Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Battery Isolator?

Probably a very naive question, but I'll ask it anyway! Should I be doing anything about the battery isolator on my 2006 Sunseeker "clicking" audibly (& fairly frequently) when I'm hooked into power - or is that simply an indicator that it's doing what it's intended for?
ab4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure that it's not the converter fan turning on and off?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Seriously "technologically (& technically) challenged, but pretty sure that's a "no" as I the converter was replaced last year & I do know where that is. For lack of a better description, I'm referring to what looks rather like a pepper pot in the same compartment as my two RV batteries. If that's not the isolator then I'm really out in left field & probably should just got to an RV repair shop? Thanks for trying to help!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Probably have relay that's on its way out. Go out and buy a POWER-GATE. It just plain works.
jumpshowhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

It would help people identify it if you could post a picture, otherwise it's just a WAG.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #6

I don't know what a WAG is but I'll expand on my comments assuming the "WAG" is directed at me. Absent more information, you probably have an automatic charging relay that is opening and closing which is presumably creating the annoying clicking sound. It shouldn't be doing this because when you're connected to shore-power, the device should either be opened or closed....not cycling and annoying you. POWER-GATE is a company I came across a few years ago that makes power related devices for use on RV's, boats, trucks, etc...but their stuff is solidstate. Reel cutting edge stuff. Talked to a guy named Simon or Scott....he was very helppful and their stuff is pricey but just plain works. No affiliation, just a happy customer for what its worth.
jumpshowhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #7

WAG = wild *** guess. Not trying to denigrate or insult anyone. My comment is without a picture everyone is just guessing. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #8

Jumpshowhigh & joenic53, thanks for trying to help out a real "newbie" at this! Can't supply photo right now due to unit being in a somewhat snowbound storage lot! Beginning to think that I shouldn't be getting in over my head & that I should just bite the bullet & go see a repair guy (but armed with your advice). I did successfully replace the converter unit last fall, but, being fully aware of my technical limitations, I'm hesitant to push my luck too far.
I'm pretty certain that Jumpshowhigh has correctly identified the issue, in spite of my sketchy description, so, if I could throw out one more question - is it possible to foresee what risks might I be taking if I can't / don't get it "fixed" until after our planned spring trip when finding time will be easier? The "annoying clicking noise" I can handle for a while - but I'd hate to cause any major problems on the road by delaying getting it seen to.
Thanks again for taking time - what you have provided has been really helpful.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab4345 View Post
Jumpshowhigh & joenic53, thanks for trying to help out a real "newbie" at this! Can't supply photo right now due to unit being in a somewhat snowbound storage lot! Beginning to think that I shouldn't be getting in over my head & that I should just bite the bullet & go see a repair guy (but armed with your advice). I did successfully replace the converter unit last fall, but, being fully aware of my technical limitations, I'm hesitant to push my luck too far.
I'm pretty certain that Jumpshowhigh has correctly identified the issue, in spite of my sketchy description, so, if I could throw out one more question - is it possible to foresee what risks might I be taking if I can't / don't get it "fixed" until after our planned spring trip when finding time will be easier? The "annoying clicking noise" I can handle for a while - but I'd hate to cause any major problems on the road by delaying getting it seen to.
Thanks again for taking time - what you have provided has been really helpful.
Before you go out and waste money-----That device is a solonoid (magnet) operated switch to control the battery output with charging device (converter) Sounds like its try to close and should stay closed. That could be because the converter is faulty or maybe the battery is. You should have a inexpensive volt meter in you travel kit, try to measure voltage on the battery terminals before and after applying shore power. It should go up when shore power is applied. The solonoid itself may also be bad as voltage is applied it can't hold position due to bad coil. Rem its normally spring opened and power closed. This should help you sort it out!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

Without knowing what is clicking or what it controls, I can't venture a guess as to what harm it can door not. I'm sorry if I am vague in answering your question. That is why I suggested a picture to help identify what is clicking. Unless someone with the same model can offer a clue, I can't offer any help.