Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

Battery Maint.

It's installed my cutoff switch to make it a bit easier and avoid loosing the nuts again....curious how what others do for maintaining your batteries year round? I have a tender that I use often but pulling the battery all the time is a pain as their is no power at my storage lot and the kids like to go visit the camper often.... How often are you charging your batteries?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

I basically leave mine on charge al the time. summer, is the solar panels. winter, I use a trickle charger for 4 hours on a day-to-day basis, using a timer. I use around 1amp per 100 amp hours as a default.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey
I basically leave mine on charge al the time. summer, is the solar panels. winter, I use a trickle charger for 4 hours on a day-to-day basis, using a timer. I use around 1amp per 100 amp hours as a default.

using a solar charger would work for your off season provided you disconnect your battery from the house. not the solar charger of course.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Any recommendations for a solar charger??
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

it depends on your battery and usage. if all your looking for is something to maintain your battery, then most solar panels that will provide at least 1amp/100amp-Hr of battery would suffice. provided the panel will be in sunlight. but if you at looking to recharge the battery between uses, then that is a different story. at this point, a full analyst of your usage and capacity would be appropriate.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

I use a 6 watt solar battery maintainer (bought at Northern Tool for $25) summer and winter. It works to keep the battery up, but I do have to disconnect the cable from the trailer, as it can not keep up with the small draw from the entertainment system clock, monitors, etc. So if you want to be able to go to your trailer occasionally and turn on the lights without connecting the cable, you will need a solar charger, not just a maintainer.
KenNTennessee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery