Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Battery Isolator solenoid

I have a Coachman 20cb and the solenoid that should connect the house with vehicle batteries is not getting the 12 volt positive signal to pull in the solenoid.
It neither pulls in when on shore power or when driving.
It I jump the solenoid control terminal to a 12 volt source it pulls right in.
What setup sends the 12 volts normally ?
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #2

do you have an emergency battery switch on the dash? My old class A had that to jump the starting battery with the house batteries.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

Am not familiar with your MH but in my MH the charging from shore and alternator power is controlled by a circuit within my battery control center box. You may have a BIRD (BI directional Relay Delay) which accomplishes the same thing and its circuitry may be the issue. The cross charging is accomplished via a circuit that looks at the charging source and determines if that source is within set limits to allow the solenoid to energize and supply charging voltage to the recipient (house or chassis batteries) as applicable. That circuit may have an issue. As said, the solenoid that ties the power sources to the coach batteries for charging is also used as the emergency start solenoid if you have that function. However; that emergency start input bypasses the charging circuit directly to the solenoid. This may or may not help you.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #4

Got it working today with help from Forest River staff.
In a nutshell :
Wire To solenoid connecting to chassi battery was on a dead lug of connecting terminal block . Had to move to a hot lug so chassi feed made it to solenoid.

Wiring of relay that triggered solenoid to pull in had a crimp connection w 1 wire pulled out of the crimp.
Fuse was blown probably from bare wire from crimp flopping around.
So fixed above and solenoid is pulling in as designed.
An F on quality control !
Old 06-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #5

Where was this solenoid please? I just bought a 2017 20cb last month. Good luck with yours.
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2A View Post
Where was this solenoid please? I just bought a 2017 20cb last month. Good luck with yours.
The solenoid is under the entry step - left of coach batteries.
It has both batteries hooked to it and when energized connects them together allowing the vehicle alternator to charge all the batteries.
The thin wire attached to the solenoid is the control wire that is energized by the vehicle ignition .
Old 06-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
The solenoid is under the entry step - left of coach batteries.
It has both batteries hooked to it and when energized connects them together allowing the vehicle alternator to charge all the batteries.
The thin wire attached to the solenoid is the control wire that is energized by the vehicle ignition .
Thank you
NB2A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery