Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #1

Exclamation Batteries full but 12v system not working

2020 rockwood minilite- long story hopefully quick fix
Picked up unit, turned batt cutoff on and jack worked great. While plugging in echo brake controller something popped and brakes were locked. Removed brake controlled and had to drive 30 miles to get new fuse for Jeep. Brakes and controller worked fine thereafter.
Arrived and hooked to shore power and all was good.
Left for 3 days with only fridges on. Returned all was good.
Travel day used coffee pot and hairdryer in am without issue. Unplugged shore power and jack then did not work. No 12v would function. I assumed something had drained batteries and that they would charge while driving.
Arrived new site and still no 12v power UNLESS PLUGGED TO TOW VEHICLE.
What I have checked:
Both batteries are at 12.7 volts
All breakers appeared untripped but main and fridge felt a little loose so I reset them anyway.
All fuses pulled and directly visualized and none were bad.
Fuse by batteries and battery cut off was fine.
Only thing I have noticed that I have never seen before is that the jack light emitts a very dim light when off with or without being connected to the tow vehicle. I have never seen this in last two years I’ve had the trailer and it does shut off with battery cut off.

Any ideas? Hidden fuses, breakers that I have missed?
BlueJeep617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #2

There may be a hidden circuit breaked attached the frame. Mine is on the drivers side just back from the front of the trailer. It is a small (about 1" cube) with two studs for the wires with a tiny reset button on the side.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you have 12V power when plugged into shore power and no power when not I would check your battery disconnect and ensure it is in the correct position. Your assumption that your TV would charge the batteries may not be correct unless you drive a really long ways. You can check the disconnect by testing the voltage at the batteries unplugged from shore power then plugin and you should see an increase in voltage if not the disconnect is not in the correct position. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe View Post
There may be a hidden circuit breaked attached the frame. Mine is on the drivers side just back from the front of the trailer. It is a small (about 1" cube) with two studs for the wires with a tiny reset button on the side.

What you are describing sounds like the reset for the slides not the 12V system. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 AM   #5

There should be a resettable circuit breaker somewhere along the A-frame between the battery and the front of your trailer. I always carry a spare one of these just in case. They are usually Gray in color and have a battery connection on one side and a connection on the other where the wire continues on.

As a heads up, there is no way your tow vehicle is going to fully re-recharge a "drained" battery while traveling. Your vehicle simply cannot provide enough amps to make this happen. And, when I say drained I mean a battery that's so low a normal battery charger would take 20 hours to charge.
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
What you are describing sounds like the reset for the slides not the 12V system. JMHO
Both of my trailers had resettable circuit breakers in series with the battery disconnect switch that, when tripped, would kill 12 volts to everything just like the battery disconnect will.

Name:   capture3.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  3.9 KB

My current trailer is mounted beside the battery disconnect switch. My previous trailer it was under the frame on the driver's side about 1/2 between the axle and tongue. Reset button is the little black dot on the side - it pops out when tripped.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #7

I had this happen once. All 12 vDC worked fine before hooking to the TV. At the CG I was hooked up to shore power and all was well. When packing out I had disconnected shore power before hooking up, never again, and the tongue jack would not work. I checked a few 12 vDC and nothing worked. After checking many things a fellow camper had come over and we were discussing this and he told me about that re-setable fuse block under the TT. I had to lie on my back, crawl under the TT a bit just behind the tongue and finally found it. Sure enough I just pushed the tiny re-set button and all 12 vDC worked after that. It was on the drivers side, about two feet behind the tongue area.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Team

As others have explained, you need to check the 12 Volt DC Circuit Breaker with Manual Reset.

It's explained n detail, in this thread link below:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...et-154141.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:30 PM   #9

Thanks

It was the mini circuit breaker. I had found two earlier and after not finding the button on one and did not look hard at the other. On recheck at y’all’s urging I immediately saw the button, pushed it and fixed the issue. Attention to detail 🙄!
BlueJeep617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
On my Rockwood, the slide breaker resets automatically when (if) the overcurrent condition resolves. The breaker that isolates the batteries from the rest of the 12V system does not. It has a button that you have to push. It's a common arrangement.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:36 PM   #11

Having same problem as OP. Just got back from camping trip, have RV and driveway, unhook from truck. I go into RV and push the button for the slide out when it’s about halfway out everything goes dead.Checked breakers and fuses everything good.Found this thread and found the circuit breaker,reset button pushed out but does not stay pushed in when I push it and pushing it did not help.12v will work when plugged back into truck or shore power,so do I just need to replace the circuit breaker?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C68F30FD-F443-4203-8341-598E385C920F.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	274178  
Htownrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, batteries