Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

After first trip no battery power at storage lot

A few weeks ago traded out Coachmen 2017 192 RBS for a 2021 Coachmen 242 RBS (wanted a bedroom door). Took the new rig out last week on a shake down tour near Venice FL. Weather HOT and rained every afternoon.

On the third day out, DW mentioned that the air cond hadn't cycled on for a while. Lowered the thermostat still no air. Checked the electrical panel and saw a circuit breaker had tripped. Reset the breaker and the 15k BTU came right back. Everything was fine for the rest of the trip so thought nothing of the breaker. The last thing I do when breaking camp (before the dump station) is unhook the shore power.

Arrived home, the frist thing I do at home (or at camp) is plug in shore power. The rig sat until the next day thru pouring rain while we cleaned it out. Last thing I did when heading to storage was unhook shore power. Get to storage and try to extend tongue jack and no power. Had to do the F150 "dance" to get power from the truck to the rig. Got unhooked OK but again, pouring rain, FL in the summer - locked up the trailer and came home dripping wet.

Not sure why there was no power from the trailer battery as the trip to storage is all of 20 minutes. It still should have power after being on shore power at home for over 26 hours. Th trip from the camp ground the day before was only 1 1/2 hours. Haven't been back yet to check things out but looking for advice for a checklist on things to look for. The problem with checking things at a storage lot is there is no 110 hookup (except the F150) to fire up the converter to check issues there. Any hints???
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #2

You don't by any chance have a battery disconnect switch? The converter would supply 12 volts when plugged in but not charge the batteries. The charge line would charge the battery.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

Did any other 13v items like lights work when not hooked up to truck?

If so there is an inline fuse for the tongue jack that may have blown.

Also, is the battery disconnect switch on? If connected to shore power the 12v system is running from converter and if switch is off batteries won't charge.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

Stange Does hard rain affect the tounge jack?

As Elsa has gone past and we actually have a clear afternoon after a week and a half or hard afternoon rain, I took some gear over to the trailer in storage. Turned the battery disconnect switch back to battery and lo and behold, the tongue jack worked off battery. Went inside and checked and the battery registered fully charged.

I swear on a stack of bibles that on Saturday the disconnect switch was on battery when I tried the tongue jack and had nothing. After powering up from the F150 it worked. Due to the rain I didn't stick around to try the lights, etc., just turned the disconnect switch to disconnected and headed home in the rain. Don't know if all the rain (every day when we were camping) as well as when wde got home affected the jack or not. I noticed at storage that a lot of trailers have 5 lb. buckets turned upside down on the jack. I don't know, does that keep it dry or what? I think it's time for a beer!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

a bucket over the head of the jack will keep water out, especially hard rains... might take out the electrical but might also rust the gears inside

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #6

Check the fuses on converter you may have 2 or 3 on unit. If not changing from 120 to 12 volts may not be charging battery.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, first trip, power, storage