Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 02:13 AM   #1

Battery Monitor Shunt Placement?

Searched thru this forum and didn't find a discussion on this subject. Does it matter where the shunt is located within the negative run to the battery? Can it be placed near the converter instead of out by batteries? The only thing that I can think of that might be missed by placing it at the converter would be tongue jack, but that wouldn't be used once setup at camp spot anyway. Thanks for your input ahead of time.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Searched thru this forum and didn't find a discussion on this subject. Does it matter where the shunt is located within the negative run to the battery? Can it be placed near the converter instead of out by batteries? The only thing that I can think of that might be missed by placing it at the converter would be tongue jack, but that wouldn't be used once setup at camp spot anyway. Thanks for your input ahead of time.
The shunt is a battery monitor part and should be placed close to the battery so that you get as accurate a reading as possible to include all the branch negative wires. On my system, I use a distribution block for both the negative and positive wires. The shunt sits between the distribution block and the battery negative. I have never seen them placed anywhere other than a foot or so from the battery with no branch wires between the shunt and the battery.

As to the question about placing it near the converter 15 feet away, I could only guess how much error that would add to the readings.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
The shunt is a battery monitor part and should be placed close to the battery so that you get as accurate a reading as possible to include all the branch negative wires. On my system, I use a distribution block for both the negative and positive wires. The shunt sits between the distribution block and the battery negative. I have never seen them placed anywhere other than a foot or so from the battery with no branch wires between the shunt and the battery.

As to the question about placing it near the converter 15 feet away, I could only guess how much error that would add to the readings.
The distance from the battery isn't a big deal as long as there's no other ground/negative connections between shunt and battery negative post.

As long as ALL current in and out of the battery passes through the shunt the readings will be accurate.

With the above in mind the most convenient (electrically) location for the shunt is near the battery that's the most common location. If you mount it in a location like near the converter than all the ground connections for items not fed by the power center will need to be "lifted" from the chassis and moved to a ground bus near the shunt. (Jacks, LPG/CO detector, slides (?), etc)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the replies. After thinking about it and reading your thoughts, I am not sure I could isolate all the negative connections between battery and converter without a significant amount of effort. While I was reading up on monitors, I saw a comment on putting the shunt near converter. That's is why I asked this question.
So will probably just put it at the battery. Now figuring out a good way to run the wires from the shunt to the monitor. Thanks again.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #5

I attached my shunt to the inside of the battery case lid and connected after the shutoff switch. So when I disconnect everything is disconnected. My Victron monitor also needs a positive connection so it is also connected right at the battery.
Good luck!

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. After thinking about it and reading your thoughts, I am not sure I could isolate all the negative connections between battery and converter without a significant amount of effort. While I was reading up on monitors, I saw a comment on putting the shunt near converter. That's is why I asked this question.
So will probably just put it at the battery. Now figuring out a good way to run the wires from the shunt to the monitor. Thanks again.
If its a Victron, you can use the Bluetooth connection to your phone. No monitor needed.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery