Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

Any solutions for converter high-pitch whine?

DW and DD hear the ultra-high-pitched noise from the WFCO converter when no load is present. It's very bothersome to them. I'm not hearing it (but I'm a former rock and roll musician). I've done some googling/searching and I'm not finding any resolution other than to turn on a light (to add a load) or replace the converter. Has anyone ever experienced this and come up with a fix?

Oh yeah, it's not the fan...
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

I have a PD 4600 that has a whim/hum but I am not sure how one overcomes this.

Al
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

I've got the same issue as dlhoppe. High pitched electrical whine from converter, regardless of load, and it's not the fan. I disconnected the battery to see if related, and no effect; still does it when only connected to 30amp. I disconnected 30amp and reconnected battery... whine goes away. Ideas please? Driving the wife and kids nuts.
lacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

My first thought is a capacitor beginning to fail. If you are not afraid to remove the covers and look you might find a bulged or swollen "can" looking part. Fan noise is a different sound.

Replace if under warranty; repair if not (or upgrade to a higher amp unit if you feel the need).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #5

Thanks Lou for the quick repsonse. Unfortunately I'm about as handy as... well, let's just say I wouldn't know a capacitor if you put one on my plate. I failed to mention that I have a 2011 8317RKSS. Used about ten times, but guessing a problem can happen at any time. Definitely still under warranty, but just set it up on a seasonal site about 4 hours from dealer, so was hoping it was something simple! Alas...
lacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

High frequency whine or squeal is normally an overloaded cap. It could be something else (that caused it to overload) so even a repair is no guarantee it will "stay fixed".

Replace if under warranty.
Call the dealer (and pray they will work with you)
See if they will send the power converter by mail with a swap out so you won't be off line longer than it takes to rewire the power center (could take a few hours by a local electrician or handyman).

Otherwise you will be towing it to them.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #7

Thanks again Lou... think I'll wait until end of season and tow it to them. Based on everything I'm reading in this entire forum, guessing I'll have more issues by then anyways!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Larry,

I hate to say it but you might be smarter to get working on it now. If that cap fails, it can cause a blackout in the camper at best or start an electrical fire at worst.

On the bright side; after the loud "pop"; smoke and flame; it will stop whining.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #9

FYI- Lou is right as usual. The "Caps" that Lou is referring to are called electrolytic capacitors. As they age, they often leak and weaken. This is why it has worked fine and may slowly develop issues. When these electrolytic caps blow, they can bulge at the top, blow out the top, or blow the whole can off the cap. The last one is one of the few things in electronics that we technician still haven't mastered, and that is getting the smoke back into the cap. For some reason (still unknown to this technician), when the magic smoke in the electronic components gets out, it is nearly impossible to get it back in. Once the smoke gets out of one component, others may go also, but the equipment stops working. So, as Lou recommended, I would get it to a shop if it's not under warranty. It may be a cheap repair now, but if that smoke gets out, that will cost ya'!
If one of the caps is leaking, you can see an oily substance on the circuit board around the capacitor (I use a magnifying glass to see it), and it often holds dirt. The electrolytic inside the cap is corrosive to the circuit board and can damage the board with long term exposure to the electrolytic. Depending on the capacitor, most are less than $1.00 USD. May be cheap now, expensive later (if that is the actual problem).
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Thanks Kirt,

I had to use my "Way Back" machine to dig that bit out of my gray matter.

As to the "smoke" joke, that brought back memories too.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #11

FWIW, my fan started running with just one light on, turned out the battery was failing. replaced the battery and the fan/charger only ran with a good load on it.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My first thought is a capacitor beginning to fail. If you are not afraid to remove the covers and look you might find a bulged or swollen "can" looking part. Fan noise is a different sound.

Replace if under warranty; repair if not (or upgrade to a higher amp unit if you feel the need).

Herk,

Thanks for the tip. I'll open my unit up and inspect.

Dave
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
FWIW, my fan started running with just one light on, turned out the battery was failing. replaced the battery and the fan/charger only ran with a good load on it.
That is good to know! I will put that tip in my tip jar!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #14

I would get it checked out, but you might not have anything electrically wrong with the unit. Sometimes, the windings in the transformer come loose. They are dipped in varnish and the varnish cracks. It is not the insulation on the wire but is used to hold the windings in place inside the transformer. The windings will vibrate due to the AC being pumped through them. People with good high frequency hearing will notice the sound. Hopefully, that is your problem. Ear plugs will help.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #15

We have a high pitch whine in our Rockwood Signature, neither the wife or myself can hear it. (age is good for somethings) It does not seem to bother the dogs, however, the grandkids and younger people hear it no problem. I traced it to our propane leak detector, located near the converter. I take the fuse out for the detector, no whine. Put it back in and the whine is back. Test was done without the kids knowing the fuse was in or out.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
We have a high pitch whine in our Rockwood Signature, neither the wife or myself can hear it. (age is good for somethings) It does not seem to bother the dogs, however, the grandkids and younger people hear it no problem. I traced it to our propane leak detector, located near the converter. I take the fuse out for the detector, no whine. Put it back in and the whine is back. Test was done without the kids knowing the fuse was in or out.
That one is going in the Tip Jar, too!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
Anacortesians

The other option is to turn up the volume on the entertainment system!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #18

Thanks Bill C. I'll troubleshoot the LP detector this weekend when I'm up there. Have you explored further if the noise indicates a specific problem with the detector?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #19

Bill C.... where is the fuse for the LP detector located... I can't find a fuse or breaker on the panel for it. Perhaps the fuse is in the LP detector itself? If so, is there much involved in accessing it? Thanks for any additional info that you can provide! Larry
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #20

On my 5th wheel Flagstaf, the fuse is in the wire to the LP detector. Seems like it was within a foot or two. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote