Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Adding another Battery

I have a Lacrosse 2014 327RES and I am thinking of adding a second battery. The trailer is fairly new and came with a group 27 12V and I will most likely keep it and add another 12V. When those wear out I’ll probably go to 6V’s.

Few questions;

1. Should I shuck the newish 12 and go with 2 6V’s from the get go?

2. The tray on the A-frame is probably to short and needs to be modified, I was thinking of cutting off the back bracket and turning the batteries 90 degrees.
Can/Should I weld a new piece of angle iron onto the A-frame?

3. Recommendations on cables and trays?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

1. Unless you are planning regular dry/boondocking trips for more than a couple of days more than a few times a year then no. Get your money's worth out of what you already have. The second group 27 is a great idea if your current battery isn't more than 6 months old or so. If it is then you might be throwing good pennies after bad.

2. Not that you can't/shouldn't do it.. if adding a second battery is going to require a modification to your a-frame.. and you intent to upgrade to 6's in the not too distant future anyway.. then I would either go mod sans and just use what you have for now.. then make the mod's for a couple of 6's later. Or go ahead and make the jump now. Again.. there isn't much point in taking on the expense and effort just to re-mod it all over again.

3. That will largely depend on a multitude of factors. More information about your current rig setup would be needed to be of much help. Ie., current equipment in use.. distances from power house elements to your battery bank, charge rates, etc etc.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #3

I have been thinking about adding an extra battery to mine also. But instead of cutting the frame, I was looking at getting something like a portable pro tuff bin from Contico, or something like that, and mounting it in place of the current battery box. I was looking at getting some U-bolts to mount it, and then strap the batteries inside.

http://www.continentalcommercialprod...2011-bleed.pdf

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

How I am adding batteries

The retired Marines and Navy folk at the welding shop built me this box before they closed. It is built to hold 4 T 105s with wiring and stuff. Still have to put in vents and grommets for wiring. It will be welded to A frame behind propane tanks. They did and excellent job. I still have to fine sand and paint it. Thank you Warren, and Camp LeJune and I hate they shut the shop!
T-9 paraplegic 25 years post
Qchair62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery