Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

battery monitor

We have a new TT (2109S) which has an increased power demand over our previous chalet aframe and I am eventually going to add a permanent solar system to the trailer but in the mean time wanted to start to piece together the components.

We are running 2x 225ah 6 volt's and are currently trying to maintain those with a portable 90watt folding panel which isn't enough supply to keep the batteries full for early season furnace use in Canada for more than 3 days should the sunlight be minimal. Rough estimation is 45-50 ah of use per day.

First thing I wanted to add is a quality monitor to properly determine our ah use then I can be better prepared to size the panels. Likely going to be 2x100watt but want to really see what we need.

The two monitors I have been looking at are the TriMetric TM-2030 RV and the Xantrex LinkLite. Both are roughly the same cost the Xantrex comes with a shunt. I am open to other monitors but really want to keep the user end simple so the DW can operate them as well. I am usually good at finding comparisons on the web but these products do not seem to have as many head to head reviews.

Any help is welcome
friendofacatahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

I would say, if you have read much on this site that the Trimetric is highly though of. Many people have had them for some time, others have had them for a short time but everyone agrees they give you enough information to determine most needs. Are there others, yes of course, but the history portion and the integrated use of the SC2030 is a big plus for the TM. I think there are several companies that are thought of as having good/great products; Progressive Industries, Tekonsha, Trimetric, Honda/Yamaha and PD converters.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

We have been using a Xantrex Link 10 for many years. It is now in its 3rd RV. It has really made a difference in understanding the battery status at all times and whether or not we need to charge. I don't think it is sold anymore but it may be similar to the LinkLite. A monitor really needs a shunt to accurately measure current so it can calculate amp hours used and replaced. That is the most important monitor function if you ever dry camp.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #4

X2 on the Trimetric. If you are going to add solar, the companion SC-2030 solar charge controller is a nice add on and cooperates with the TM-2030, showing everything you need to know about your batteries and your solar charging all on the TM-2030 display in the RV.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery