RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Battery boiling off

Need some quick advice. I'm currently camping in branson mo, and noticed that one of the batteries was cooking off.

I pulled the vent in caps and saw that the water level was at the top of the cells. Not having distilled water available,no used bottled to fill it up. Checked later and it was still hot and steaming.

I disconnected from shore power and should have enough to keep the furnace running and lights on. However, why would one battery be cooking, and the other connected in parallel not.

Thanks for any info

Neil Z
NukePuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukePuke View Post
Need some quick advice. I'm currently camping in branson mo, and noticed that one of the batteries was cooking off.

I pulled the vent in caps and saw that the water level was at the top of the cells. Not having distilled water available,no used bottled to fill it up. Checked later and it was still hot and steaming.

I disconnected from shore power and should have enough to keep the furnace running and lights on. However, why would one battery be cooking, and the other connected in parallel not.

Thanks for any info

Neil Z
Disconect the battery or plural. Cover the battery connection wires so not to touch any metal or other type of ground. Plug back into shore power. I think you probably have a bad cell in the battery and it is unstable. Dont use it untill you can replace/ test it. I hope this helps.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Update:. Battery is still hot even with shore power off.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Update:. Battery is still hot even with shore power off.
Like I said disconect them. Use the power pole.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Disconect the battery or plural. Cover the battery connection wires so not to touch any metal or other type of ground. Plug back into shore power. I think you probably have a bad cell in the battery and it is unstable. Dont use it untill you can replace/ test it. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice, disconnected the positive wires from the one battery, insulated the open ends with duct tape for the time being, and it cooling down.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking of doing.

This will get us through the night, and I'm off to the local o'reilly's for a new battery in the morning
Old 10-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, disconnected the positive wires from the one battery, insulated the open ends with duct tape for the time being, and it cooling down.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking of doing.

This will get us through the night, and I'm off to the local o'reilly's for a new battery in the morning
Im glad ro help I an ASE certified technician/ instructor. I know its not fun camping with problems. If i can lend my knowledge never mind.

Tags
battery