Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
late year trailers have inverters that are multistage and will not overcharge your batteries. Just leave them hooked up to Ac and you will be fine unless your trailer is pretty old.
I think you meant CONverters, not INverters.
All RVs come with converters, few come with inverters.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMan View Post
Water level was not AT or BELOW any of the plates. at this point based on what I'm reading this battery is toast and I will replace.
When TT is parked and hooked to shore power say for up to 6 weeks should the battery be disconnected and then reconnected weekly, monthly to bring it back to full charge. this is something that was not covered by the tech when I picked it up and I do not want to mess up another battery.

If the RV charger / inverter is working properly, you can just leave the camper plugged into shore power non stop. Or, once you've topped off the battery (assuming you've been camping), you can turn the battery switch to "off" and unplug from shore power. If the battery switch isn't turned off those low current draws can pull the battery down over several days.

This time of year I leave the batteries in place with the battery switch off. Once a month I turn the battery switch on, plug into shore power for a day, then unplug and turn the switch off. I usually test the batteries before this maintenance charge and typically find them at 12.7v or 100%.

In case your RV tech didn't mention it, don't discharge more than 50% (12.1v) for maximum battery longevity.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
If the RV charger / inverter is working properly
The charging module it actually called the converter (converts AC to DC to charge batteries and operate DC circuits). An INverter changes DC from batteries to AC power. Figured I'd save Bikendan the trouble, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #24

Oh that was a stupid mistake. I noticed I made the same error in post #14, sorry about that. That's what I get for staying up late.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #25

Hello all
I have a 2020 Rockwood ultra lite. Does anyone have an idea if the charger can be switched between charging lead acid and lithium batteries. I understand all chargers will charge the lithium batteries to 80 percent but charging is slow. If the charger can be switched to charge lithium it will not only charge faster but to 100%. Any thoughts
Thanks
Spragueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragueman View Post
Hello all
I have a 2020 Rockwood ultra lite. Does anyone have an idea if the charger can be switched between charging lead acid and lithium batteries. I understand all chargers will charge the lithium batteries to 80 percent but charging is slow. If the charger can be switched to charge lithium it will not only charge faster but to 100%. Any thoughts
Thanks
Check the model #

If it is a WFCO converter, the models below are lithium converters.
WF-8950L2PEC
WF-8950L2-MBA
WF-9850L2

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #27

Buy a battery charger that can be used with your battery configuration. You can remove the battery from it’s housing or set it up to charge in your garage.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #28

I use a battery minder when my Rv is in storage . They sell them at Northern tools .
cajunmansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #29

Agreed but one question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
You need to keep your batteries charged by plugging it in or disconnecting the battery by removing the ground side connection.
Shutting off using the battery disconnect switch that you may or may not have does not disconnect everything. If anything is connected your battery will discharge and be on the road to ruined over time.
I feel it is better to disconnect battery after it is fully charged and then top it off once a month. Leaving a standard battery plugged in and charging all the time will boil out the water eventually. Usually right before your next trip.
Why is disconnecting the ground better than the positive. I started disconnecting the positive after discovering that something was grounded to the frame as was the battery. Things ran while the negative was disconnected. This meant that something in the trailer was becoming a neutral. Current was running one appliance through another backwards. Not good.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #30
Site Team

Disconnecting either terminal will shut of everything as there needs to be a complete circuit from and to the battery. It is suggested that you disconnect the ground because if the wrench you are using touches the frame while disconnecting the positive, you will have a very exciting short. If you are disconnecting the ground and touch the frame nothing happens. If there is nothing connected to the ground terminal ( and the converter is not on) no 12V appliance in the RV will operate.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #31
2014 Heritage Glen

I put a battery disconnect switch on the battery’s positive lead. Then keep a battery trickle charger on my battery during the winter months. I guess a solar charger could be used also. I do check the battery water every month. Then in the Spring I plug the trailer back into it’s 30A circuit and leave it connected during the season. Make sure the disconnect switch has the current capacity for your unit, i.e. 30 or 50A. They can be purchased at a marine/boat dealer or on-line. I make sure the main fuse from the battery is between the switch and battery. Always use distilled water to fill battery.

2014 Forest River, Wildwood, 298RE Heritage Glen TT
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Rwgrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #32

On my first RV the chassis/start battery would go dead even with the rig hooked up to shore power. The solution was a simple brass lever type disconnect on the negative battery terminal, like flipping a switch. Never had a problem with my Georgetown or current rig which I leave plugged in at home year-round.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #33

Has anyone used a solar panel to maintain their batter during storage? Or is this a wise procedure?
Whispering Pines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #34

a Solar maintainer!

Not a bad plan. Make sure if a cheap one it has the one way diode.

A fully charged battery disconnected from any draw will easily weather winter in most climates.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbott View Post
Has anyone used a solar panel to maintain their batter during storage? Or is this a wise procedure?

I keep my two batteries in a Torklift Power Armor solar locking battery box which keeps my batteries topped up while in storage.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

Curious if the OP, Walker20, ever plugged his RV in.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #37

Can you give me more information on this product? I'm going to store my TT for the summer in the South, live in the North. TU!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #38

When parked outdoors I use a solar charger. Indoors, of course, it won't work. Just plug into 120vAC if available -- any extension cord and the proper connector to the vehicle will work -- and use the already available converter.

Negative terminal disconnect is the best practice in automobile and RV safety. For starters there should only be one (1) cable connected there (goes to the trailer frame) while there are frequently several attached to the Positive. Simplicity. Whatever works though. you do any work on your car you'll be disconnecting the Negative cable -- why have a different procedure for the trailer?

-- Chuck
Old 02-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #39

Solar charger

Thanks Chuck, sound like a plan. TU!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #40

When I store my Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS, I use the factory installed battery cut off switch to kill the power to the trailer. I have left it that way for up to 3 months at a time. Summertime temperatures in the upper 90’s and winter temperatures down to freezing. No problems as of this post! I have opened the slides and the awning after such extended periods and have not noticed too much of a difference than when the trailer is on ac power or plugged into the TV while it is idling.
I do have an old solar panel with a charge controller that I saved from the mid nineties when I used it to recharge the battery on my pop-up (and later Cub) when boondocking in NY Adirondacks. I haven’t used it because such things tend to “disappear” when left unattended for extended periods of time.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery