RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 12:45 AM   #1

Awning LED light strip donít work

Hello all,
I am a new person on here and I am glad there is a place for Forest River users. I have an issue with my Salem TT.

I have a 2017 Salem 31KQBTS and my LED light strip under my awning does not work. I was able to turn them on at the beginning of the season but now they donít work. I removed the access cover and pulled out the control module. I un plunged the 12 volt DC power plug from it. Thinking i had a bad control module i bought another set of the exact same LED lights and tried plugging them into the power plug that was wired into the camper behind the wall. They didnít work either. So thinking i have a power issue i checked everything breaker, fuse in the power distribution panel and the fuse panel for the slide outs. Everything was good. I took a multi meter and read 12.28 volts on the off side and when the switch was flipped on, i read 12.28 volts on the on side that sends the power to the awning lights. I can feel the wire connection in the wall and it is tight and i could feel no broken wires. I took my multi meter and tried to read the power at the plug. When i checked the plug i read 0 volts at the plug. So now i am wondering if the plug that plugs into the control module is bad? Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry for the long post but i am at my wits end and i just want my awning lights to work lol.

TIA
Andy
Titan8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 AM   #2

Do you have a switch and remote? I know my switch needs to be on (obviously for power) and/or the remote to work. So if they are left on and I can use the switch and they'll work like a regular light. But if they get turned off by remote, they won't turn back on until the remote is used.
Cidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidewayz View Post
Do you have a switch and remote? I know my switch needs to be on (obviously for power) and/or the remote to work. So if they are left on and I can use the switch and they'll work like a regular light. But if they get turned off by remote, they won't turn back on until the remote is used.
X2
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Forgot to mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidewayz View Post
Hello, thanks for the reply. Yes, i tried using both the remote and the switch. To be honest the remote always gave us issues but we were able to turn on the lights by the switch. I tried both the switch and the remote and no joy.

Andy
Old 10-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #5

I would check the usual. Breaker, broken wires, connections. These usually don't go bad since it is LED, so it simply is not getting power.
Jim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
D W

Have you checked the fuses on the Remote Wireless Receiver? The receiver is generally located in Salem's under the kitchen counter. looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LippertLCIrecvr.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	241946  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan8251 View Post
Hello all,
I am a new person on here and I am glad there is a place for Forest River users. I have an issue with my Salem TT.

I have a 2017 Salem 31KQBTS and my LED light strip under my awning does not work. I was able to turn them on at the beginning of the season but now they don’t work. I removed the access cover and pulled out the control module. I un plunged the 12 volt DC power plug from it. Thinking i had a bad control module i bought another set of the exact same LED lights and tried plugging them into the power plug that was wired into the camper behind the wall. They didn’t work either. So thinking i have a power issue i checked everything breaker, fuse in the power distribution panel and the fuse panel for the slide outs. Everything was good. I took a multi meter and read 12.28 volts on the off side and when the switch was flipped on, i read 12.28 volts on the on side that sends the power to the awning lights. I can feel the wire connection in the wall and it is tight and i could feel no broken wires. I took my multi meter and tried to read the power at the plug. When i checked the plug i read 0 volts at the plug. So now i am wondering if the plug that plugs into the control module is bad? Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry for the long post but i am at my wits end and i just want my awning lights to work lol.

TIA
Andy
Andy, your statement I emboldened is confusing to me.

You said you had 12.28v on the off side and also 12.28v on the on side.

The off side and the on side of what? Are you talking about the light switch?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Andy, your statement I emboldened is confusing to me.

You said you had 12.28v on the off side and also 12.28v on the on side.

The off side and the on side of what? Are you talking about the light switch?
Yes sorry, i meant on both sides of the switch which tells me the switch is good. Some reason power is not getting to the plug for the LED control box that the lights plug into.

Andy
Old 10-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan8251 View Post
Yes sorry, i meant on both sides of the switch which tells me the switch is good. Some reason power is not getting to the plug for the LED control box that the lights plug into.

Andy
Sounds like you are going to need to do some wire tracing. If you have no power to the control box, you'll need to find the feed circuit and look for broken/pinched wiring. Worst case, you might have to run another feed wire to the control.

Someone asked if you found the control box and checked the fuses?

Again, on units with a remote, the switch power won't light the lights if the lights were turned off with the remote. Even though there is power going through the switch, there are relays in the control box that feeds power to the lights from the switch and the remote. Those relays work together and separately depending on the situation of how the lights were turned on/off.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #10

tried it

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Have you checked the fuses on the Remote Wireless Receiver? The receiver is generally located in Salem's under the kitchen counter. looks like this:
Went back and checked every fuse, they were all good. So back to square 1. I can't see the wires in the wall being bad. The last time I use the lights they would not turn off at the switch and I had to unplug lights from the module to get the awning lights to turn off. Not sure what the deal is.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #11

I have a '17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL. I have a rocker switch for the light switch just inside the door. I have a remote for the light, slide and stabilizer jacks (see post #6). And I also have a remote to control the rainbow of colors in the light strip itself. It can be a royal pain to get them all in sync. Trial and error is the only answer I have.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: 2017-39, 2018-61, 2019-64
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light