Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Another Lithium Question

My 2019 Dynamax Isata 5 36DS 4x4 came with 2 group 27 AGM batteries. Looks like there’s room for a total of 5 in the battery bay for 500 aH (250 usable). The RV came with solar panels preinstalled on the roof. I want to simply replace the existing batteries with two 300 aH lithium batteries. I understand that the charge rates are different, but I’m certain the existing charge controller will allow me to specify a ‘lithium friendly’ program. If I’m willing to live with less than optimal charge rates for the new lithium batteries in exchange for the large increase in storage capacity, is this a simple swap? The only changes I was going to make was to locate the new batteries under the bed and modify the charge parameters with help from the manufacturer. Thanks for your comments!
RedSteelManUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSteelManUSA View Post
My 2019 Dynamax Isata 5 36DS 4x4 came with 2 group 27 AGM batteries. Looks like there’s room for a total of 5 in the battery bay for 500 aH (250 usable). The RV came with solar panels preinstalled on the roof. I want to simply replace the existing batteries with two 300 aH lithium batteries. I understand that the charge rates are different, but I’m certain the existing charge controller will allow me to specify a ‘lithium friendly’ program. If I’m willing to live with less than optimal charge rates for the new lithium batteries in exchange for the large increase in storage capacity, is this a simple swap? The only changes I was going to make was to locate the new batteries under the bed and modify the charge parameters with help from the manufacturer. Thanks for your comments!
Did you read this thread? Anyone know anything about this battery?

I recommend you go with Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. Call them before you buy anywhere else. Toll Free: 855-292-2831
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did read that thread. Maybe I missed something, but the only real concern I heard in that thread was warranty. The battery I was considering was the LifeBlue 300 aH - (300AH RV Boat Lithium Ion Bluetooth Battery | LiFeBlue Battery) - which is lithium phosphate chemistry just like the BBs. Can you offer any insight/advice whether they can be simply swapped out? 8^) I’m not anti-BB, I just like the simplicity of the larger batteries.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSteelManUSA View Post
Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did read that thread. Maybe I missed something, but the only real concern I heard in that thread was warranty. The battery I was considering was the LifeBlue 300 aH - (300AH RV Boat Lithium Ion Bluetooth Battery | LiFeBlue Battery) - which is lithium phosphate chemistry just like the BBs. Can you offer any insight/advice whether they can be simply swapped out? 8^) I’m not anti-BB, I just like the simplicity of the larger batteries.
  • LifeBlue 300.
  • Weight: 83 lbs This is a two person lift!
  • Charge Current: 120A recommended; 150A @ 75° F
  • Discharge Current: 150A continuous,
  • 200A for 30 Minutes, 300A for 3 seconds
  • Battle Born 100Ah
  • Charge Current: 50A
  • Discharge Current: 100 Amp Continuous Current,
  • 200 Amp Surge Current (30 Seconds), 1/2 second surge for higher loads
  • 10 Year Warranty
  • Designed and Assembled in the USA
  • Weight: 31 lbs

Charge & discharge numbers are better with Battle Born.
Weight is an issue at my age (67). I can not lift 83 lbs by myself.
A lot of Forest River Forum Users have installed Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. I have not heard anything negative except the cost.

I recommend you go with Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. Call them before you buy anywhere else. Toll Free: 855-292-2831
I would ask them about LifeBlue 300. They should know their competition.
_
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

I have a Lifeblue 300AH battery. I did need help from a younger neighbor to get it into the rack I made for it. I doubt any thief could get it out without a lot of help, so there's that. They are not quite "drop-in" replacements for the old lead acid because the original charger would never go into bulk mode due to the higher voltage of the LFP looking like a fully charged lead-acid even at low charge. That's okay for me because I normally charge from solar. My solar controller has a "user" mode that I set in accordance with Lifeblue instructions. I also have a 120V input 60A charger that I use for charging from a generator in inclement weather (have used it only three times in two years (I RV 4 months per year).

I have no qualms about BB. I just liked the all-in-one simplicity and cost advantage that I could only get from LB at the time.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote