Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

Any problems with using 2 separate solar controllers?

Hi everyone.
Recently bought an Alta with a 50 watt system preinstalled. Don't want to invest the money yet to upgrade it. I also own a thunderbolt 100 watt system. Can I hook the thunderbolt controller directly to my battery while the preinstalled controller is also attached? (It's a Waaree pwm controller)
Anyone know if this is this acceptable, or will it cause problems with my battery (or either controller)

Thanks for any input.

Steve
srockhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #2

No problem. Send it.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by srockhill View Post
Hi everyone.
Recently bought an Alta with a 50 watt system preinstalled. Don't want to invest the money yet to upgrade it. I also own a thunderbolt 100 watt system. Can I hook the thunderbolt controller directly to my battery while the preinstalled controller is also attached? (It's a Waaree pwm controller)
Anyone know if this is this acceptable, or will it cause problems with my battery (or either controller)

Thanks for any input.

Steve
I have the onboard 50watt panel with the pwm and I also connect 220w with a victron controller with no issues.
johnnynlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srockhill View Post
Hi everyone.

Thanks for any input.

Steve
It's effective and harmless.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:08 AM   #5

Just get the settings between both controller’s the same or close to the same.
As the charge voltage, and float voltage.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #6

That doesn't sound like any problem to me at all. I remember the first time a friend of mine suggested strapping a standard 25 amp battery charger to my battery bank while charging from shore power. The concept almost gave me a heart attack but when I checked it out it wasn't a problem at all and it doubled my charging rate. Same thing seems to work with solar. A lot of folks report using roof mount system supplemented by a portable system and I've never heard of a problem.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #7

Using multiple charging sources, solar, Converter, Battery Charger, etc is no different than filling a swimming pool by using several hoses of different sizes and at different pressures. The pool fills more quickly.

Even if the hoses are connected to a closed container as the internal pressure (in this case a battery) reaches the same pressure as the lowest hose pressure, flow from that source will cease and same for remaining hoses.

The only caveat is that if one has different sized solar panels, each panel or combination of panels will require their own controller but their outputs can all be connected to the same battery.

The oft stated warning "the different sources will fight each other and cause problems" is totally false and just based on total lack of knowledge of how electricity works.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:33 AM   #8

In fact, from what I've read, it is recommended to have separate charge controllers. Works better if one panel is shaded and the other isn't.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
In fact, from what I've read, it is recommended to have separate charge controllers. Works better if one panel is shaded and the other isn't.
If wired in parallel, not a concern. In series there will be loss if one is shaded as you get a drop from the diodes.

Tags
controller, solar