Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #1

Battery Black or White Wiring for Postive Post

I have purchased a wonderful used pick up truck Forest River camper, unfortunately the 12 volt battery was missing. I purchased a new battery but now I don't know which wire Black or White goes to the positive battery post. Can anyone help me?
DavidO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Good question ?
jiggerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

With a volt-ohm meter measure each wire to the frame rail, the ground wire will show continuity or almost zero ohms.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
With a volt-ohm meter measure each wire to the frame rail, the ground wire will show continuity or almost zero ohms.
Exactly! and if your ohm meter has a "continuity" setting, it will sound a tone when you touch the frame with one lead and the correct ground wire to the other lead.

In every RV I have had, the White wire is ground, and the Black wire is +12v positive. Which is kind of bass-ackwards from typical BLACK IS GROUND automotive wiring.
WR450rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #5

On mine the white is + and the black is -.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy
On mine the white is + and the black is -.

Interesting
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

The continuity test described is the only sure way to tell.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Interesting
Remember, Turbs, they do things different north of the Mason-Dixon.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
The Ole Coot------------

The Ole Coot should know, I understand he had the line moved south of him!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Interesting, I wonder if the 110 is color coded like the 12 volt or if it is opposite like most home wiring? Never thought much about it on my rv.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Hob

I think somewhere in the RV manufacturer manual is an oath they sign and send back to the RV gods that is designed to keep up guessing.

My volt/ohm meter is my best friend when working any electric issue in my TT. I also tag any wire I work with when I find where it comes from and goes to in the trailer. I use a white paper tag with a string in it for that purpose.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
The Ole Coot should know, I understand he had the line moved south of him!

HE MOVED IT HIMSELF !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Moved it to the MO-IA line when I lived in MO. There is a reason why all the trees in north Mo lean to the north.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Interesting, I wonder if the 110 is color coded like the 12 volt or if it is opposite like most home wiring? Never thought much about it on my rv.
I always figured they color coded the rv's more like in AC home wiring, since the rv's plugged into AC.

It seems like that would cut down on the confusion (especially with all the dual AC/DC powered stuff in an RV), more so than if you used part of the color codes for DC wiring, then part of the color codes for AC wiring.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
My forest river product------------

My Forest River product (ROCKWOOD) 12VDC positive + wire is yellow with a green stripe, the negative - is solid white. But it is better to use a VOLT meter to determine which is POSITIVE and which is NEGATIVE.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
In accordance with Coachmen schematics Red is always the predominate supply feeders. After connection to bus or devices they may take out many colors to carry the + signals. They use white as return to ground on all devices I sighted. Auto Batteries are always red + and black ground.
Household is Red and Black 110 feeders for 220V, with white neutral returns. Most 110 feeds in household is black feed and whte returns.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #17

Quote:
110 and 12 volts color codes are different. Even 12 volt color codes are different depending on if the system is grounded or not. I have a toy hauler and it uses a negative ground and uses red (+ or hot wire) and white (- or ground wire) wires, which follows the correct color code. Newer automobiles are red (+ or hot wire) and black (- or ground wire). Some older ones were wired the opposite way (not good). Here is a link to the US National Electrical Code (NEC) color chart that should be used. Scroll to the bottom for 12 volt systems: Wiring Color Codes : COLOR CODES I'm guessing some trailers are color coded incorrectly.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

So I guess my answer is there is no standard.

I have always used red and black as + on AC and white as -. And on all dc I have used red as + and black as - unless schematics state other wise(ie. Left right and running lamps). I have been under semi dashes and seen nothing but yellow wires- what a nightmare!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #19

Quote:
So I guess my answer is there is no standard.

I have always used red and black as + on AC and white as -. And on all dc I have used red as + and black as - unless schematics state other wise(ie. Left right and running lamps). I have been under semi dashes and seen nothing but yellow wires- what a nightmare!
Actually there really is, but loose. We said the same thing as the NEC chart US DC standard. Only just forget the positive to chassis connection, white hot. Its been since the 6V system of the 1950's its been obsolete. Gets tricky with the colors but a heck of lot easier to trace point to point through the rv.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
2003 "Wildwood" owner

In normal wiring with only a black and a white wire, the black would be the hot side. That only if there are only two wires as you described. If you don't know which one is the neutral. Use a meter and put one lead on a good frame ground and place the other on the wire. with the meter set up for continunity or ohms, you should get a reading if that wire chosen is a ground. If nothing happens on the meter try the other wire. One of them should be tied into the frame ground.

But you never know without a true schematic how it was wired by the person at the factory, so using the meter to test for the ground wire is the only way to find your answer.
retiredff2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery