Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #1

Question Anyone know what the circuit breaker labelled "MICRO" controls?

I only ask because it doesn't control the microwave, which was my initial guess. That is controlled by the "GENERAL" breaker.

I got into the panel because my three ceiling-mounted power outlets stopped working. I think I'll just replace them all with Leviton ones without troubleshooting to see which one has gone bad, given the (often commented on) appalling quality of those that are in there now. Would be worth the $10 not to have to worry about whether the wires are still making contact or not from one day to the next.

And I will throw all the breakers before I start - if the one labelled MICRO doesn't control the microwave, who knows which one controls the outlets.

John
Slowly figuring out the meaning of life
thomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #2

I suspect the Micro was for the microwave and the actual wire got put on the wrong breaker Microwaves are normally on there own breaker I wold pull the distribution panel and check the wiring.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

My thought would be. Turn it off and see what does not work. Should take every bit of about 5 minutes.

There is no box installed for the ceiling mounted outlets so you will have more work than you bargained for. If trouble shooting is not your thing than by all means have at it.

My guess is the Micro labeled breaker is for the 3 outlets that are not working in the ceiling since the General breaker is working the microwave.

Just my guess.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Always Learning

My Microwave and Refrigerator breakers were reversed.

On each new RV, I take a non-contact voltage detector and turn off all of the breakers. Then one by one, I turn them on and go check all of my outlets. Don't forget about the water heater + back of the fridge. I make a note file with what controls what so that I can easily remember it.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #5

This is an interesting thread. I had something similar. I looked at my panel and I have two separate breakers labeled "SC Prep" and "2nd AC".

The AC Prep was obviously the factory location but the power to the unit is supplied by 2nd AC breaker.

I turned off the AC Prep and so far nothing I can find is inop. Im guessing it has no wire connected to the breaker at all.

Sounds to me like I have a 20 Amp circuit in search of something that needs power. I will have to look around for something to install. Im open to suggestions
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
This is an interesting thread. I had something similar. I looked at my panel and I have two separate breakers labeled "SC Prep" and "2nd AC".

The AC Prep was obviously the factory location but the power to the unit is supplied by 2nd AC breaker.

I turned off the AC Prep and so far nothing I can find is inop. Im guessing it has no wire connected to the breaker at all.

Sounds to me like I have a 20 Amp circuit in search of something that needs power. I will have to look around for something to install. Im open to suggestions

That is correct. A/C prep is for the non-existent 2nd A/C. That is done per NEC. Breaker and wire in place. Install the 2nd A/C
Old 02-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlinson View Post
I only ask because it doesn't control the microwave, which was my initial guess. That is controlled by the "GENERAL" breaker.

I got into the panel because my three ceiling-mounted power outlets stopped working. I think I'll just replace them all with Leviton ones without troubleshooting to see which one has gone bad, given the (often commented on) appalling quality of those that are in there now. Would be worth the $10 not to have to worry about whether the wires are still making contact or not from one day to the next.

And I will throw all the breakers before I start - if the one labelled MICRO doesn't control the microwave, who knows which one controls the outlets.

John
I must not understand something here and perhaps somebody can teach me what I'm missing.

As I understand your problem, you have three ceiling mounted AC outlets that are not working, am I correct?

If so, why do you believe that it's the outlets that are bad rather than some other circuit issue? It just seems unlikely that all three outlets would fail at the same time and more likely that they are out because of another circuit problem. What am I missing?
Old 02-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

You can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There is no box installed for the ceiling mounted outlets so you will have more work than you bargained for. If trouble shooting is not your thing than by all means have at it.

Just my guess.
(Just to expand on Cavie's comment above...)

You can't replace those outlets with Leviton (except the GFI in the bathroom). These outlets have no terminal screws. They simply clamp over the Romex and contact the copper wires inside. See the picture below. They rarely go bad.

It is much more likely that there is a loose terminal screw at the breaker panel, either black at the breaker or white at the neutral bus. Unplug from AC power and tighten every screw you can find at the breaker panel.

By the way, I can't remember ever seeing an RV with outlets in the ceiling. Is this an A-frame or something? And is it one of those A-frames where you have to plug in an extension cord that runs from the bottom to the top before raising it? If it is, plug in the cord!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Outlet.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	223339  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #9

just following
Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I suspect the Micro was for the microwave and the actual wire got put on the wrong breaker Microwaves are normally on there own breaker I wold pull the distribution panel and check the wiring.
An RV tech once told me mis-identified wiring is common in RV manufacturing. I've not had it on my AC circuits, but not on my 12v I have. Also, the exterior jacks for SAT and Cable were reversed.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
By the way, I can't remember ever seeing an RV with outlets in the ceiling.
Strangely, my Spartan toy hauler has an outlet in the front bedroom's ceiling.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Strangely, my Spartan toy hauler has an outlet in the front bedroom's ceiling.
Front AC prep?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Front AC prep?
No, literally an outlet on a 15amp breaker (along with the outlets at the end tables in the master bedroom, TV in the master bedroom, TV in the garage, and a random outlet on the wall in the garage).

