RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior

Battery discharging in storage

I have a 2017 MBS 2401WS Forester motorhome on a Sprinter chassis. This spring when I took it out of storage all the batteries were dead. I had to get a tow truck to jump start it after trying to jump charge it with my car and a diesel pick up. I did manage to get the genny started to charge the house batteries.

I noticed the house batteries were not being charged by the alternator in addition. The RV business I brought it to said they reset the system by disconnecting the batteries and removing the fuses. Humm!!! I never heard of that but related it to my router at home. I guess it makes sense since most things are digital not analog.

We are staying in a Forest Service campground without electricity. When I got up today I saw the voltage on the TriMetric Battery Monitor read 12.1 volts so I started the genny. After 2-3 hours I turned it off. Now my voltage reads 19.8. Strange. My Amperage was reading 45 Amps! WTH!!! I have disconnected the negative lead from the battery and pulled all the fuses hoping the advice of the RV tech I used was correct and I will not have to spend $$$.ĘĘ to get this fixed again.

I hope one of the kind electrical engineers will be able to help or that the knowledge the RV tech shared is correct.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #2

On modern equipment disconnecting the electrical source from the rig (car,truck,MH,etc) for a minimum of 30 will allow the little computers we didn't know were installed to go to sleep and reset. those reading are very high I would use a multimeter and check actual battery charge after disconnecting the leads. If there is that kind of amp draw secure systems one at a time to find the culprit Let the forum know what you find. On many MHs charging of the house batteries does not take place until the starting batter has reached full charge so running the engine to charge may take a long time.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, storage