Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Adding suitcase solar panel to existing solar

I have a 2020 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FBS that came with a Go Power 100 watt flexible solar panel on the roof and a 30 amp pwm controller. It also has what they call solar onboard which is a SAE connector wired directly to the battery. You can plug in another solar panel that has its own controller. After talking to Go Power about adding another solar panel they said the best thing to do would be to wire the new panel in parallel with the exist panel using the exist controller. I have run new wiring from the SAE connector to the existing controller in parallel with the existing solar panel. What I'm not sure about is the safest way to plug the new panel into the SAE connector without damaging anything.
tempestdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #2

Following...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #3

Yep....you have to put it in parallel anyway since you have a PWM controller. The voltages don't have to match perfectly since a PWM throws any excess voltage away over battery charge voltage.

Measure the voltage at the SAE connector to determine the polarity and wire in your portable panel accordingly.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #4

I guess I should have been a little more specific. The exist solar panel is exposed to the sun and is generating power. Since it's wired parallel that power is present at the SAE connector. Being a solar novice I am concerned that plugging the suitcase panel into the SAE connector while the connection is hot might damage something.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestdriver View Post
I guess I should have been a little more specific. The exist solar panel is exposed to the sun and is generating power. Since it's wired parallel that power is present at the SAE connector. Being a solar novice I am concerned that plugging the suitcase panel into the SAE connector while the connection is hot might damage something.
As long as that SAE connector is connected to the input of the solar controller, you can add another panel and it will be fine.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #6

I have the exact same situation. My flexible panel on the roof is wired to the controller directly. I have a two prong trailer plug (I think that is a SAE) also wired to the controller in parallel. When I need the suitcase panel, I just plug it in. The controller takes care of the rest. The only caveats are to make sure you get positive to positive, and that your battery is connected to the controller before you connect solar.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #7

How to Tell?

How do I determine if our factory-installed external solar jack is wired to the control panel for the rooftop solar? We have a 2018 GeoPro 14FK. Our GoPower rooftop solar panel works like a dream. We want to supplement the rooftop solar with a suitcase that we can place in the sun for times when the rooftop is in the shade. We're afraid to just plug in a suitcase solar panel and short the whole solar thing out. We also don't want to buy another controller if we don't need one. Is there a way we can tell?
CampingClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingClaudia View Post
How do I determine if our factory-installed external solar jack is wired to the control panel for the rooftop solar? We have a 2018 GeoPro 14FK. Our GoPower rooftop solar panel works like a dream. We want to supplement the rooftop solar with a suitcase that we can place in the sun for times when the rooftop is in the shade. We're afraid to just plug in a suitcase solar panel and short the whole solar thing out. We also don't want to buy another controller if we don't need one. Is there a way we can tell?
Measure the voltage of your rooftop solar at the input to the existing controller. That is the voltage of panel you should get to put in parallel with your existing solar. Of course, if your current controller is maxed out for current, adding another panel in parallel won't help you.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

More than likely the SAE connector is wired to the battery, although some people have said theirs was not wired to anything. I have an E-Pro 19FBS and the SAE connector was connected to the battery. I also wanted to add a suitcase solar panel to mine. I disconnected the wiring from the battery and extended it to the controller. You could also buy a suitcase that has its own controller and connect it directly to the battery.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #10

Continued

The unit we want to buy does have a controller. Could you clarify what you mean by 'disconnected the wiring from the battery and extended it to the controller'? We don't want to mess with the existing solar arrangement. We were hoping we could just plug in the new unit and be done with it.
CampingClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

If the suitcase you plan to buy has a controller, just connect a short pigtail directly to your battery and run the solar directly to that. If you can find an old plastic film container, pill bottle, or similar, punch a hole through the bottom of the canister and run the wires from the inside of the container so the connector can hide inside. Run the bare wires sticking out of the canister to the battery. Cap the canister when not connected to solar for a water tight connection. FYI I get about 22 Ah from my 2 x 50 watt suitcase panel on a full sun day. I use up to 40 ft of 10 gauge wire when chasing the sun in a campground.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #12

I wanted to use the Go Power controller that came with my TT. I disconnected the exist wiring at the SAE connector and ran new wiring to the GO Power controller and use a suitcase that does not have its own controller. Check the SAE connector on your TT with a voltmeter to verify the polarity of the connector matches the polarity of the connector on your suitcase. Which suitcase are you looking to buy?

Tags
solar, solar panel