Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Battery Charging Question

2008 Flagstaff 831rlss TT
Charging Question. TT plugged in to electricity at home. Battery losing charge?
Took battery out to recharge and low voltage alarm starting chirping. Charged battery to full charge. 24 hours later battery down to 25% on control panel.
Any suggestions why battery is losing charge while plugged into current.
Battery is good.
1st SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

Could be a bad battery, shorted cell
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Buy one of these that will tell you the battery status by cell Battery Hydrometer | eBay
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Had battery tested yesterday and it tested good!
Main concern is that electricity is not maintaining the charge.
1st SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

what is the voltage across the terminals when you are plugged in and the converter is charging... mine says 13.4 (ish)- I would not go by the lights on your panel.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Test your individual cells as stated. Your relying on the load test I assume, and that it showed good bat. and assume done correctly, with good equipment for the deep cycle bat. Something is knocking your bat down in a 24 hr period. Unless you eliminate the bat from the equation, you're going to remain in a guessing game. It is a handy tool to own for testing bat status. If it test fine (all cells) then your on to what is drainingthe bat that rapidly. If all you said is correct, you have a seious drain somewhere after you eliminate the bat from the equation. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Do you have a load tester to check current draw?
I had a similar problem and it was my radio. It was turn off but with display on was drawing 5 amps. Turned off problem went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

There are several parasitics that draw down your batteries, some not easy to find. Put a cutoff switch between the bat and the camper and leave it off when not in use.
My outside entertainment center radio, tv signal amp, co2 detector were depleting my 2 batteries in 3 days. I installed a 4 way marine battery disconnect switch [bat#1, Bat#2, both or OFF] which cured the problem. I now have 24/7 solar and don't worry about turning anything off. Batteries never drop below 12.8 vdc. They generally stay around 13.8vdc.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Check to insure that the break away switch has not been activated by accident. That will drain your battery in no time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

He said it is drawing down even when the camper is plugged in. Suggests the converter is not charging. It may just be a bad converter all around.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
He said it is drawing down even when the camper is plugged in. Suggests the converter is not charging. It may just be a bad converter all around.
X2 I agree, sounds like the converter went south.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
X2 I agree, sounds like the converter went south.
X3 if your connected to shore power the converter/charger should be keeping your battery fully charged. Check you converter/charger. Maybe you blew a low voltage fuse or worse case the converter is bad.
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #13

I installed a battery cut off switch at the battey neg. post. This will stop battery drain...
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Along this topic ..

If I don't plan on any camping for a month or two. Does the group think/know it's ok to just let the battery die and then I recharge it fully prior to departure?
This is an alternative to purchasing a battery tender and leaving it plugged in for two or three months with no planned camping
Greg

Greg

2014 24 IKSS Roo
2012 F150 Quad cab eco boost w/tow package
fyrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdad View Post
Along this topic ..

If I don't plan on any camping for a month or two. Does the group think/know it's ok to just let the battery die and then I recharge it fully prior to departure?
This is an alternative to purchasing a battery tender and leaving it plugged in for two or three months with no planned camping
Greg

Greg

2014 24 IKSS Roo
Dont let it Die,just take off a cable,any Good Batt. should last 2-*3 months! Youroo!! PS a Dead Batt will freeze & Bust!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #16

The battery is already dead(it's how sister in law left it to me) I removed the battery and have it in my garage, was planning on fully charging it and then leaving it alone

Greg

2014 24 IKSS Roo
fyrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdad View Post
Along this topic ..

Greg

Greg

2014 24 IKSS Roo

unhooked your battery should not lose full charge if it's a good battery . just charge when you get ready to leave
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #18

If I read this correctly, all of this happened with the TT plugged in to shore power. If that is correct, the battery should never go dead in this situation unless there were loads turned on that in total, exceeded the output capacity of the converter. On my rig that is 70 AMPS of DC.

Now, when you are connected to shore power, the battery gauge on the panel will always read 100% since it sees the output of the converter which is at least 13.25 volts and a full battery is less than that. As such, if you are plugged in to 110V and the battery gauge reads less than 100% either your converter is dead, it has a blown fuse, it is turned off at the breaker panel or something is wired incorrectly.

When you take the battery out and are still plugged in to shore power, do the lights work? If they do, the converter is at least putting out 12 volts or something near that.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #19

If you let a battery go completely dead, odds are you won't be able to charge it up again. Dead is DEAD! If it does take a charge, it probably won't hold it. Install a new battery AND a disconnect switch and do it right. IMHO, I wouldn't leave home with the old battery onboard.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
If I read this correctly, all of this happened with the TT plugged in to shore power. If that is correct, the battery should never go dead in this situation unless there were loads turned on that in total, exceeded the output capacity of the converter. On my rig that is 70 AMPS of DC.

Now, when you are connected to shore power, the battery gauge on the panel will always read 100% since it sees the output of the converter which is at least 13.25 volts and a full battery is less than that. As such, if you are plugged in to 110V and the battery gauge reads less than 100% either your converter is dead, it has a blown fuse, it is turned off at the breaker panel or something is wired incorrectly.

When you take the battery out and are still plugged in to shore power, do the lights work? If they do, the converter is at least putting out 12 volts or something near that.
Plugged into shore power 24-7 for a few months can ruin a battery . it will be charge all the time by the converter and no drain will cause the battery to sulfate and shorten it's life span . While i stay plugged in all the time i use the battery disconnect . then ill run the batteries down once a month about 40% and charge them up . this keeps them in good shape
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging