Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 07:19 PM   #1

Adding a couple of solar panels questions

We have a early year 2020 Real Lite 1604 with the solar connectors on the roof and a 115 ah AGM battery. We are looking at 2 or 3, 100watt flexible solar panels for the roof. Is it just a plug and play scenario or is there a charge controller we need to invest in? I understand that gluing these down is the easiest option, what products are best for this?
Old 11-11-2022, 10:29 PM   #2

I would suggest rigid panels for longevity. The flexible ones really don't hold up to the elements. But I understand if that is a weight concern on your slideout camper.

You will need to also buy a solar charge controller (SCC) for the panels. Even #s of panels is more ideal for more configuration options. Look up connecting solar panels in series vs parallel.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:19 PM   #3
Retired Old Guy

This is what I did with mine.

Go power solar install
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Just for information, the OP has a popup truck camper so roof space will be limited and not as strong.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I would suggest rigid panels for longevity. The flexible ones really don't hold up to the elements. But I understand if that is a weight concern on your slideout camper.

You will need to also buy a solar charge controller (SCC) for the panels. Even #s of panels is more ideal for more configuration options. Look up connecting solar panels in series vs parallel.

I was wondering about the charge controller. When they say it is solar ready, its just the cables from the roof that are integrated into the camper? The onboard converter just converts shore power to to 12v? These cables from the roof are dangling somewhere near the battery/water tank I assume?

The weight on the roof is the issue and the reason why I am looking at the flex panels (Kedron Solar 100 w mono semi-flex). Plus they are 40% off right now at the Cabin Depot with a great warranty. The other option are the folding suitcase panels but they seem really expensive and easily stolen if you aren't watching them.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:01 AM   #6

Solar ready is just wires ran to the roof. Hopefully they ran 10awg wire. This is rhe SCC I bought and it is on sale.

[URL=https://a.co/f9Sq68u[/URL]

It is also lithium compatible. And good for up to 480watts
The PV voltage is 100v so you could connect all 3 panels in series to the SCC keeping the voltage high and current low gives you less line loss and better charging at low sunlight conditions.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #7

I see a lot of reference to the longevity, or lack thereof, of the flexible solar panels. I was looking at Renogy’s flexible 100Ah panels. Renogy’s warranty is:

Materials and workmanship 5 years.

Performance Warranty: 5 year 95% output warranty 10 year 90% output warranty 25 year 80% output warranty.

I assume a person can reasonably expect to reach the 25 years? Or, is the warranty non-transferable so Renogy figures no one will keep their RV that long?
(Edit, I had my second 5th wheel 25 years - could have tested their warranty!)

Camp20144
Camp20144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #8

+4 for nvs4602
for those that may have missed it "connect all 3 panels in series"
Old 11-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #9

biggest factor is cooling .. the cooler you can keep them the better they work
rigid can have an air gap under them to help in keeping them cooler

have seen some installs where they GLUED the rails to roof without screws.

I would prefer some screws.. especially if the panel covers them from direct exposure to the elements + plenty of sealer...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

for DIY budget peoples ... used panels are becoming more easier to find
craigs list etc ... easy to test and inspect.
Not a lot goes wrong with them unless some sort of impact.

To test ... point them to the sun...
measure Open voltage and amps with a multimeter or charge controller ...
Look for burn marks top and bottom ... reject burn marked panels!

if no burns and NOT producing voltage usually a sign of diodes bad ... solder on new diodes for a couple dollars ....

No Burns and NO Volts offer them a very small amount... good chance you can fix em

there are some good videos on how to source and fix used panels
save some big $$$$$
Old 11-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #10

panels

I used Eterabond tape to put them on the roof so far, no problems. I figure I will have to use a heat gun to remove tape if I have to replace one if it goes bad. 300 watts on roof I get a bout 12 amps out put it varies from 3 to 5 amps per panel depending on sun angle. If you do go that route buy a Swiffer mop and wet pads makes cleaning them quick and easy. I wondered about heat on roof, but I will have to find out about that when I replace them if they go bad. Going on 3 years now. To be truth full I don't think I will spend the money to replace them. I camp in the shade and solar and shade don't get along very well. I still have to run my generator at least every 2-4 days. you get better output from the suitcase panels if you want to chase the sun every hour. My camper was solar ready plug on side for suitcase panel wires were hooked to batteries with 7-amp fuse. I used controler that came with suitcase panels.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
I used Eterabond tape to put them on the roof so far, no problems. I figure I will have to use a heat gun to remove tape if I have to replace one if it goes bad. 300 watts on roof I get a bout 12 amps out put it varies from 3 to 5 amps per panel depending on sun angle. If you do go that route buy a Swiffer mop and wet pads makes cleaning them quick and easy. I wondered about heat on roof, but I will have to find out about that when I replace them if they go bad. Going on 3 years now. To be truth full I don't think I will spend the money to replace them. I camp in the shade and solar and shade don't get along very well. I still have to run my generator at least every 2-4 days. you get better output from the suitcase panels if you want to chase the sun every hour. My camper was solar ready plug on side for suitcase panel wires were hooked to batteries with 7-amp fuse. I used controler that came with suitcase panels.

I keep hearing Eterabond tape on the Facebook groups so I think it might be my route for attaching them. I was also thinking of self leveling sealant around the edges but that might be over kill and make it harder to replace one. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sixteen O four View Post
I was also thinking of self leveling sealant around the edges but that might be over kill and make it harder to replace one. Thanks for the suggestion.
I have used Dicor self-leveling sealant (from amazon) and it is fairly easy to remove with a plastic putty knife. if there is any residue left on the surface after removing the Dicor, denatured alcohol cleans it up (make sure the alcohol is compatible with your roof surface).
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #13
Always Learning

Now I can see why you're wanting to keep weight down. I'm usually not a proponent of flexible panels as I've seen enough war stories, I think they're the right option here.

You'll need to decide how you're wiring the panels together- either in parallel or series. You then need:
  • wiring sized to the amps potentially being pushed through (between the panels and the solar controller and then between the solar controller and the batteries)
  • circuit breaker to disconnect the panels from the solar controller
  • solar controller sized based on the voltage and amps from the panels
  • circuit breaker after the solar controller to protect the camper wiring from solar controller faults
Old 11-14-2022, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
biggest factor is cooling .. the cooler you can keep them the better they work
rigid can have an air gap under them to help in keeping them cooler

have seen some installs where they GLUED the rails to roof without screws.

I would prefer some screws.. especially if the panel covers them from direct exposure to the elements + plenty of sealer...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

for DIY budget peoples ... used panels are becoming more easier to find
craigs list etc ... easy to test and inspect.
Not a lot goes wrong with them unless some sort of impact.

To test ... point them to the sun...
measure Open voltage and amps with a multimeter or charge controller ...
Look for burn marks top and bottom ... reject burn marked panels!

if no burns and NOT producing voltage usually a sign of diodes bad ... solder on new diodes for a couple dollars ....

No Burns and NO Volts offer them a very small amount... good chance you can fix em

there are some good videos on how to source and fix used panels
save some big $$$$$
How much gap for air flow? 1/8"
Old 11-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Now I can see why you're wanting to keep weight down. I'm usually not a proponent of flexible panels as I've seen enough war stories, I think they're the right option here.

You'll need to decide how you're wiring the panels together- either in parallel or series. You then need:
  • wiring sized to the amps potentially being pushed through (between the panels and the solar controller and then between the solar controller and the batteries)
  • circuit breaker to disconnect the panels from the solar controller
  • solar controller sized based on the voltage and amps from the panels
  • circuit breaker after the solar controller to protect the camper wiring from solar controller faults
Thanks for the tips. I just found out my Daughters Electrician Boyfriend installs solar. I will pass your comments along to him. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:49 PM   #16

Be interesting to see what he has to say. Hope you can report back

Here is a video on flexible panels with air gap install.

Camp20144
Camp20144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #17

Watch this YouTube then see what you think. https://youtu.be/vf0-tXm-Oqc
bucketlist56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #18

You need a controller and MTTP is best by far.
Rigid panels cost less and last longer.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:28 PM   #19

I used silicone to glue a 100 watt flexible panel to my slide in camper. When I sold it, I tried to take the panel off. I ended up selling it with the camper. I did the same thing on my current trailer, and after 6 years, the panel still works, but it is hazy. It keeps the battery charged all the time, but I add a rigid portable panel on the ground to get more sun. Works for me.

Tags
panel, question, questions, solar, solar panel