flex conduit.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

6 4 SOOW So Cord per Foot USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I bought some at Home Depot.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Home depot sell 8/3 wire, $49 for 25 feet.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

You might want to check your unit first, when I put mine in found that there was lots of slack and play in power cord and i just had to cut and wire into surge protector. If not you can get it at Lowe's or HD by the foot. Make really sure your screw down connections are good and tight when you wire it in.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When installing your EMS and transfer switch, it's helpful to use high strand wire, which is very flexible. I bought mine at Home Depot and used 6-4 wire for 50amp. It costs just a little more, but you don't need much, and it's worth it when trying to wire things up in tight places.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #7

Cablewarehouse online has it
Dubeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

Home Depot or Lowes sells all wire by the foot.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

Four wire cable

I made mine with three wire. The neutral and the ground in are basically the same, do not under size the wire and connect the green or white wire to the silver screw and the green screw. Now I know someone is going to slam me for this but before you do get an expert to say it. I am a Journeyman electrician.
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
I made mine with three wire. The neutral and the ground in are basically the same, do not under size the wire and connect the green or white wire to the silver screw and the green screw. Now I know someone is going to slam me for this but before you do get an expert to say it. I am a Journeyman electrician.
How can you say that the neutral and ground are basically the same. This would be the same as wiring a house only using two wires with out the ground and using the neutral as the ground.

The neutral is a current carrying conductor. If you have current flowing on the grounding (bare) conductor, then anything attached to that (for instance a washer) will also become current carrying. If you were to then touch that washer while standing on a grounded surface, you now become part of the conductor and will receive a shock, perhaps a fatal one.

Plus how many RV have been damaged by electricians that have wired the 30amp 120 volt outlet 30amp 220volt?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #11

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
When installing your EMS and transfer switch, it's helpful to use high strand wire, which is very flexible. I bought mine at Home Depot and used 6-4 wire for 50amp. It costs just a little more, but you don't need much, and it's worth it when trying to wire things up in tight places.
Did the same thing for wiring my 50 amp hardwired surge guard....bought I believe 4 feet of 6-4 from Home Depot.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
I'll cross Journeyman electrician off my credible sources list.
You are not only wrong but dangerous.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Not to start any type of contest here, but jim-bob is 100% correct. Look in your house breaker box. The HOT wires RED or BLACK come off the breaker. The Neutral and Ground (White, Green and Bare) are all attached to the same grounding bar thus are basically the same. He also said "do not under size the wire" very important. Personally I would use four wires not three. Even though the neutral and ground start at the same ground bar location.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Not to start any type of contest here, but jim-bob 100% correct. Look in your house breaker box. The HOT wires RED or BLACK come off the breaker. The Neutral and Ground (White, Green and Bare) are all attached to the same grounding bar thus are basically the same. He also said "do not under size the wire" very important. Personally I would use four wires not three. Even though the neutral and ground start at the same location.
Actually it is in your house! There is only one spot bonding of ground and neutral is allowed, at the service entrance. In your house

Tieing ground and neutral together at the EMS is dangerous and illegal according to the Ontario Electrical Code and the National Electrical Code.

Tieing ground and neutral together can cause hot skin if the hot/neutral are wired backwards, as some have found reported on this forum this installation is a killer.

Another note is setting up a Ground Loop and have current in the ground path between the trailer install and the service entrance. This could cause leakage current in places like hot tubs and pool pumps creating a tingle or worse more voltage, not likely 110 vac but could cause an issue for people with pacemakers or heart issues.

I would spend the 4 bucks on a piece of stove cable instead.

Source referring to NEC and Surge Suppressor Installation

http://www.smartpowersystems.com/sps...rnottobond.pdf

The Neutral to Ground Bond
Where is it NEC compliant to bond neutral and ground? The NEC prescribes two places. The first place that we find this bond is at the service entrance inside the main service panels. Why? Fault current at this point needs to come from the utility source.

Non-compliant Neutral to Ground Bonds
A non-compliantneutraltogroundbond is usually easy to spot. Open a distribution panel and look inside. All of the branch circuit neutral wires, the white wires, terminate on a common bus. All of the branch circuit ground wires, the green wires, terminate on their own bus. If these are interconnected in any way, a violation of the NEC exists.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Actually it is in your house! There is only one spot bonding of ground and neutral is allowed, at the service entrance. In your house

Tieing ground and neutral together at the EMS is dangerous and illegal according to the Ontario Electrical Code and the National Electrical Code.

Tieing ground and neutral together can cause hot skin if the hot/neutral are wired backwards, as some have found reported on this forum this installation is a killer.

Another note is setting up a Ground Loop and have current in the ground path between the trailer install and the service entrance. This could cause leakage current in places like hot tubs and pool pumps creating a tingle or worse more voltage, not likely 110 vac but could cause an issue.

I would spend the 4 bucks on a piece of stove cable instead.
B and B I totally agree, as I stated I personally would use four wires.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #16

In a house type setting one is tied to the electric service ground and one is earth ground isn't it? Trailer houses and metal buildings use 4 wire service here.... I was told if the pole ground was lost it would find a new ground. I called it case ground/earth ground on the neutral ground

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #17

If your surge protector is hidden then that would mean that you don't have a reverse polarity device to see. I use a surge/reverse polarity device that plugs into the shore power box. It has red and green lights that will show if the power box is safe to plug into. Red being bad and green being safe. It has saved me from electrical problems on a few locations.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The progressive ems has a visible remote that monitors each line voltage, amperage, and indicates a multitude of errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
I have been a Master Electricain for 25+ years (scored a 100 % on the exam). I was a journeyman electrician for 4 years before that. I've been involved in the electrical trade for 38 years. I own and operate a electrical contracting company that has been in business for 59 years and employs 30+ employees. I have a BSEE from the University of Nebraska and have taught a senior design lab while taking graduate level electrical engineering classes. I don't know if that qualifies me as an "expert" but what you state is absolutely false and in violation of numerous NFPA 70 (NEC) requirements. The neutal and ground are NOT "basically the same" and it is irresponsible to give advice on a forum such as this that is so blatantly false and try to legitimize it by stating that you are "Journeyman electrician". The scenario you describe is dangerous and I would urge no one to take your advice. Connection of a 50 amp RV requires 4 wires period!
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WY Husker Fan View Post
I have been a Master Electricain for 25+ years (scored a 100 % on the exam). I was a journeyman electrician for 4 years before that. I've been involved in the electrical trade for 38 years. I own and operate a electrical contracting company that has been in business for 59 years and employs 30+ employees. I have a BSEE from the University of Nebraska and have taught a senior design lab while taking graduate level electrical engineering classes. I don't know if that qualifies me as an "expert" but what you state is absolutely false and in violation of numerous NFPA 70 (NEC) requirements. The neutal and ground are NOT "basically the same" and it is irresponsible to give advice on a forum such as this that is so blatantly false and try to legitimize it by stating that you are "Journeyman electrician". The scenario you describe is dangerous and I would urge no one to take your advice. Connection of a 50 amp RV requires 4 wires period!
AMEN Brother, Not having proper grounding and neutral is asking for a fire. A federal, state or local electrical inspector would not pass "three wire" hook up anywhere as it does not meet NFPA / NEC codes. More fires start from under sized and poor neutrals than any thing else.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote