Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #1

battery connections

I have noticed some corrosion on my battery posts and want to clean them. I don't have any dielectric grease to put on them when I am done and was wondering if vaseline would work to help keep them clean in the future?
blufrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

Corrosion is typically caused by something.. either poor connection, bad battery, or a poorly performing alternator.

I'd find out what you have going on there and address the issue.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

Yes, vaseline will work just fine on the posts.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufrog1 View Post
I have noticed some corrosion on my battery posts and want to clean them. I don't have any dielectric grease to put on them when I am done and was wondering if vaseline would work to help keep them clean in the future?
Quick answer: Yes. ... You can use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as temporary protection to impair terminal (DC electrical connections) oxidation and to impede moisture contamination.
Better answer: Okay for short-term use, but probably not necessary. Mostly useful as an improvised temporary moisture-impediment-fix on DC electrical connections. Petroleum jelly is flammable, so there may be some flame risk associated with battery terminals. Petroleum jelly also migrates with elevated temperature and allows movement of contaminates within its solution (so it eventually needs to be removed).
As you already know, dielectric silicon is better (much better). However as 007matman already noted ... corrosion is a symptom of other things going on. Generally, battery post corrosion results from the way hydrogen gas released from the battery reacts with ambient conditions. Corrosion on positive terminal is usually indicative of overcharging; whereas corrosion on the negative terminal normally relates to undercharging conditions.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
Quick answer: Yes. ... You can use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as temporary protection to impair terminal (DC electrical connections) oxidation and to impede moisture contamination.
Better answer: Okay for short-term use, but probably not necessary. Mostly useful as an improvised temporary moisture-impediment-fix on DC electrical connections. Petroleum jelly is flammable, so there may be some flame risk associated with battery terminals. Petroleum jelly also migrates with elevated temperature and allows movement of contaminates within its solution (so it eventually needs to be removed).
As you already know, dielectric silicon is better (much better). However as 007matman already noted ... corrosion is a symptom of other things going on. Generally, battery post corrosion results from the way hydrogen gas released from the battery reacts with ambient conditions. Corrosion on positive terminal is usually indicative of overcharging; whereas corrosion on the negative terminal normally relates to undercharging conditions.
Corrosion around battery terminals can also indicate a compromised seal where the post passes through the case. Common causes are improper use of tools while tightening terminals, using lifting tools that lift by the post, and insufficient slack in cables that put strain on posts. Doesn't take much movement to allow gas/vapor to escape around post and allow corrosion.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

You can buy a small packet of dielectric grease at just about any auto parts store. $1.50.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...lectric+grease

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

battery connections

Turns out corrosion appears to be caused by a too short cable pulled tight. Replaced cable with one 2 inches longer, cleaned and greased all connections with dielectric grease and put it back to gether. Now time will tell. Thanks for all comments and suggestions.
blufrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery