Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #1

Battery and generator problem??

Rig: 29' Coachman Freedom Express
Added 1 Go Power Solar Panel
2 12v deep cycle batteries in Parallel, less than a year old
Westinghouse Generator
30 amp shore power

Thanks in advance for any feedback on how to diagnose this problem

We went on our first boon docking experience and prior to going I ran the basic systems on the batteries only for 2 days, solar panel seemed to keep up with battery recharge, no apparent issues.

At camp spot, we started the generator, used a surge protector, connected to 30A output on the generator. Ran AC, microwave, and TV as a test. No apparent issues, everything seemed to run fine.

After running generator for about 3 hours, shut the generator down and I left everything connected. Overnight the batteries discharged to the point the heater would not run due to low voltage. I thought maybe leaving the generator plugged in was the problem so I pulled the plug. Batteries seemed to charge with solar over the course of the day, my panel indicated they were fully charged.

Ran the generator again for a few hours in the afternoon with the AC running. I unplugged the generator, but overnight the batteries went dead again. Now the batteries don't hold a charge well enough to keep the very basic system running, refrigerator/heat.

Something definitely changed from my testing before we went on our trip, and the only difference I can think of is using the generator and running the AC.

So far, I have checked the water level in the batteries, which was ok, and I'm planning on charging the batteries and load testing tomorrow. A service manager at the RV shop suggested a problem with the power converter but I have no idea where that is on my rig, or how to test it

I would appreciate any help with thoughts on what may have happened, and what to check for problems. It seems unlikely that the batteries would be bad when they are both less than a year old, but who knows.

Thanks again for the help, Darel
4_Dogs_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #2

wow!

obviously that batteries are not getting fully recharged.

when you say the solar fully recharged them that may well not be the case. the idiot lights you read will always show fully charged whenever there is a recharge voltage getting to the batteries. this was coming from the solar and it only indicates 'being recharged' but not necessary fully charged.

as far as running the generator for a couple of hours that may not be long enough to fully recharge the batteries. it can take many hours to get a full charge into them.

as far as the comment about the converter that is jut a guess also. the only way to confirm that is to use a meter to measure the actual voltage that the converter is outputting. for your peace of mind plug into shore power, stop any solar charging and measure the actual voltage at the batteries. something around 13.6 volts or higher would indicate that converter is working. if it is, leaver it plugged in for 24 hours or so and let if fully recharge the batteries.

many people will tell you to install a shunt based battery monitor. i use the victron smart shunt ($130) and it provides very good information about the state of the batteries and the amount of current flowing into and out of the batteries. i believe there are less expensive monitors that can provide the same information.

hope this helps!
Old 09-08-2022, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
as far as running the generator for a couple of hours that may not be long enough to fully recharge the batteries. it can take many hours to get a full charge into them.
^^^ x2. If you are running the ac with the generator for 3 hours, there is probably not enough charge left over to recharge the batteries, and it will take many hours to recharge them, depending on how much they've been discharged. You don't mention the size of your generator or your air conditioner.

The fact that you're running the heater overnight could account for the batteries being depleted. The propane heater uses electric fans to distribute the heat and we've seen people shaking their heads in the morning (or the middle of the night) when the heater drained the batteries and they woke up cold.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds like the OP's batteries are probably the cheap dual-purpose 12v Group 24 marine batteries that dealers install.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #5

Pretty sure your batteries are dead. You stated you checked the water. Draining a FLA (flooded lead acid) battery all the way down will almost certainly kill it. X2 on the battery monitor.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #6

A volt meter interpreted correctly, should indicate the state of charge. During the charging cycle, the voltage should be 13.8 to 14.1 volts. After charging and allowing about 1 hr for the no load surface charge to bleed off, the voltage should be 12.5 or so. If it ever, during use, drops below 11.9, this is an area of discharge where permanent battery damage will occur.

We have the idiot lights on our trailer. With shore power or generator running, the lights always indicate a full charge or 100% as this is the voltage being delivered to the battery and not the status of the charge.

Sounds as though the solar wasn't adequate to charge the batteries.

If not already done so, change all bulbs to LED types to save energy. Run the refrigerator and water heater on propane to save battery energy. Go to bed with the chickens and get up with the roosters.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:21 AM   #7

Thank you, and follow up question

Thank you all for your initial feedback. I have some additional information to answer some of the questions posted. Also, some practical questions.

The batteries I have now are flooded lead acid, and together they provide about 160 amp hours

My generator provides:

Gas: 5300 watts running, 6500 peak
Propane: 4800 watts running, 5800 peak

I used both gas and propane to run the AC which seemed to work.

I don't know the size of my AC, I need to check that, but the dealer told me to buy a generator with at least a 3000 watt capacity.

I believe my solar panel is a 190 watt solar module, 30 amp, lithium capable.

One thing I am curious about, what type of battery should I look at for replacement if I go that direction. How many amp hours do I need given that I planned on using my camper for hunting, without campground connections. No heat = bad things when hunting.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Darel
4_Dogs_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Sounds like the OP's batteries are probably the cheap dual-purpose 12v Group 24 marine batteries that dealers install.
x2... you gotta look carefully at the batteries
are they proper deep cycle that can be deeply discharged.

The hybrid marine starting / deep cycle battery is NOT a good battery for trailers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Try not to run everything in the trailer when you are expecting the charging system to top up the batteries.

Measure the DC amperage going into your batteries while they are being charged ...

if amperage is about 20amps and you have 200ah of fully discharged batteries it will take 10 hours to replenish the batteries.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_Dogs_Camping View Post
My generator provides:

I don't know the size of my AC, I need to check that, but the dealer told me to buy a generator with at least a 3000 watt capacity.
How many amp hours do I need given that I planned on using my camper for hunting, without campground connections. No heat = bad things when hunting.
Forget about using your batteries to power your rig when you're off grid for hunting.
That's what you have the generator for and your dealer pointed you in the right direction to a large generator. Now all you need is a supply of propane and run it to operate the rig, probably at night. Running it on propane significantly reduces the amount of maintenance you have to do on the generator.

You need a battery monitor to tell you how charged your batteries are because you need battery power to operate the trailer brakes.

I don't have any specific battery to recommend, but you might want to ask your dealer what they recommend. Installing an extra battery will extend the time you can use them, but to keep you warm overnight, you should be relying on the generator.

You might try running the generator when you come back from hunting, shut it off when you go to bed and see how long you can run on batteries. I'm not recommending that, however, because you don't want to run the batteries down. Keep in mind that the colder it gets, the longer the furnace will run and pull down the batteries.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_Dogs_Camping View Post
Thank you all for your initial feedback. I have some additional information to answer some of the questions posted. Also, some practical questions.

The batteries I have now are flooded lead acid, and together they provide about 160 amp hours

My generator provides:

I believe my solar panel is a 190 watt solar module, 30 amp, lithium capable.

One thing I am curious about, what type of battery should I look at for replacement if I go that direction. How many amp hours do I need given that I planned on using my camper for hunting, without campground connections. No heat = bad things when hunting.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Darel
Minimum would be a pair of 6v golf cart batteries, hooked up in series.
If you have the money, a pair of LiPo batteries would be the best but expensive.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator