Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
ACJ

Battery Disconnect Switch/Emergency Breakaway

I'd like to put a battery disconnect switch in so I don't have to worry about any draw on my batteries when not in use and also for simplicity. On my previous camper I would disconnect the battery manually after each trip but it is annoying to have to take the cover off disconnect and the reconnect and put cover back on before next trip. The flip of a switch sounds much simpler.

My plan was to install the disconnect as the first thing off the battery however it seems that the Emergency Breakaway switch runs off the battery. So if I install it there the Emergency breakaway would turn off/on with the switch as well.

So my question is are most wiring the disconnect right off the battery and then just making sure to keep it on when trailering and only turn off once home or is it better to reroute the emergency breakaway switch directly to battery bypassing the switch?
Old 11-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #2

On my TT I have a marine type battery switch in the positive cable before anything else is connected. When in the off position EVERYTHING is dead. I turn on before towing or using so all the items that are needed for safety are now active.

The factory may have rules an what need to be connected at all times but I don't. Turning off my shutoff switch is no different than removing batteries except less work.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #3

I'm surprised your trailer didn't come with a disconnect standard. When you install the disconnect switch simply attach the wire for the emergency brakes to the hot side of the switch. Connect everything else to the switched side. If you have any type of solar it should also go to the hot side of the switch. This way you can leave it off without worry whether parked or traveling.

This is the factory switch for my trailer. The top nut is hot: Red is battery, Yellow is solar, Orange is brakes. Bottom is switch

Jim M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_disconnect.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	266135  
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I'm surprised your trailer didn't come with a disconnect standard. When you install the disconnect switch simply attach the wire for the emergency brakes to the hot side of the switch. Connect everything else to the switched side. If you have any type of solar it should also go to the hot side of the switch. This way you can leave it off without worry whether parked or traveling.

This is the factory switch for my trailer. The top nut is hot: Red is battery, Yellow is solar, Orange is brakes. Bottom is switch

Jim M.
The OP has a folding A-frame trailer. Folding trailers usually don't have factory battery disconnect switches.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:56 AM   #5

Well I did not know that. I try to justify my wasting too much time on these various forums by saying I'm "learning something". Well I learned something. ;-)
Old 11-27-2021, 02:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Well I did not know that. I try to justify my wasting too much time on these various forums by saying I'm "learning something". Well I learned something. ;-)
No problem. The OP didn't post what RV they have and didn't post this in the A-frame section so I had to look at their profile to find out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
ACJ

Quote:

Jim M.
Thanks, Jim. This is a good thought to consider. I can't imagine the emergency brake switch would draw much power if anything considering that it's not really connect unless the clip is pulled.

I was also considering wiring my trailer jack to the hot as well. Only concern with that is if myself or someone would flip the light on the jack that could draw the battery down.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:14 AM   #8

The emergency breakaway switch will draw no power unless it is pulled out. Then it will draw globs of power. Thats a very technical term. ;-) The jack is your call. Yeah if you leave the light bad things will eventually happen. I've never used the light on mine.. it doesn't do much for me. Maybe just disconnect the light.

Jim M.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP has a folding A-frame trailer. Folding trailers usually don't have factory battery disconnect switches.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app

It is not just Folding A-Frames that do not always come with one. Our 5er did not come with a Battery Disconnect either.

I installed ours. I left the Emergency Breakaway and the front Landing Gear direct to the battery (with their own inline fuses) and the rest to the ON i=side of the switch.

This way I can NEVER travel without my Breakaway Switch being operational by forgetting to turn on the switch. In addition I can operate the Landing Gear without turning it on as well. Neither of these items has any draw whatsoever if not activated so the battery will not be drained while just sitting in storage.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:52 AM   #10

I ran everything through the disconnect switch, including tongue jack. That way I couldn't hook up without turn on the battery. Easy to remember to turn it on then.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I ran everything through the disconnect switch, including tongue jack. That way I couldn't hook up without turn on the battery. Easy to remember to turn it on then.

But then you could forget to turn it back off again.

Your solution works, IF.................

My solution has No Ifs to it..............

Yet another case of two individual minds looking at one problem and coming up with different solutions that work for each one............and both work....IF

I have to use my solution because I WOULD FORGET! NO Ifs about it!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #12

On my trailer, I have everything on the downside of my disconnect. However, as sort of insurance that it is ON before traveling, I have to use my power jack to hitch up.... If you have a manual crank jack, I would be more likely to connect the emergency brakes directly to the battery.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
The emergency breakaway switch will draw no power unless it is pulled out. Then it will draw globs of power. Thats a very technical term. ;-) The jack is your call. Yeah if you leave the light bad things will eventually happen. I've never used the light on mine.. it doesn't do much for me. Maybe just disconnect the light.

Jim M.
I've noticed that when you turn on the jack light you can see everything but the jack. It has only one function as I see it. It aides in preventing my shins bashing the hitch.
W5CRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #14

My 2017 Surveyor didn't come with a battery disconnect. I installed one myself, negative side, onto the battery box. When I engage the disconnect everything including emergency break is offline. My SIL just told me his brand new Imagines disconnect, per dealer, also disconnects the emergency break.
Side note it most likely disconnects the propane detector too. My disconnect switch knob can be removed so no one can turn on without me knowing.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, breakaway, switch