Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

batteries going dead

2011 Berkshire 360QS. House and chassis batteries going dead, or very low in storage for one month. Batteries replaced this year (house), chassis batteries last year. Both battery switches turned to off in battery compartment. We had our repair man add a third battery off switch for the wire that runs from the inverter to the batteries as well, because I thought that could have been a draw on them. But no, batteries still went down. Any ideas what's next? Thanks.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #2

In storage, disconnect either main positive or negative to stop any drain such as propane detector.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #3

Both house and chassis batteries are in the battery compartment and each has a disconnect switch. Are there any wires whatsoever terminating on the battery positive posts or the battery side of the disconnect switches? It seems there must be some parasitic or spurious device or load drawing current from the batteries. Assuming there is just one such device or circuit, it seems the two batteries must still be tied together through some path, perhaps the device that prevents discharged house batteries from taking the chassis battery down and leaving you stranded.

Personally, I'd want to know what the causes is. However, if the perpetrator cannot be found, it might be time for a trickle charger (battery maintainer). Or maybe one for each battery.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #4

Are batteries connected in parallel? If so and one battery is bad, it can drain the good battery. Might want to isolate each battery and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
2011 Berkshire 360QS. House and chassis batteries going dead, or very low in storage for one month. Batteries replaced this year (house), chassis batteries last year. Both battery switches turned to off in battery compartment. We had our repair man add a third battery off switch for the wire that runs from the inverter to the batteries as well, because I thought that could have been a draw on them. But no, batteries still went down. Any ideas what's next? Thanks.
I have a 2019 GT5 and have had similar problems. What I finally determined is that the coach batteries main disconnect switch (located in entry to left of steps inside) disconnects positive side of “most”, not all, devices in coach. There are three wires connected directly to positive terminal on one of coach batteries, I.e. not inline with main disconnect. So, I installed a ground isolation switch on the negative cable that attaches to frame in battery compartment. When sitting for any length of time turn isolation switch odd, thereby ensuring no closed circuit. That eliminated draw on batteries.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31L5
Go Poly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries