Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

AGM or Lead Acid in new Rockwood??

We have a new 2205 on order. Can anyone advise if it comes with an AGM battery? If not, and I replace with an AGM battery would the factory charging system need to be replaced? thanks
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What did your selling dealer say? They might know best what they are recieving.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
We have a new 2205 on order. Can anyone advise if it comes with an AGM battery? If not, and I replace with an AGM battery would the factory charging system need to be replaced? thanks
It would not need to be changed.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
What did your selling dealer say? They might know best what they are recieving.
they are being vague, my guess is they don't know. Very nice folks but not sure my contact even knows the difference between the two types of batteries.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #5

The factory almost always provides a pretty generic marine type of battery. Replacing it with a proper deep cycle AGM battery is a good upgrade and won't require any modifications.
If you have any plans on boondocking with a generator however, then a better converter is a good idea. Progressive Dynamics is a popular source, they tend to get your battery charged up more efficiently than the factory unit.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
The factory almost always provides a pretty generic marine type of battery. Replacing it with a proper deep cycle AGM battery is a good upgrade and won't require any modifications.
If you have any plans on boondocking with a generator however, then a better converter is a good idea. Progressive Dynamics is a popular source, they tend to get your battery charged up more efficiently than the factory unit.
The Rockwood does NOT come with a battery, from the factory.
Batteries on towables are always a dealer-installed item. Motorhomes come with a factory battery because the motor requires one to drive it.
Most dealers install the cheapest 12v dual purpose marine batteries they can find.
If you want AGM batteries, that should have been requested during price negotiations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Rockwood does NOT come with a battery, from the factory.
Batteries on towables are always a dealer-installed item. Motorhomes come with a factory battery because the motor requires one to drive it.
Most dealers install the cheapest 12v dual purpose marine batteries they can find.
If you want AGM batteries, that should have been requested during price negotiations.
This has been my experience also. Talk to your dealer about putting one in or giving you a credit for the one that comes with it and buy and bring your own to install on PDI day. If they are as lost as you indicate, I would go with option two. I'd settle for a $50 credit in their accessories store and they keep the standard group 24 "deep cycle" that most towables get installed by the dealer.

You will need a battery on the way home for the breakaway cable to operate as required.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

Out of curiosity. If the factory does not install a battery, does that imply that the person/company towing the trailer from the factory to the dealer temporarily installs their own? Technically, I understand that it is illegal to tow a larger trailer without a battery to engage the brakes in case of a break-away. Inquiring minds need to know.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Out of curiosity. If the factory does not install a battery, does that imply that the person/company towing the trailer from the factory to the dealer temporarily installs their own? Technically, I understand that it is illegal to tow a larger trailer without a battery to engage the brakes in case of a break-away. Inquiring minds need to know.
That's a good question . i do know i have not seen one from factory with a battery . so they either have one they use or forgo it all together . some answer huh
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
From what I've read, most delivery drivers provide their own battery for transport.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Camping World gave me a credit for battery and battery box since I brought my own GC batteries and the box for them.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #12

I would request the dealer install 2 6 volt gc2 batteries. +$200

The standard 6 volts tend to have a long life but, require maintenance.

More important is a battery monitor. Necessary if you plan any boondocking.

A single cheap maring battery will not get thru the night running the heater without having the rv plugged in. forget a residential fridge.

A lithium battery is a good choice but, generally the converter needs changing and they are expensive. $$$$
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood