Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Battery/Electrical questions

I am replacing my deep cycle battery with a new one and also adding a "BatteryMinder" trickle charger to the system to maintain the battery charge instead of running the convertor all the time. While charging the battery with the trickle charger will I need to disconnect the TT from the battery and the land line to prevent any current from going back into the TT?
Thanks for guidance.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
clr

I assume from your post that the TT will not be plugged into AC at the same time that you are using the trickle charger. If the TT is plugged into AC at the same time the converter will also be trying to charge the battery. You do not want two charges connected to the battery at the same time. There will still be some vampire loads in the camper even if you pull the disconnect if you have one. So I would recommend that you disconnect one lead of the battery and plug the trickle charger directly into the AC with no AC connected to the TT.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Just remember one of the main differences between a car batt and a deep cycle the car batt is designed to discharge and be recharged at basically the same rate to maintain its 12 volt charge if you were to use a car batt as you woul a deep cycle the car batt will not only lose charge but the voltage available will becom less and less a deep cycle will maintain its full voltag for the entire time until it is dead a maintainer may not work so well on a deep cycle
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric, electrical