Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Alternative choice to Furrion Solar Panel.

Our Salem Lite BHXL 201 has the solar plug 10 amp plug built in. Would would a decent alternative to the very expensive Furrion solar panel?
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Our Salem Lite BHXL 201 has the solar plug 10 amp plug built in. Would would a decent alternative to the very expensive Furrion solar panel?
What do you consider expensive? Renogy makes some good panels for what I consider reasonable prices. You can buy the adapter to go from the fitting to the panels. I have a 100 watt Renogy suitcase kit that I use to keep the batteries topped up.

Aaron [emoji41]

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

Furrion panels are about $429 through Amazon. I have the plug thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

Renogy.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #5

Renogy
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Solar panels may be poised for a huge drop in price. China has cancelled several huge PV projects which some are saying will cause a glut on the market of the panels. That usually means prices will drop drastically.

That combined with the normal trend for tech products, where initial prices are high and over the years they drop considerably, I'm thinking that by Christmas we'll see some really economical solar kits.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Coleman 100 watt panel and research the connector on the FR forum. I have one and needed the wiring run directly to the battery - not the 2 different directions they were going.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Coleman 100 watt panel and research the connector on the FR forum. I have one and needed the wiring run directly to the battery - not the 2 different directions they were going.

Does the Coleman have a built in charge controller? A solar panel can put out close to 20 volts. Voltage that high will wreck a battery fast. ( and boil off all of the water in the battery)
Old 06-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Portable units such as Renogy offer more versatility than roof mounted but that comes at the cost of convenience and security. I chose the 100w briefcase because it fits my needs.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1798988
YMMV
Old 06-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

Beware! The term "Solar Ready" is a sales gimmick. It is nothing more than a convenient connection to the RV's battery. You cannot simply hook up any solar panel directly to that connection. You must have a charge controller to control the charge voltage and rate. The only solar setup that can be directly wired to the Solar Ready connection is something such as a Solar Suitcase which has the controller built into it. That said, Solar Suitcases come with battery alligator clips so you can clip it directly to the RV battery.
Carpercb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Solar panels may be poised for a huge drop in price. China has cancelled several huge PV projects which some are saying will cause a glut on the market of the panels. That usually means prices will drop drastically.

That combined with the normal trend for tech products, where initial prices are high and over the years they drop considerably, I'm thinking that by Christmas we'll see some really economical solar kits.
I have seen this info posted a couple of times now and while it is not without some merit, it is out of context. The projects that Beijing has cancelled are all “utility scale” systems. That will most likely have it’s trickle down effect on large scale projects but there is little indication that it will impact the type of systems we are talking about here in a way that would really benefit your wallet any more than the price of gas.
If anybody is interested enough to get the full story in context, you can find it in Forbes. YMMV
Old 06-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I have seen this info posted a couple of times now and while it is not without some merit, it is out of context. The projects that Beijing has cancelled are all “utility scale” systems. That will most likely have it’s trickle down effect on large scale projects but there is little indication that it will impact the type of systems we are talking about here in a way that would really benefit your wallet any more than the price of gas.
If anybody is interested enough to get the full story in context, you can find it in Forbes. YMMV
I agree that the largest effect will be on large scale items but the various materials that go into the smaller residential or portable systems will be in greater supply and thus drive prices down to a point.

Overall, I see solar costs going down just like Lithium batteries and other such components. Just think what a 200 watt solar "suitcase" unit would have cost 10 years ago

Old 06-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #13

I bought a 45 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight and there solar charger controller and bought the furrion adapter on Amazon and soldered to the plug it keeps both my 12 volt batteries topped off everyday and I'll go for 5 to 7 days dry camping I know everyone bashes the Harbor Freight solar panels but I've been using this one for years and it works great for me
mmgolfmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgolfmiester View Post
I bought a 45 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight and there solar charger controller and bought the furrion adapter on Amazon and soldered to the plug it keeps both my 12 volt batteries topped off everyday and I'll go for 5 to 7 days dry camping I know everyone bashes the Harbor Freight solar panels but I've been using this one for years and it works great for me

While the 45 watt panel may be adequate for your needs, most will find it grossly inadequate for boondocking. My battery bank is a total of 260 amp hours and charging from 50% discharge, the 3.3 amp output (assuming perfect alignment to full sun throughout charging period) would take almost two days to return to full charge.

I would see a panel of that size as perfect for maintaining batteries while the TT is in storage and no shore power is available.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Renogy.com or a bit less expensive usually, WindyNation.com.

Both good products competitively priced.

Go with 100 watt or 200 watts to really keep batteries up. For the extra money, renogy or zamp make nice pre fabbed Suitcase or Brief case folding panel setups. But if you are crafty keep cost down a fabricate your own portable setup. Or do what I did and go roof mounted.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
Does the Coleman have a built in charge controller? A solar panel can put out close to 20 volts. Voltage that high will wreck a battery fast. ( and boil off all of the water in the battery)
understood. unless the trailer has a built in charge controller to limit overcharging (an d I don't know any which do) you will have to acquire one. they are fairly cheap. I got ours at Harbour Freight in Maine
Old 06-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #17

Buy a Renogy panel and this:

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunkeeper/

It attaches directly to the back of the panel and is waterproof. Buy the 25’ lead set with the alligator clamps.

For less than $200 you have a portable, regulated system of better quality.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

I too have a Renogy system. I have 2x 100w panels (200w) and is expandable to 4x 100w panels. I also purchased their 30A controller. Works great topping off the batteries.

I still have my inverter that I use for the DW's hair dryer, etc.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #19

The plug is rated 10 amps but there is a 7.5 amp in line fuse. What is the biggest panel I could run?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
The plug is rated 10 amps but there is a 7.5 amp in line fuse. What is the biggest panel I could run?
Based on your number and assuming a bulk charge voltage number, 100w would be the assumed maximum.

Here is a tool for your box: https://www.supercircuits.com/resour...amps-converter

Tags
solar, solar panel