Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #1

Batteries

We just got our new 2021 Vibe 26RK and it came with the 12v only Everchill fridge and two DieHard automotive type batteries. I am looking into upgrading the batteries. Besides lithium what do you guys recommend? I know some guys say golf cart batteries but what brand? Thanks.
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
TC of NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

If you are going AGM or flooded, Trojan.

We have a myriad of battery using machines at my work and they are abused...

Nothing we have tried stand up to Trojan.

Do you need Trojan batteries...probably not but if the price is comparable its an easy call IMO.

No matter what brand you decide make sure you get true deep cycle batteries and not dual purpose.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #3

Generally, the most cost-effective (not the highest, but good quality) golf cart batteries are the ones sold at Sam's Club or Costco. Around $95 each, exact price varies with location in the country. I have Costco membership, not Sam's Club, so that's what I use.

My first set went with the camper when I sold it. Batteries were on their 4th year with no discernible change in performance. My second set on present camper are on their 3rd year, and have performed well to date. I add a little distilled water every 3-6 months. Batteries are fully charged upon return home, and then disconnected until a couple of days prior to next trip.

I sized them to run the A-frame for up to 4 nights of camping with night temps in 30s to 40s, up to 5 hours/night run time on heater. This leaves me at about 50% SOC at the end of 4 nights without recharging. No generator, no solar for me.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T2TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC of NC View Post
We just got our new 2021 Vibe 26RK and it came with the 12v only Everchill fridge and two DieHard automotive type batteries. I am looking into upgrading the batteries. Besides lithium what do you guys recommend? I know some guys say golf cart batteries but what brand? Thanks.
If you do a lot of camping off the grid (boondocking, dry camping) it's hard to NOT recommend Lithium. Twice the available power in one quarter the space and half the weight. Added benefit of being able to install the batteries inside both away from thieves and weather.

Often good things cost more but often don't need to be replaces anywhere near as often as the less expensive option.

If still looking at a pair of 6 V golf cart batteries I'd go with Sams, Costco, or Interstate as warranty service will be pretty much available anywhere. In most cases the batteries are made by either Johnson Controls or East Penn. Brand names are applied for the companies that market the batteries and don't manufacture anything themselves.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #5

So what battery will have more available power AGM or golf cart batteries? Thanks
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
Old 11-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #6

Lead acid, if properly maintained have the longest life of the two.

Space wise, two gc2’s have a small footprint. But, are tall.

Generally, more weight more amps.

AGM are maintenance free.

First purchase should be a battery monitor. Otherwise you are flying while blind.

Modern rv’s have fairly large parasitic loads.

P=I*V. Full batteries are a little over 12.6 volts. 50% is about 12 volts. Got to learn what draws what. The furnace is a killer.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #7

If you want a good battery monitor at 1/3 the cost. I found this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGFFHC6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:25 PM   #8

Regarding the battery monitors do they hook up directly to the battery? Then where would you mount the monitor? Is the monitor wireless and you could mount it on the inside of the trailer on the wall? Thanks
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Regarding the battery monitors do they hook up directly to the battery? Then where would you mount the monitor? Is the monitor wireless and you could mount it on the inside of the trailer on the wall? Thanks
There's a shunt that is installed in line on the chassis ground to the battery. The meter is connected to that with small gage wire. Then you mount the meter wherever works for you.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #10

We ended up installing this battery monitor

and two Crown lead acid 6 volt GC batteries 235 ah from Battery Plus and they also had the correct battery boxes for GC batteries. They were $20 more than the Trojan T105 each but the guy at Battery Plus said the Crowns were better made than the Trojan. The Crown's had the highest ah rating and they guy said they were their best GC battery. So time will tell how well they perform.
Crew Cab Long Bed
Z71 Duramax Diesel
Old 11-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
We ended up installing this battery monitor

and two Crown lead acid 6 volt GC batteries 235 ah from Battery Plus and they also had the correct battery boxes for GC batteries. They were $20 more than the Trojan T105 each but the guy at Battery Plus said the Crowns were better made than the Trojan. The Crown's had the highest ah rating and they guy said they were their best GC battery. So time will tell how well they perform.
Crown makes a fine battery...the Trojan outlasts it when abused in my experience.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #12

Here is a great battery manufacture . lots of solar application batteries . very well built . Changed a set out for a client they were 10 yrs old in his 5th wheel .
https://www.solaris-shop.com/brands/...e-Battery.html
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries