Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect and Holding Tanks

Good afternoon All,

I have a rookie question from all you RV gurus. I am still confused about the disconnect switch. How does it work? What does it do? If it’s on, does that mean my battery will not charge or not get a draw?

The second question was created by the above. When I pulled my RV from Florida to Arizona, after set up I could get a reading on my tanks (Blank and grey). Now after being set up on shore power for going on three weeks, I cannot get a reading. I can only think this must have something to do with DC (battery power)

Before you ask, I am in a fifth wheel.
Ddozier234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddozier234 View Post
Good afternoon All,

I have a rookie question from all you RV gurus. I am still confused about the disconnect switch. How does it work? What does it do? If it’s on, does that mean my battery will not charge or not get a draw?
IT'S FOR WHEN THE RV IS IN STORAGE, TO PREVENT BATTERY DRAIN. "ON" SHOULD MEAN THE BATTERY HAS BEEN SEPARATED FROM THE TRAILER. SO IT WON'T GET CHARGED IF PLUGGED INTO SHORE POWER.

The second question was created by the above. When I pulled my RV from Florida to Arizona, after set up I could get a reading on my tanks (Blank and grey). Now after being set up on shore power for going on three weeks, I cannot get a reading. I can only think this must have something to do with DC (battery power)

Before you ask, I am in a fifth wheel.
IS THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED?
Answers are above
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #3

i get so confused by the on / off terminology regarding the battery disconnect. as you ask if the disconnect is on does that mean that the batteries are disconnected? go do an experiment so you know for sure on your unit. turn on the 12 volt lights. do they come on when the disconnect is on? or must it be off for the lights to work? you need to know for sure so you don't get surprised someday. in my case i have determined that the on position has the batteries online, the off position has the batteries offline (disconnected). but you need to prove your unit to yourself.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
Site Team

It is confusing. I was always told that turning the disconnect switch ON, was activating the disconnect. OFF was deactivating the disconnect.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

To the best of your knowledge, when connected to shore power; should I disconnect my battery or not? Does it matter? If it is disconnected, will it charge?
Ddozier234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It is confusing. I was always told that turning the disconnect switch ON, was activating the disconnect. OFF was deactivating the disconnect.
The fact they call it a disconnect switch creates the confusion. Just calling it a battery switch could eliminate it.

ON means batteries connected, OFF, not connected.

Batteries should be connected whenever RV is in use or connected to shore power.

Simple test to figure out the On/Off question.

Disconnect both shore power cord and vehicle power cord.

Turn on a light or stive vent hood fan. Any 12 volt appliance will do but either of these are good indicators.

If they work, batteries are connected. If not, move the battery switch to other position. Mark for future reference.

All other sources of power must be disconnected so only batteries are the source.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddozier234 View Post
To the best of your knowledge, when connected to shore power; should I disconnect my battery or not? Does it matter? If it is disconnected, will it charge?
No. If you disconnect you will not charge the battery.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, tank