Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect

Hey All,

I'm installing two 6V batteries, a new battery box and a disconnect.
I currently have 2 wires on the battery positive.

I'm guessing one is for the power hitch and the other goes to the PUP.

If the above is true, I'm assuming I just switch the line to the PUP, or should I have both on the disconnect?

Many Thanks,

Bryan
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Always Learning

The power hitch will only draw power when it’s in use. You can mostly safely leave it not disconnect. The bad part to leaving it on is that it lets you hitch up and potentially forget to enable the batteries. This could leave you in a position that you’re towing without emergency breakaway brakes. I personally like to NOT be able to hitch up until I connect the batteries.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #3

put the disconnect on the negative cable. there should only be one of them.

i like what ependydad said about having a failsafe configuration that requires you to have the battery connected before you tow. in out case we need to operate the front landing gear in order to hook up. to operate them i must have the batteries connected. this ensures that the batteries are online to support the break away feature (god forbid that we have to actually use it).
Old 04-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #4

I do have 2 negative leads as well as the 2 positive. Again, I thing the power hitch is on its own loop. I'll confirm when I make space in there to weld in a new bracket for the extended battery box.

Regardless, I'm going to switch both negative leads per your suggestion.

Thinking forward, what is the proper protocol for long term/short term storage?
I usually keep the camper on shore power when at home. If the disco is activated, I will not maintain charge on the battery.

In the winter I just pull the leads and attach my tender.

What's "normal practice?"
Old 04-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
Hey All,

I'm installing two 6V batteries, a new battery box and a disconnect.
I currently have 2 wires on the battery positive.

I'm guessing one is for the power hitch and the other goes to the PUP.

If the above is true, I'm assuming I just switch the line to the PUP, or should I have both on the disconnect?

Many Thanks,

Bryan
I'd recommend you take the guesswork out of the equation.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
That a good one!

Yes, I plan to become more intimately familiar with the PUP this season.

Last year we purchased her used as my son had just finished his frontline cancer treatment and we wanted to start "living" again after a year of treatment.

He then relapsed in November, so I've been a bit busy and obligated with additional head/neck surgeries, radiation therapy and 8 more months of chemo...

She's out of the garage and ready for some tinkering.

My son is also holding his own, and we are hopeful of many more trips this year.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Thinking forward, what is the proper protocol for long term/short term storage?
I usually keep the camper on shore power when at home. If the disco is activated, I will not maintain charge on the battery.

In the winter I just pull the leads and attach my tender.

What's "normal practice?"
If it's plugged in, the camper will maintain the battery. Leave it connected.

If it's not plugged in, use the battery disconnect switch and leave it disconnected. No tender needed for the winter months as long as it starts out full.

Quote:
Last year we purchased her used as my son had just finished his frontline cancer treatment and we wanted to start "living" again after a year of treatment.

He then relapsed in November, so I've been a bit busy and obligated with additional head/neck surgeries, radiation therapy and 8 more months of chemo...

My son is also holding his own, and we are hopeful of many more trips this year.
Much love. My daughter is a 16 year cancer survivor. She had a cancerous brain tumor (ependymoma, thus I'm ependydad) at the age of 13 months.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
"I'm guessing one is for the power hitch and the other goes to the PUP." Its pretty clear that this is just a figure of speech. After all, the OP is here on the forum looking for information and guidance. All learning is a never ending process.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
"I'm guessing one is for the power hitch and the other goes to the PUP." Its pretty clear that this is just a figure of speech. After all, the OP is here on the forum looking for information and guidance. All learning is a never ending process.
Well....... certainly. He used a different choice of words in two posts so he wasn't quoting a cliche. I gave him some information and guidance -- that is to verify the wiring situation before making any changes.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

My feelings are not hurt by any interpretation of language... I'm a tough guy, and admittedly, not one to always use the search function.

Thanks Guys!
Old 04-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #11

you will get as many answers about how to treat a battery while in storage as there are posters on the forum. IF the 2nd positive and negative cables do in fact go to the jack, and IF the switch on the jack is a make / break switch there will be no drain from the jack as the circuit is open. so it wouldn't matter if this circuit was direct to the battery or routed through the disconnect.

a fully charged battery with no loads on it will keep its charge for several months with only minimal self discharge. and batteries that are plugged into a multistage converter will be kept at full charge without issues. just check the battery water level occasionally.

many people use battery tenders, many use the built in converter, and many disconnect altogether. do whatever works for you!
Old 04-30-2021, 09:51 AM   #12

The electric tongue jack will not have a black ground wire. Only a red positive. It grounds to the frame it is mounted on.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect