Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #1

Battery Discharge Protection

Our 2020 Sunseeker 3010DS has solar cells and a Go Power controller. But when camping in the shade, our batteries have run down from full charge in the evening to "no power", 8.5 volts and our gas detector beeping, the next morning. Turns out the Go Power does not include a low voltage disconnect and I don't see that it is in the RV wiring diagram. Is this normal? Why is it not included? I can't remove the batter caps due to the lifting straps and cables to ensure there is enough water in them. Seems like a terrible design. Has anyone installed a low voltage disconnect?
cbratina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #2

Not sure I understand. Solar systems should not DRAW power from the batteries when there is no sunlight. Diodes in Controller and Panels prevent the flow of current from the batteries, and allow current to flow INTO the batteries when producing power from the sun.

When you refer to "Go Power" not having a low voltage shutoff, are you possibly referring to an Inverter?

I know that the solar controller I use can be left on 24/7/365 (Victron Smart MPPT) and it only puts power into the batteries. Usually it's the inverter that has to shut off when power runs low. If it doesn't have one built in the only solution would be to replace it with one that does or install a battery isolation device that has the LV shutoff.

Of course another solution could be "more battery capacity".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #3

Voltage Draw

The main power draw is the 12v frig. The Go Power controller is just for charging the RV batteries, it does not include a low voltage shut off. Forest River really should include one on their battery circuit, it only costs $40. Since my batteries have discharged down to 8 volts several times, it seems I have lost a lot of capacity and they will no longer power the frig through the night.

Another hassle is that the batteries' carrying straps and cables prevent me from easily checking the water level. Will have to wait till I get home.
cbratina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery