Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Angry bad battery no indication on control panal

I have a 2008 georgetown 378. I routinely check the house battery charge on the control panel. It shows fully charged. I also check the water level and hydrometer values every few months. This month I found low water levels in all the cells in the right battery. The hydrometer values in the red for all cells in that battery. Obviously the battery is bad. The Left battery is OK. Why did the control panel show fully charged batteries?
jdlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlawrence View Post
I have a 2008 georgetown 378. I routinely check the house battery charge on the control panel. It shows fully charged. I also check the water level and hydrometer values every few months. This month I found low water levels in all the cells in the right battery. The hydrometer values in the red for all cells in that battery. Obviously the battery is bad. The Left battery is OK. Why did the control panel show fully charged batteries?
You have a battery that even though it shows enough voltage to light the display, it lacks the capacity to hold a charge. ie. laptop computer when new, battery will run it for 4 hrs. After 4 yrs, even though it shows full charge, it will only run it for 1/2 hr. Battery needs replacement.
Dual batteries obviously wired parallel have to have all the posts and terminals clean and free of oxidation, corrosion and leakage. Any of that greasy looking scum on the top of the battery should be cleaned with baking soda and water and flushed clean( remove batteries when you do this) All that slime is highly conductive and slowly discharges your battery(s). You can see this with a voltmeter( from one terminal or the other into the scum) These lower use applications need higher maintenance( at least 1x/yr.) and IMHO distilled H2O in them for longest life. BTW, I wouldn't expect to batteries to age at exactly the same rate
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

An old battery will not charge and discharge at the same rate as a new one, you should always keep your batteries matched. You should replace both batteries at the same time.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat