RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Kat

Battery disconect switch

Do I leave the switch on the on or off position while driving to charge battery. Further more what is recommended when I arrive at camp. Also when I have my trailer parked at home with 110 running the heater what placement do I set the battery disconnect to keep a trickle charge going. 295WP Cherokee Wolfpack
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #2

For traveling, you could leave it on or off. But if you use the fridge while traveling, you'll need it on to run the circuit board in the fridge. At camp, leave it on so you have lights. Even on shore power, the interior lights are 12V and run off the battery. Parked at home with the heat on--you'll need it on to run the fans in the furnace.

I am curious, though--why would you run the heater at home? That will use a lot of LP. Unless you mean an electric heater.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Kat

I do mean an electric heater to keep things dry. It rains here in WA. alot. I have an extension cord pluged into it. So if I leave the switch on the on position is it safe to say I am also charging my batteries. Currently I have the switch off and have lights. I just don't want to run the battery down.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #4

Ok, perhaps my answers are incorrect for your application. My disconnect is inside the trailer, and if I turn it off, nothing on DC works--no lights, no nothing.

If the heater is plugged into it's own extension to the house, and if your rig isn't plugged into shore power, or your truck, then the battery isn't getting a charge. It will run down if lights, etc, are used.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Kat

thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure where your disconnect switch is, but if it is right at the battery then running the switch in the off positions would disable the emergency braking system, which is a major no-no when traveling.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #7

mtnguy, good point. Our old trailer was like that--on this one, the emergency brake disconnect works with the inside battery disconnect removed.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
Kat

My disconnect is in the trailer. I think all I got to do is turn it on when I want to charge the batery and diconnect it when I dont so as not to over charge the battery. I got this info as I was googleing around today. Remember I am talking about when it's pluged in at home on 110 all day and night to keep the electrical heater running during the winter months.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Grape Escape

Use battery disconnect switch only when storing trailer for more than a few days. Purpose is to disconnect battery so that it won't go dead as it will within a week if you park it and not plug in to 120 volts
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Site Team

Kat said he is plugged in and he has the disconnect off and he has lights.
That indicated to me that the battery disconnect switch is just disconnecting
the battery.
I also have a battery switch and it also just disconnects the battery.
If I were leaving my trailer plugged into shore power all winter I'd switch on
my battery switch a day or 2 every month and leave it off the rest of the time.
That would keep the battery fully charged and at the same time avoid the possibility
of overcharging and running the electrolyte dry.
My 2
YMMV

KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Head Rambler

Just a thought here.

A lot of converters warn about running them wthout a battery connected. All of you that disconnect your batteries but leave your converter powered might want to check your converter manual to make sure you're not shortening the life of your converter by doing that.

Having said that I keep my unit plugged in all the time and leave the batteries connected and I only have to add water about once every 6 months. Most converters these days are very good at battery maintenance and don't boil your batteries dry like they did a few years ago.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Kat

Thanks guys for all you input.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #13

Kat, how are you enjoying that new 295? We got ours new about 7 mo. ago and have been pleased so far. The converter on ours was kaput the day we did the pdi and was replaced by the dealer. We also exchanged 12v to 2 6v batteries, and that has worked fine so far. Glad you asked the disconnect question, I wondered too. Of course, I was confused as to why when a "disconnect" switch was "on" the batteries were connected! Guess I am a literalist. Ha.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
Kat

We took it out for the first time last weekend to a park around the corner to familar myself with all the switches and functions of and RV. It was GREAT me and my wife Kat loved it. Got a couple questions for you. 1) what is the big rocker switch by the front door operate---- 2) there is a small switch by the pump and heater that stands alone and turns red when activated, what does this do in your trailer. Mine is gen prep only and maybe this would turn it on. We had another couple join us for that weekend and had lots of room to move around with the rear dinett down and no quads in them. Very inpresed with it. Cant wait to get to the Oregon dunes this summer. I hear the dual 6 volts work great thanks for conforming that. Not sure if I have a convertor but i do have a solar charger and a battery indactor light to check the battery and charge when necessary by turning the battery switch to on while pluged in to 110 power at home.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #15

Just like kydan said. I have my switch located at the battery and leave it off most of the time. Befor i installed it i added water to my battery a few times.Hope I wasn't to late.I leave my camper plugged in all the time.
hberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #16

Rocker Switch.Do you have a 120 volt outlet up high outside close to the end of your awning for pluging in your awning lights.
Small Switch.I have a small switch that turns red when I have my holding tank heaters on.Do you have tank heaters?
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #17

As far as extension cords go, I use a heavy duty 12 gauge not a standard 14 gauge. Although my camper is next to the garage I do not have an out side receiptical at the camper, I run the extension cord from the middle of the garage at the side wall on to the floor and under the garage door and then back down the out side of the garage and then plug the camper in, it is approx 26' of cord. One day I will install a receiptical on the out side of the wall for 30 amps so I can run everything in the camper if I need to.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #18

Battery Disconnect

I purchased a Marine type battery disconnect switch. I had one on my Sunline when I purchased it, so I didn't take notice as to which lead was sent to the disconnect. The switch doesn't come with instructions for any connections. The Positive or Negative will work, but I was wondering if anyone had any preferences. I always towed with the switch on so the breakaway switch shouldn't be an issue. So Positive or Negative?
GingersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Rule of Thumb

My understanding is to always switch positive.

That way if there is a short to ground some where in the system, current will not flow.

That is why household current always switches the black wire (positive in DC talk) and not the neutral (negative in DC talk).

Here is my setup:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/289...C?vhost=travel

I was almost finished in this photo and the black connector wire between batteries was not finished. I used two sink dish wash tubs for the battery box.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #20

i do not have the manual for my 2003 cardinal. does it have a disconnect switch somewhere. i can not find anything like what is being mentioned?
torroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery