Old 07-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #1

Batteries drain on shore power

Just bought a lightly used 2018 Sunseeker 2400 WSD. Took it out for the first trip and everything worked great. The only problem is that while plugged into shore power the batteries went from full to empty.

What should I check to see why the battery is not charging. TIA!
splacek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Use a multimeter to check the converter's output.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:02 AM   #3

Update: On the second night of the trip, batteries went to empty and even on shore power the AC shut down and lights were dim. Managed to get enough power in spurts to bring the slide in and retract the awning.

Thankfully this was a work the kinks out trip 10 minutes from home, so I'll sleep in the house AC tonight and break camp in the morning. First RV so I'm puzzled why shore power doesn't keep everything running.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by splacek66 View Post
Update: First RV so I'm puzzled why shore power doesn't keep everything running.
Something is definitely wrong. Everything should work when you're plugged into shore power.
You might not be getting 30 amps from the campsite hookup. The cord going into your rig could be damaged. There could be a blown fuse. The converter might not be working correctly. Do you feel comfortable tracking down an electrical problem?
Old 07-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

as mentioned before it sounds like you converter is not supplying 12 volt power. you need to confirm that it is getting 120vac input power and that it is supplying 12 vdc power. if it is getting 120vac input power check the reverse polarity fuses to ensure that they are good and not blown. use a meter for these checks!
Old 07-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Something is definitely wrong. Everything should work when you're plugged into shore power.
You might not be getting 30 amps from the campsite hookup. The cord going into your rig could be damaged. There could be a blown fuse. The converter might not be working correctly. Do you feel comfortable tracking down an electrical problem?
Testing the charge at the battery sure. Running down all those things, probably not. Looks like a trip to the shop.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

This is one of those flashlight and voltmeter searches.

Unless you are good with electricity. Might need help.

Might be easy. Might get you hurt.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by splacek66 View Post
Update: On the second night of the trip, batteries went to empty and even on shore power the AC shut down and lights were dim. Managed to get enough power in spurts to bring the slide in and retract the awning.

Thankfully this was a work the kinks out trip 10 minutes from home, so I'll sleep in the house AC tonight and break camp in the morning. First RV so I'm puzzled why shore power doesn't keep everything running.

Sounds like the first problem to attack is the 120 Volt power supply. Areas to check first are the power cord and power inlet.

Make sure the cord doesn't have damage at either end that reduces or cuts out power coming in. Connectors are notorious for having contacts burned or wires inside broken and providing intermittent contact.

Second would be the wire connections on the back of the power inlet receptacle (unless power cord is permanently attached to a junction box).

If you have a generator it could be the transfer switch.

The big clue to me was when the A/C shut down.

Also, check the reverse polarity fuses in the Power Distribution center. There will be one or more fuses that are not in the main "stack" of fuses for all the 12 volt devices. They'll be separate and marked "Reverse Polarity". May even be slightly hidden. The incoming power issue may have caused them to blow.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
...far N Georgia!

our Rockwood camper had this same problem recently, and while plugged into 120v shore power the whole time... I thought it might be the battery, but found that the converter's fan was not working, and therefore decided to replace the converter - solved the problem. No more 12v or 120v problems.

(and, yes, if your converter is not working properly, and it doesn't supply the 12v power to the Thermostat, your Air Conditioner will suddenly stop, EVEN if you still have 120v shore power)

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #10

dead battery

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The converter packed it mid trip. For some reason I had brought along my battery charger which I hooked up and the dead battery issue was solved. It got me home, changed out the converter, on the road again.

Best of luck, Paul
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #11

Just finished fixing this exact problem on my unit. To diagnose the problem I put a complete charge in my battery (12.5v) reinstalled. Plugged in camper and checked the voltage at the battery with my volt meter. Still at 12.5v. Next step was finding the converter. Itís amazing where the hide these things. Found mine under the steps, just laying on the floor. All three fuses were blown. Replaced them all and fired it back up. Voltage at the battery is now 13.5v, right where itís suppose to be. One of the easiest fixes to a major problem to date. Good lock.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #12

You need a multimeter with a digital readout. Suggest you get a clamp AC/DC multimeter which can be had for around 50 bucks on Amazon. The ONLY function you need immediately is VOLTAGE... with the unit plugged in...check the voltage AT the house batteries SEE YOU TUBE "How to check Voltage" ...SIMPLE
If the voltage you see is 13.2 V or MORE...you have dead batteries since the charger is working. If it is less than 13.2 Volths than you have a problem further upstream starting with the OUTPUT of your charger/converter. Do the same voltage test there.
If it is 13.2 volts or MORE,,, the converter is working and you have a wiring problem between the converter and batteries. If there is no or low voltage at the converter...check the converter fuses to see if any are blown & replace as needed & check again. If that doesn't solve the problem...check the AC input on the other side of the converter to see you have normal household current 115V or so...and if not...the problem is in your wiring TO the converter.
Once you know WHERE the problem is...it's generally not a big deal to fix it. Good luck. Don't believe the lights on the inside the coach panel..,,as TitanMike says...you NEED a multimeter and you want to make friends with it!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
2012 Solera

Simple things first - if you know which breaker the converter is on, flip it fully off, then back on. Mine periodically trips that breaker when I connect to shore power. Don’t know why - suspect big capacitors in the converter charging - it works fine after I reset the breaker.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, drain, power, shore power