Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Battery inside TT

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are concerning having battery inside a TT.

I have bought a 400w modified sine wave inverter (just a cheap $25 one) and needed to check it out as far as powering my 110v LCD TV. I brought a fully charged deep cell battery into my TT and verified my picture quality with DVD and OTA with the inverter. All checked out. I just wanted to verify this before doing a possible install in my pass-through storage.

That was the background and now this is the real reason for the thread. The battery I used is a maintenance free deep cell and I just placed it sitting on the floor next to the entrance door and the cabinet that houses my 12v AM/FM/CD/DVD and the 110v LCD TV above mounted on the wall. I thought... the battery fits perfect in that spot and it's mostly out of the way in a corner, and what if I dressed it up a bit by making a wooden battery box in that spot. A normal battery box would be inside, and the whole thing would be vented. This battery would only be used for morning news boon docking and should last a camping trip without having to be recharged. But would this not be a good alternative than running wire and extension cords throughout the coach?

And now for the real question...

Would there be a health risk of having a maintenance free battery inside your coach for an extended period of time?

Sorry, just felt like typing.
Gregg Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are concerning having battery inside a TT.

I have bought a 400w modified sine wave inverter (just a cheap $25 one) and needed to check it out as far as powering my 110v LCD TV. I brought a fully charged deep cell battery into my TT and verified my picture quality with DVD and OTA with the inverter. All checked out. I just wanted to verify this before doing a possible install in my pass-through storage.

That was the background and now this is the real reason for the thread. The battery I used is a maintenance free deep cell and I just placed it sitting on the floor next to the entrance door and the cabinet that houses my 12v AM/FM/CD/DVD and the 110v LCD TV above mounted on the wall. I thought... the battery fits perfect in that spot and it's mostly out of the way in a corner, and what if I dressed it up a bit by making a wooden battery box in that spot. A normal battery box would be inside, and the whole thing would be vented. This battery would only be used for morning news boon docking and should last a camping trip without having to be recharged. But would this not be a good alternative than running wire and extension cords throughout the coach?

And now for the real question...

Would there be a health risk of having a maintenance free battery inside your coach for an extended period of time?

Sorry, just felt like typing.
A maintenance free battery still gives off harmful fumes.
Not to mention batteries can and will explode!
Herk has pictures!
Move on from this idea immediately!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Just adding to what Turbs said for enphasis. Maintenance free batteries are not sealed and therefore give off hydrogen gas as well sulfuric acid fumes. You don't want then in the living space. I'd install a dedicated line to either the inverter or a dedicated receptacle from the inverter and place the battery outside.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Always Learning

He did say it would be vented (I assumed to the outside of the camper).
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
He did say it would be vented (I assumed to the outside of the camper).
Still, I wouldn't take the chance.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Would want mine in a cubby "inside" my camper either.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

I'll move on from this idea and install the inverter in the pass-through. I was just thinking that there might be a difference between maintenance free and and those that you have to monitor water levels. Although I do maintain batteries in my small garage and practically live in there. I would like to see Herk's pictures though.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I'll move on from this idea and install the inverter in the pass-through. I was just thinking that there might be a difference between maintenance free and and those that you have to monitor water levels. Although I do maintain batteries in my small garage and practically live in there. I would like to see Herk's pictures though.
Lol you might cringe when you see them in accordance of what you were thinking of doing.

He'll be along soon and post his exploding battery pics.

Turbs
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #9

The battery in my V-Cross Vibe is under the dinette in a vented box, I don't see an issue with having it inside if it is in a sealed-(vented to the outside) box. I guess I am living on barrowed time. I have only seen a battery explode when someone hooked up a charger backwards to it.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #10

I was just going to put the battery in a box just in case of leakage or something. It would have not been vented to the outside. I would have cut a hole in the side of my trailer. Not doing that!

I was reading some manuals on the Xantrex site and they had this to say about explosive and corrosive gases...

"Lead-acid batteries may emit hydrogen gases, oxygen, and sulfuric acid
fumes when recharging. To reduce the risk of explosion:
• Vent the battery compartment to prevent the accumulation of gases.
• Do not install electronic or electrical equipment in the battery
compartment.
• Do not smoke or use an open flame when working around batteries."

Is it only during charging that you have to worry about gases or do you have to worry about use as well?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I would like to see Herk's pictures though.
Here you go.

Result of using a car charger to charge a dead battery that may have been previously frozen. Caps were never found and may very well still be in orbit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3765.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	24080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	24081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3768.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24082  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

Oh boy! Not going to be able to use that for a core charge.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #13

Are you sure someone did not hook up the charger backwards, that looks a lot like when that happened to me ,I was not the one that hooked up the charger but I did loose a new pair of jeans, looked like swiss cheese after.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Are you sure someone did not hook up the charger backwards, that looks a lot like when that happened to me ,I was not the one that hooked up the charger but I did loose a new pair of jeans, looked like swiss cheese after.
It was properly connected, but the battery was faulty and unable to take a fast charge. The plates were sulphated from being dead and the electrolyte has the specific density of pure water. Trying to "fast charge" the battery just "boiled" the water (actually cracked the water into hydrogen and oxygen) resulting in an explosive mix that could not be vented fast enough with the caps on. Once the electrolyte boiled low enough to expose the plates, a spark ignited the gas.

I was at the campground where this happened. The story is on here several times.

RV - A used "Bounder" a GI was trying to get working as the batteries would not work the 12 volt systems when shore power was not plugged in. He was living in it while he was stationed there.

Just after we had just set up and was enjoying a Guinness Draft, we heard what sounded like a rifle shot at close range. I thought someone had an inadvertent discharge and might have been injured. Spotted smoke coming from the front of the RV across the road.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have to add just charging a battery is not the only reason for it to blow up.

We had a battery in a backhoe sitting in the lot that granaded and it was disconnected via a battery disconnect.
I can only assume it had shorted plates.

Turbs
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #16

Many years ago I purchased a used TT. On our maiden voyage to the park it got dark and I noticed my clearance lights not working. When I parked the trailer I got a light to look at the connection to the truck. My battery was on the hitch (fortunately). Sometime during the trip the battery blew and also blew apart the the battery box. Acid was all over the front of the trailer. It also blew a fuse and took out some critical wiring in the system, hence no lights.

IMO, just because a manufacturer puts a battery in a vented box inside the trailer doesn't necessarily make it safe.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Texan View Post
Many years ago I purchased a used TT. On our maiden voyage to the park it got dark and I noticed my clearance lights not working. When I parked the trailer I got a light to look at the connection to the truck. My battery was on the hitch (fortunately). Sometime during the trip the battery blew and also blew apart the the battery box. Acid was all over the front of the trailer. It also blew a fuse and took out some critical wiring in the system, hence no lights.

IMO, just because a manufacturer puts a battery in a vented box inside the trailer doesn't necessarily make it safe.
X2
Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #18

Well in my case because my hitch is less then one foot long, because of the V nose, I don't have a choice but to have it inside.
Can I ask, in a fifth wheel were is the battery as they do not have a hitch to put it on.
PS this is just a question as I don't have a fifth wheel and have not looked close at one.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Well in my case because my hitch is less then one foot long, because of the V nose, I don't have a choice but to have it inside.
Can I ask, in a fifth wheel were is the battery as they do not have a hitch to put it on.
PS this is just a question as I don't have a fifth wheel and have not looked close at one.
The battery in my fifth wheel is located inside a steel lined hatch in the very front of the trailer. while it is under the living space(front closet), it is seperated by steel liner, frame, and flooring. Enclosed, but not inside.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Always Learning

Mine sure looks like plastic..

Tags
battery