Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #1

Battery Exploded!

We have a 2018 27RKS Prime time Avenger ATI. Yesterday, my husband went out to check on the camper which we have under a cover. We were planning on going on a short trip down south. He discovered the battery had exploded. There were bits and pieces everywhere. I suppose we are fortunate that it chose a time to explode when we weren't there, but.....Is there a warranty on such things?

My husband called the dealer, and they said they didn't install the battery and he should call Prime Time. Prime Time said he should talk to the dealer. My husband said there was something about the warranty on top of the battery, but you cannot read it anymore. Ugh!

We do not know why it exploded.

Thanks for any help!
Vicki
Vicki P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

Was your TT plugged in? Have you had freezing temps lately?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Always Learning

I was always under the impression that the batteries were dealer-installed items.

I see you're from Virginia. It's cold there, right? The only batteries I've ever heard explode are those that the water inside of them froze and then were attempted to be charged while frozen.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki P View Post
We have a 2018 27RKS Prime time Avenger ATI. Yesterday, my husband went out to check on the camper which we have under a cover. We were planning on going on a short trip down south. He discovered the battery had exploded. There were bits and pieces everywhere. I suppose we are fortunate that it chose a time to explode when we weren't there, but.....Is there a warranty on such things?

My husband called the dealer, and they said they didn't install the battery and he should call Prime Time. Prime Time said he should talk to the dealer. My husband said there was something about the warranty on top of the battery, but you cannot read it anymore. Ugh!

We do not know why it exploded.

Thanks for any help!
Vicki
On towables, batteries are a dealer-installed item, not a factory item. So the dealer is lying.
And since your 1 year factory warranty has expired, it wouldn't fall under it anyway.
If you had it plugged into shore power and the converter was bad, it could have overcharged the battery.
If it did overcharge the battery and that caused the explosion, the battery's warranty would be voided.
If you didn't do proper maintenance on the battery, that could have caused it. A dry battery being charged can explode.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
D W

Battery exploded? I'd have to see a picture of the battery before I make a call on that.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A dry battery being charged can explode.
Had a friend of mine do that once time. They were trying to pull their slides in and the battery was dead. So they hooked it up with jumper cables to a car battery. BOOM!

Luckily nobody got hit by the shrapnel.

I also had a car battery "explode" one time where it just had a large bulge on one side and was obviously leaking all over the place.

I'm guessing the OP had something like the former.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Team

A dead battery in subfreezing temperatures will expand and come apart ( not necessarily explode) I have seen on that was in 6 pieces from freezing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #8

Regardless of whether or not the battery was factory installed or dealer installed, the battery will have its own manufacturer's warranty. Find a dealer for whatever brand battery was installed. It's probably still under warranty.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
Regardless of whether or not the battery was factory installed or dealer installed, the battery will have its own manufacturer's warranty. Find a dealer for whatever brand battery was installed. It's probably still under warranty.
If it exploded due to overcharging or lack of maintenance, those are NOT covered by the warranty. Not saying that you couldn't try.
I used to work in auto centers and saw lots of questionable battery returns for warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #10

yes, battery exploding is not unheard of. ours exploded - my son was standing right there when it blew up. not sure why it did that either. it was stored on the trailer tongue, fully charged and disconnected. it was in the middle of the winter. we simply replaced it and have not had a repeat since then.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Battery exploded? I'd have to see a picture of the battery before I make a call on that.
Had a guy where I worked one cold morning try jumping the battery bank in his semi...........kaboom!!!!! He got battery acid on him but not in his eyes.........it was cold so he had on enough clothes on to keep the acid off his skin.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #12

Many of these batteries have only a one year warranty. I'd just replace it and enjoy your trip.

Did it damage your rig? That would probably be an insurance claim.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Costco or Sams RV battery, group 27 and move on.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Costco or Sams RV battery, group 27 and move on.
I would be measuring the charging system before moving on. Could have the exact same thing happen with a new battery.

No comment on the Costco RV/Marine batteries.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #15

Forget the battery. That's a done deal. But you better buy a 5 lb bag of baking soda and start scrubbing everything in sight to try and neutralize the acid damage.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Forget the battery. That's a done deal. But you better buy a 5 lb bag of baking soda and start scrubbing everything in sight to try and neutralize the acid damage.
X2 this, and in places that you think it couldn't possibly have gotten. And once you think you've got it all cleaned up, do it again .
Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #17

In most battery cases, explosions are operator issues. Exploring warranty stuff is likely a waste of time. We can guess what happened all month.

One should have a real battery monitor of some type. That would help with use and minimize over use of the battery. I have a BM2 Bluetooth voltmeter from Amazon. $35. Detects charging at too high a rate. Installed in the 12 volt panel.

Install a battery disconnect if there is none. Or disconnect the battery.

The water level in the batteries should be monitored. Twice a year is good.

The connections should be clean.

A properly disconnected fully charged battery can sit idle for 3-5 months easily. Assumes it is properly disconnected with no minor loads.

You need to clean up the area and install the biggest battery you can. Also a monitor. Two sixes are preferred if you use much! We like lithium best but cost is prohibitive. Makes sure any wet cell 12 volt is a true deep cycle.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #18

hydrogen gas+spark=explosion
Always wear eye protection.
https://www.reference.com/world-view...7429bd65af0090
Old 01-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
In most battery cases, explosions are operator issues. Exploring warranty stuff is likely a waste of time. We can guess what happened all month.

One should have a real battery monitor of some type. That would help with use and minimize over use of the battery. I have a BM2 Bluetooth voltmeter from Amazon. $35. Detects charging at too high a rate. Installed in the 12 volt panel.

A properly disconnected fully charged battery can sit idle for 3-5 months easily. Assumes it is properly disconnected with no minor loads.

You need to clean up the area and install the biggest battery you can. Also a monitor. Two sixes are preferred if you use much! We like lithium best but cost is prohibitive. Makes sure any wet cell 12 volt is a true deep cycle.
]If you are going to measure voltage, measure at the battery...not at the power panel. Instead of using a voltage only meter, get one with a shunt that measures current as well as voltage.

Depending on the battery, a true deep cycle battery needs the water checked monthly.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #20

I got burnt on this. Albany RV sold me 2 multipurpose batteries as deep cycle batteries before I knew better.
Buyer beware!! I don't shop there anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery