Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question Battery Charger Question or Elec' Problem

In June we did 4 nights of dry camping (w/ the genny on in the mornings). No problems w/ the 12V side. A week ago we spent 4 nights in a provincial park w/ shore power. We come home and I get ready for another weekend of dry camping.

The day after I set up the TT, I check the fridge and it's not working. I check the 12 volt lights, water pump, etcetera & nothing works. The breakers aren't tripped & no fuses are blown. I borrow a friend's genny (mine isn't onsite yet @ the time) & everything works. I take the batteries home w/ me and try to charge them. One is supposedly fully charged, while the 2nd shows 66%. I go back to the TT & install the batteries & none of the 12V stuff works. As a result I had to run the genny the whole weekend to run the fridge.

I hook up the TT to the truck & plug in the 7 pin & I have 12V to everything. I get home Mon' night & check the output lugs on the WFCO power converter & I get 13.6V. I check the voltage @ the battery cable & nothing. One of the 12V batteries is 2 years old, while the 2nd is 1 year old (purchased when I added a 2nd battery).

I'm very hesitant about electrical work, so I dropped the TT off @ the RV service centre my brother & I deal w/.

From what I've posted, does this sound like the battery charger has failed or an "open" circuit to the battery(s)?

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

my first thought is a fuse near the battery. looks like when u apply power from an alternate source all works...just can't get it from the battery.

i was going to suggest a battery disconnect but it appears if that was off, the lighting etc would be separated from the bat.

a breaker for the battery or a fuse that separates the battery is still the most likely. i would trace the line from the battery back. there is bound to be a fuse or breaker mounted near it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I picked up the trailer yesterday & they replaced a 40 A breaker. Everything is good. Now my next question is (since I never asked @ the shop where it was located) "Where is this breaker?" The only breakers in the power centre are 15 A. I looked in the junction box, but there didn't appear to be a breaker located there.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I picked up the trailer yesterday & they replaced a 40 A breaker. Everything is good. Now my next question is (since I never asked @ the shop where it was located) "Where is this breaker?" The only breakers in the power centre are 15 A. I looked in the junction box, but there didn't appear to be a breaker located there.
its possible its located real close to the battery as mine is .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #5

Likely right in the a-frame. Follow the positive wire from the battery, and you'll likely find that fuse withing 3 feet.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It might even be in a junction box just under the camper
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'll crawl under tomorrow and have a better look.

Tags
battery