The front A/C is on its own 20amp breaker.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
I must not understand something here and perhaps somebody can teach me what I'm missing.

As I understand your problem, you have three ceiling mounted AC outlets that are not working, am I correct?

If so, why do you believe that it's the outlets that are bad rather than some other circuit issue? It just seems unlikely that all three outlets would fail at the same time and more likely that they are out because of another circuit problem. What am I missing?
As I understand it, the outlets are daisy-chained, so if one goes bad, they all go bad. I did whip them all out last night, and one of them has power to it but no power leaving - I'm assuming that's where the problem lies, but I haven't had a chance to re-wire the outlet yet.

Slow, but progress nonetheless.

John
Old 02-13-2020, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:

You can't replace those outlets with Leviton (except the GFI in the bathroom). These outlets have no terminal screws. They simply clamp over the Romex and contact the copper wires inside. See the picture below. They rarely go bad.

It is much more likely that there is a loose terminal screw at the breaker panel, either black at the breaker or white at the neutral bus. Unplug from AC power and tighten every screw you can find at the breaker panel.

By the way, I can't remember ever seeing an RV with outlets in the ceiling. Is this an A-frame or something? And is it one of those A-frames where you have to plug in an extension cord that runs from the bottom to the top before raising it? If it is, plug in the cord!!!
It's a regular travel trailer, and, strictly, only two of the outlets are ceiling-mounted - the other is on the underside of a cabinet that is.

One of the outlets "went bad" - it had power coming in but not going out to the next in the daisy chain. However, I will take a look behind the breakers to make sure everything looks good back there.

This is the second failure of those push-fit cheapo terminals, and with a bit of judicious wire-stripping and electrical tape (to cover the wire bared by the push-fit connectors) they can be replaced with Levitons.

John
Old 02-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
My thought would be. Turn it off and see what does not work. Should take every bit of about 5 minutes.

My guess is the Micro labeled breaker is for the 3 outlets that are not working in the ceiling since the General breaker is working the microwave.

Just my guess.
Yeah, the "no box" thing is a bit of a problem. I'm thinking of wrapping all the metal parts of the replacement outlets in electrical tape, but I don't know if that's enough. It does appear to be the first outlet in the chain that went bad (I have power to it but not from it), so I may be able to re-use the other two original outlets, although I hate those things - they seem designed for failure.

I haven't yet found anything that ceases to work when the MICRO breaker is thrown.

John

John
Old 02-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #17

Quote:
It's a regular travel trailer, and, strictly, only two of the outlets are ceiling-mounted - the other is on the underside of a cabinet that is.

One of the outlets "went bad" - it had power coming in but not going out to the next in the daisy chain. However, I will take a look behind the breakers to make sure everything looks good back there.

This is the second failure of those push-fit cheapo terminals, and with a bit of judicious wire-stripping and electrical tape (to cover the wire bared by the push-fit connectors) they can be replaced with Levitons.

John
Be sure you insurance doesn't laps.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 AM   #18

Quote:

!
Why can't you replace them? I replaced both receptacles in the living area with standard 15 amp with USB receptacles. I used old work boxes to mount the outlets in and it works fine.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Yeah, the "no box" thing is a bit of a problem. I'm thinking of wrapping all the metal parts of the replacement outlets in electrical tape, but I don't know if that's enough. It does appear to be the first outlet in the chain that went bad (I have power to it but not from it), so I may be able to re-use the other two original outlets, although I hate those things - they seem designed for failure.

I haven't yet found anything that ceases to work when the MICRO breaker is thrown.

John

John
Use old work boxes to mount the new outlets, they work great as the have the "ears" that those junk trailer receptacles have.

Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:01 AM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
Why can't you replace them? I replaced both receptacles in the living area with standard 15 amp with USB receptacles. I used old work boxes to mount the outlets in and it works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
Use old work boxes to mount the new outlets, they work great as the have the "ears" that those junk trailer receptacles have.

Same here. I replaced 4 different outlets and used old work boxes in each case.

Tags
breaker, led