Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

Battery charging wire from TV

My TV is a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica, Trailer is a 176 MAC. I need to run a wire to my 7 pin connector to charge Trailer battery.
I would like to have it setup up with a relay to shut off when ignition is off.
I have a couple Micro2 fuses in fuse block that are powered up with ignition switch that I could use.
Here's my problem, if I use a fuse tap I don't think it will fit in the position that fuse is located, [right next to a relay}. They seem to take up a lot of room in fuse box . I've seen fuse taps that are just metal tabs the fit over the fuse leg .but they don't seem to make them in Micro2 fuse size.
My TV also has 4 fuses that are for a trailer, 2 that are listed as trailer power and 1 each for left and right turn, brake .
My TV did not come with towing package although it is available on this model
I'm wondering if there is a factory connector at rear of TV for these circuits.
It would have been nice to be able to use these instead of buying the aftermarket wiring harness.

So, to get to my point, I need suggestions to get power from my fuse block to relay in a clean safe manor and also if anyone has a 2017 /2018 Pacifica TV that can answer my questions about the trailer circuits in fuse block and where they terminate.

Thanks,
Ben
benfox49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

I assume some salesman told you that you can tow this?

Your Chrysler Pacifica has a 1500 pound maximum towing capacity. Your trailer weighs more than that "empty" and probably 800 pounds more than that loaded. No surprise there's no trailer battery charge line or 7-pole connector on the back.

Check the options list for what's in the HD tow package. May be simple to add. May require mechanical modifications as HD tow will pull 3600 (not 1500) pounds.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Also be aware that just "running a wire" may not provide enough current to recharge your battery. There are several discussions on the forum regarding the upgrades needed to accomplish this.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I assume some salesman told you that you can tow this?

Your Chrysler Pacifica has a 1500 pound maximum towing capacity. Your trailer weighs more than that "empty" and probably 800 pounds more than that loaded. No surprise there's no trailer battery charge line or 7-pole connector on the back.

Check the options list for what's in the HD tow package. May be simple to add. May require mechanical modifications as HD tow will pull 3600 (not 1500) pounds.

-- Chuck
The 176 MAC weighs 1550 empty , I don't plan on carrying much in the way of cargo, so I'm comfortable with pulling it.

Ben
Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Also be aware that just "running a wire" may not provide enough current to recharge your battery. There are several discussions on the forum regarding the upgrades needed to accomplish this.
Not sure what you mean by " just running a wire" , My plan is to run a #10 wire from Battery switched on and off through a relay controlled by ignition.

How else would I power it?

Ben
Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

You're aware your trailer exceeds your maximum capacity when both the trailer and van are empty so there are probably liability and legal ramifications to towing it when something goes wrong. Probably warranty issues with the infamous weak Chrysler transmission as well. Max towing capacity is computed with only a 150 pound driver in the vehicle. Add your family, dogs, and other stuff and the real towing capacity is closer to 1000 pounds with this inadequate vehicle.

You'll probably get away with it for a while...

-- Chuck
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #7

If you Google "how to wire chrysler pacifica for trailering" you will find a lot of information on this including videos on how to do the wiring from eTrailer and other sources and some step-by-step descriptions with photographs.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfox49 View Post
Not sure what you mean by " just running a wire" , My plan is to run a #10 wire from Battery switched on and off through a relay controlled by ignition.

How else would I power it?

Ben
There are a number of things that can come into play, such as alternator size, wire size, voltage conversions, etc. A search of the forum, and other sources, will give you much info.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
You're aware your trailer exceeds your maximum capacity when both the trailer and van are empty so there are probably liability and legal ramifications to towing it when something goes wrong. Probably warranty issues with the infamous weak Chrysler transmission as well. Max towing capacity is computed with only a 150 pound driver in the vehicle. Add your family, dogs, and other stuff and the real towing capacity is closer to 1000 pounds with this inadequate vehicle.

-- Chuck
I appreciate your concern , but really just looking for someone who may have knowledge of the Pacifica trailer wiring circuits that are already built into my van.

Ben
Old 03-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #10

since I'm not sure if I have the 180 or 220 amp alternator ,I think I'll just not run the wire for the battery charging.
thanks for the responses.

Ben
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:

-- Chuck

You can lead a horse to water,...….. well, you know the rest.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:

-- Chuck
Funny that the weak transmission is capable of pulling 3600 lbs with towing package ,my van has the transmission cooler as does the towing package equipped ones.
I've owned 6 chrysler vans ,pulled a cargo trailer loaded with cabinets and cabinet biulding material on many occasions with no problems of any kind and no transmission issues.
I posted a question about wiring ,and get your opinions about the quality of my TV, I thought this forum was to help answer questions, I guess I made a mistake.

Ben
Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #13

Sorry Dude, we didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just hate to see you possibly damage your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overloaded-vehicles-7.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	198112  
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
I thought this forum was to help answer questions, I guess I made a mistake.
Not a complete mistake but good forums will not enable folks to create or drive unsafe rigs. You opened up a can of worms when you told us you were going to tow with such an inadequate vehicle. We, or at least I, would rather you not tow overloaded.

HD Towing packages typically include a HD transmission cooler/radiator and often a better engine radiator. See what yours should have to tow much more than 1000 pounds (1500 pounds minus the load in the minivan).

Chrysler transmissions are notorious for failing in towing applications. An auxiliary transmission cooler is literally mandatory without the tow package.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Not a complete mistake but good forums will not enable folks to create or drive unsafe rigs. You opened up a can of worms when you told us you were going to tow with such an inadequate vehicle. We, or at least I, would rather you not tow overloaded.

HD Towing packages typically include a HD transmission cooler/radiator and often a better engine radiator. See what yours should have to tow much more than 1000 pounds (1500 pounds minus the load in the minivan).

Chrysler transmissions are notorious for failing in towing applications. An auxiliary transmission cooler is literally mandatory without the tow package.

-- Chuck
Chuck,

You got me wondering, so I checked the specs of my Pacifica, it comes standard with a 220 amp alternator and a transmission oil cooler.
I have an after market class 3 hitch installed.
I'm not sure about the radiator ,but will check with dealership. Mine has the stop -start system so has a very large capacity battery

So, it has most of the features of the factory towing package already installed.

Hopefully now maybe I can get a response to my actual question.

thanks,
Ben
Old 03-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #16

How about a simple, in line fused, charge wire running off the positive terminal of the battery? This separates the charge wire from everything else in the Pacifica.
Unplug the TV from the TT when parked/camping.
These new cars all run on a bunch of easily damaged modules and I hate making mods to modern electrical systems.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #17

I am not up on the pacifica but if you do it you may want to look into an battery isolator
Old 03-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #18

According to Chrysler: The HD tow package on the Pacifica includes:
Quote:
220-amp alternator
7-pin/4-pin trailer-tow wiring harness
Heavy-duty radiator
Trailer hitch with 2-inch receiver and integrated connector
Trailer sway damping technology
Wiring harness is frequently already in the vehicle. Manufacturing economy often just has one (1) wiring harness and connects optional equipment into it. There may even be a brake control connector under the dashboard although you're not heavy enough to have one legally required.

Check around in the back of the vehicle under the plastic panels. If the 7-pin harness is there you have the trailer battery charge line assuming the appropriate relay and fuse are in the box.

The transmission radiator is often combined with the engine coolant radiator.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
According to Chrysler: The HD tow package on the Pacifica includes:Wiring harness is frequently already in the vehicle. Manufacturing economy often just has one (1) wiring harness and connects optional equipment into it. There may even be a brake control connector under the dashboard although you're not heavy enough to have one legally required.

Check around in the back of the vehicle under the plastic panels. If the 7-pin harness is there you have the trailer battery charge line assuming the appropriate relay and fuse are in the box.

The transmission radiator is often combined with the engine coolant radiator.

-- Chuck

I don't need the anti sway, just checked with dealer and I'm good to go .

Dealer couldn't tell where the connector terminated so I guess I'll have to search.

Doubt I'll find an actual 7 pin trailer connector but, maybe just a connector they would plug the 7 pin into when option is installed.

If not ,I'll go ahead and run a #10 wire off mains and use a cutout relay so I don't have to remember to disconnect trailer plug on long stops.

I guess I'll use a fuse tap to get input for cutout relay control.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
How about a simple, in line fused, charge wire running off the positive terminal of the battery? This separates the charge wire from everything else in the Pacifica.
Unplug the TV from the TT when parked/camping.
These new cars all run on a bunch of easily damaged modules and I hate making mods to modern electrical systems.
I really don't want to have to remember to unplug it. I agree about being careful with wiring and finding a spot to mount a cut out relay will be interesting.

thanks,
Ben

Tags
battery, charging