Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #1

Battery disconnect Switch

I have a house cut off switch in the water bay. when it is off I still have a drain on the batteries. I would like to put a battery cutoff switch on. I have two 12 volt batteries. Do I have to buy two cutoff switches one for each battery. So I can eliminate removing the negative cable and drain on the batteries when in storage. Thank you in advance
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
I have a house cut off switch in the water bay. when it is off I still have a drain on the batteries. I would like to put a battery cutoff switch on. I have two 12 volt batteries. Do I have to buy two cutoff switches one for each battery. So I can eliminate removing the negative cable and drain on the batteries when in storage. Thank you in advance
I believe I posted this in the wrong section I apologize
Old 12-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #3

Cutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
Gramps, the two batteries are connected in parallel. That means the two Positive (red) terminals are connected together and the two negative (black) terminals are connected together.

You can use a single disconnect switch by identifying the negative terminal that has two cables: one to the other battery and one to the motorhome.
On that terminal, remove the cable going to the motorhome.
Leave the cable going to the other battery, and add the disconnect switch.
Connect the cable going to the motorhome to the other end of the disconnect switch.

I will flag these posts so the moderator moves them to the right place.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Gramps, the two batteries are connected in parallel. That means the two Positive (red) terminals are connected together and the two negative (black) terminals are connected together.

You can use a single disconnect switch by identifying the negative terminal that has two cables: one to the other battery and one to the motorhome.
Connect the cable going to the motorhome to the other end of the disconnect switch.

Gramps has a Cedar Creek, not a motorhome. So his connections for a 5th wheel may differ from a Georgetown where he posted here by mistake.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #5

The same

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Gramps has a Cedar Creek, not a motorhome. So his connections for a 5th wheel may differ from a Georgetown where he posted here by mistake.
Connections are the same.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Posts were moved to their own thread here.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post

fully greed with this! find the two negative battery terminals. there will be a jumper cable between these tow terminals. leave that cable alone. one of the negative terminals will have another negative cable that leaves the battery. it probably goes to chassis ground, maybe very near the batteries. remove this cable from the battery and attach it to one terminal of the disconnect switch. but a new cable and install it between the other terminal on the switch and the negative battery terminal that you took the cable off of.

before you do anything find out where you are going to mount the switch and make sure the cables will reach.

other options are to buy a disconnect that mounts right on the battery terminal. any auto parts store has them. i have seen knife switch versions and version that allow for an easy disconnect of the battery cable. with these you probably don't need to purchase a new battery cable.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #8

Thank you all very much for the response. I think I do like the battery disconnect knife switch that would probably be a lot easier because I have to get back behind the Water Bay wall locate the proper cable. Thank you all again and have a great day