Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Batteries stolen, cables cut

Hi, so recently someone stole the batteries off my 2007 34' sierra sport toy hauler and cut the cables in the process. I am trying to fix it myself but can't find an electrical diagram or anything to figure out what goes where. I have electrical knowledge and the ability to re wire it but I just can't figure out how it was wired to the batteries. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
JDply06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. If they cut the cables can one not just see the pos and neg wire to redo. If not then a little more info . Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Sorry about the loss. If you can publish pictures of the damage it might help if figuring out what goes were.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

Sounds like a simple fix with limited info from the op, who knows?

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Not to sound rude, but if you can't see how the positive and negative cables connect to your RV, then I don't think you are experienced enough to do the job.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #6

How many cables were cut? If it is just the battery cables, how about this:

1) make sure none of the cable ends are touching anything.
2) plug your rv into shore power and then take a volt meter and see which cable is positive and which negative.
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

More info

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. They didn't cut the positive and negative wires from the trailer to the battery but there are 2 additional wires that were cut and I have no idea what they are for. I thought that the batteries were run in parallel but maybe not. The 2 additional wires coming from the trailer are both white and of didnt gauges (one is considerably smaller than the other).
JDply06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

Batteries stolen, cables cut

http://b-drvbatterylock.com

Maybe these might deter any future thieves. I really like the quality

Trace the wires- one may go to you tongue jack.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #9

My battery has connections from the tongue jack and the power from the TV. Every wire on my TT is either Red or Black. Put the Reds together and the Black wires together on the respective battery terminals.

Do not just use a crimp splice to put them back together. They are notorious for later corrosion. Good mechanical connection and solder them together. Again a picture would help.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

just guessing. you said they are not the main battery cables and they are a smaller guage.

brake breakaway switch cable?
power jack cable?
Old 07-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #11

Many toy haulers have a generator, does yours? Mine does, and I have 2 wires going to positive and 2 to negative. Like you said, a smaller gauge wire, one red, one white. I've traced them back from the battery for you, here is a pic of mine. The smaller white goes to the frame GROUND. the smaller red goes first to my breakaway brake control at the back of the tongue, and then on to the axles for brakes. The 2 black are Pos and Neg, to my generator and then to the inside power panel./inverter. I do not have a power tongue jack. My TH is another brand, but most are wired the same if equipped the same.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toy Hauler battery.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	144748  
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
OMG! Must be that time of year! We live in Japer GA and just had our battery stolen too!
They cut our cable. Ok steal the battery... but don't cut the the cables. So feel your pain.
this is our second time the thugs have stolen our battery.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #13

It's all over, I am in Washington, the one to the west, and they got my battery several years ago. I made a lock for the box on that trailer. On this one I use an truck bed tool box and that is where my 2 batterys live now. Also decided to secure my L.P. tanks when I secured the first box and 2 weeks later got up to the tank cover on the ground but the locked tanks still in place. Saved some money there. Makes me angry that we work our butts off for these toys so someone can steal or wreck them so they can whatever it is their hooked on.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #14

I live in what seems to be the "tweaker capital of the world". Just about anything that is not chained, locked, or welded down is going to get stolen. Not a matter if "if", just "when".

Just a few days after I installed two new group 31 batteries on the tongue of my old TT they were stolen. Wasn't parked in my driveway or a storage lot behind a tall fence in my back yard. Called police to make a theft report and the officer told me that they get several calls like this per week. Batteries are quick cash for "Meth-Heads" and other forms of vermin that have infested our society. They are often quick and easy to steal and when sold to recycle yards can yield more than enough money to feed their habit for another day.

My new trailer has two batteries on the tongue but I decided to make it as difficult as possible for any thief. Since my two group 29F batteries won't fit in the factory supplied "rack" I mounted them on top. First a "deck" that I could attach the battery boxes to. The batteries are secured with a Master "Python" cable that wraps around the original rack, through holes in the "deck" and then through two holes in the box lids that allows the cable to rest directly on top of the battery itself in it's center. This design allows for no slack that allows a potential thief to cut or break the battery box(es) and slip the batteries out the end. Any attempt will cause the cable to snag the battery post and no joy to the thief.

The cable lock is easily unlocked so the cable can be slacked off and the lid lifted for service. When done, no key required, just pull the cable tight like a zip tie. Eventually I will be creating a weatherproof and tamper proof cover for all, possibly something to protect the underside of the tongue where battery shutoff and breakaway switch is located.

I did see a fiberglass "fairing" that someone made to enclose the whole front of the tongue, including the propane. Not only kept people from tampering or stealing, looked like it helped with air-flow around front of trailer directly behind a pickup bed. Who knows, might even provide an additional .1 MPG

I do know that after one theft like this one is inclined to go a little overboard with security measures. Too bad the honest people are becoming outnumbered by the "vermin".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, cable