Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2024, 06:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satafterh View Post
Hello

Just purchased a 2023 20se, left over stock. I am interested in adding solar. Any info on price and all that I need to purchase and any insight on installing would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Robin
You do know what a hail storm will do to those solar panels on the roof of a RV don't you?

Recently, a hail storm in Texas took out ACRES of solar panels at a solar farm.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:47 PM   #22

I would say this does not take into account that the refer does not run constantly. This is a difficult calculation, i.e. power produced minus power being used equals excess power for charging batteries. You have to look at battery power + solar power - used power = total power available not to exceed your battery power. This can give you how many days you can camp using solar power. I find I run out of water before I run out of power.

[QUOTE=NavyLCDR;2936826]Many people like to claim that solar panels only charge the batteries. Some people will say 100 watts solar will charge the batteries at 8.3 amps. When determining the size of a solar system to install, you must realize that statement is not true. Without being plugged into shore power and using the converter, the solar panels must first supply power to all of the DC electrical loads and then only capacity that is left over will charge the batteries. If you have a 12v refrigerator that is using 60 watts and you have 100-watt solar panels, only 40 watts will be available for charging the battery - that's only 3.3 amps going to charge the battery.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:30 PM   #23

Looking at the Freedom Express website with the Select and Leisure pkgs., I couldn't tell what kind of fridge it comes with. The 12v fridge, 200w solar panel, and 30A MPPT controller were options. That makes me think the base fridge is a 2-way propane/120vac, non-compressor, conventional RV fridge. If it is, the OP can probably get by with only a portable solar panel (with built-in controller) that plugs into his external solar port. The advantage to a portable system is the low initial cost (no rooftop installation), ability to aim it at the sun at the optimum solar angle, and to place it in the sun when the RV is parked in shade. Instead of rooftop solar, the money could be spent on two 6v, ~220Ah AGM batteries. They can be charged below freezing, but can only be discharged 50% without potential damage. Wired in series to provide 12v and discharged 50% max., the two batteries will provide 110Ah of 12v power to run the LED lights, water pump, gas fridge, gas furnace fan, and gas WH for a couple of nights. The portable solar panel will then partially refill the batteries each day and the tow vehicle wil supplement it each time the trailer is towed.. We ran a system like this for 6 years in our fifth wheel and dry camped comfortably, although without use of the TV, microwave, or AC (no inverter). But we alternated a few nights of dry camping with a day of travel, then camping with hookups to dump and refill the fresh water. So the batteries were completely recharged on a regular basis and we never did add rooftop solar.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
You do know what a hail storm will do to those solar panels on the roof of a RV don't you?

Recently, a hail storm in Texas took out ACRES of solar panels at a solar farm.

That's why insurance is so nice.

If hail is large enough to damage solar panels it's going to damage a lot more around them. Vents, skylights, A/C's, roofs, tow vehicle or toad, will all take a hit.

Carry insurance and pay attention to weather reports.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:23 AM   #25

solar panels, MTTP controller, lithium batteries.
200-400 watts.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:01 PM   #26

Mine is going to come with a 12volt fridge
Satafterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar