Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 01:16 AM   #1

Adding inverter

So we picked up a geo pro lightweight and there’s no inverter installed. Any suggestions on running the wiring? Is there an easy way to grab the 12v off the fuse panel or am I fishing wires all the way to the battery?

Thx. Stu.
StuHun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:29 AM   #2

What size inverter and length of the wire, that will determine the wire gauge needed for the DC cables, large gauge wire is costly. I would mount the inverter as close to the battery as possible. Then run the AC 120v inverter output to the converter where shore power is connected. You need to install a transfer switch if you do this. I would also install a fuse on the positive wire between the battery and inverter.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:26 AM   #3

Another option is to just plug the shore power cable into the inverter. Just make sure to turn off the circuit breaker for the converter, and the A/C is either turned off or its breaker is off as well.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #4

What size inverter? You probably have 8AWG running to battery and will drop some voltage along the way (dependent on inverter load). Inverters cut out for low voltage around 10.5V so if you have 12.5 at your battery and loose 2 along the cable, the inverter will shut down. Just a 100W load will pull 10A from your battery.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #5

I built a solar generator with a 2200 watt inverter and a 12 volt 300 amp hour Lifepo4 battery. I have it setup so you just connect the shore power cable to it. I do turn the off the battery disconnect for the small battery on the tongue when using it. It will run my AC if needed and microwave but not at the same time. I would only run the AC if needed if someone or a pet was in distress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220624_094637.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	275502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220624_094732.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	275503  
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #6

What to know.

Line loss is awful on 12 volt wires. Thus the design is to minimize the 12 volt wire or make it bigger. 2/0 American welding wire and you can run a bunch.

Be sure to add the correct fuse in the 12 volt line. A fire issue.

If you want to not do the poor mans solution, the extension cord and turn the converter off. Then you get involved with transfer switches. NOt so simple.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:42 AM   #7

All of these posts are correct. It all depends on how big an inverter and what you intend to power with it. On my coach I added a separate 1000 watt Xantrex and transfer switch. Powered it off the free connections on my converter in the rear power bay (additional fuse to this connection.) Interrupted the power feed for my non-GFCI outlets and used a 15 amp transfer switch. It was relatively easy since the power panel is also located directly above the converter on my rig. Highly recommend the external transfer switch method since there is nothing to remember to connect or disconnect...it just works.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:53 PM   #8

So the inverter is 1100 watt. Our trailer has 2 separate power streams. One for shore power and one off the inverter.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuHun View Post
So we picked up a geo pro lightweight and there’s no inverter installed. Any suggestions on running the wiring? Is there an easy way to grab the 12v off the fuse panel or am I fishing wires all the way to the battery?

Thx. Stu.

Easiest way is also the best way. Mount the Inverter as close as possible to the battery bank, use the largest practical wire size, and then add a 30amp RV Receptacle fed off the inverter so you can just plug in shore power cord. This will only require short lengths of heavy gauge (expensive) wire and minimize voltage drop at inverter when running. Most Inverters have remote controls now so it can be switched remotely and it's a lot easier to run the remote control wire than the heavier gauge (expensive) wire.

I installed a Renogy 2.000 watt Inverter within a foot of my batteries. Then ran #10 gauge SO cord to a waterproof outlet underneath my TT.

When boondocking, which is 90% of my camping, I just plug shore power into the inverter powered outlet and make sure converter is switched off.

Transfer switches are nice but this is simple and pretty much foolproof. Also, transfer switches can fail from time to time. With this setup the only failure I have experienced is to forget to plug in the cord which is easy to rectify.

When I need to charge from generator I merely unplug cord from Inverter powered outlet, plug into generator, and turn on converter.

How many "no power" posts have we all read on this forum that are eventually found to be a failed transfer switch.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #10

Thanks! Any idea where the converter hides?
Old 07-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
If youwant a specific answer, you need to ask this question, in the Rockwood sub-forum and also post which GeoPro model number you have.
Converter locations vary by brand or model number.
Usually it's located behind the fuse/breaker panel but not always.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Take the cover off the power center and look in the bottom half.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter