Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #1

Battery panel question.

Hello, new member with a battery monitor panel question.
I just purchased a 2018 Sonoma 167 BH.
I switch the installed single 12 volt battery for 2 6volt wired in series.
When I check the battery monitor panel with no shore power and nothing charging the batteries, the panel shows C for charging?
Can anyone help out with this question. Thanks.
DPS167BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 AM   #2

Does your camper come with a battery disconnect switch?

Are you 100% sure you wired the batteries in series for 12 volts and not in parallel?

If you accidentally wired the batteries backwards meaning you put the positive wire to camper on the negative terminal and negative wire on positive terminal, you may have blown some reverse polarity protection fuses in the power distribution panel.

Some campers have a resettable 30 amp fuse (it is a small square metal thingie) near the battery area, see if you can find one and see if it can be reset if tripped.

Please post a picture of your wiring on the battery and we'll go from there.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #3

The panel isn't exactly a precision instrument, it merely lights the LED based on detected voltage. It doesn't actually 'know' charging, it just sees voltage above a certain threshold and turns on the LED.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:53 AM   #4

Yeah wired the 2 6 volts in series.
I would expect that the panel would read C for charging when connect to 120v power.
But being disconnected from 120v power the panel should read G for good not C for charging correct?
I checked the batteries with a volt meter and they were at 12.59 volts. These are new batteries I just installed.
I realize that 12.59 is not 100% but I would think the panel should be reading G.
The 12v single battery I replaced would read C when attached to 120v power and G when not hooked 120v power.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

I would think what thegerman said is what is going on. perhaps the new batteries have slightly more voltage in them than the old ones did which is causing the charging light to come on. or by installing the new batteries the cable that the sensor uses got reseated and now has a better connection with less resistance. try running a 12 volt device, perhaps fan blower, from battery power only (no shore power) and see if the status lights drops from charging to good. it would be nice to know what the voltages are to illuminate the various battery status lights but wouldn't know where to go to get that and I would expect much variation is both product manufacture and installation.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #6

If your monitor is a simple one (C,G,F,L) then C indicates that it is fully charged, does not actually mean it is charging.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I'll draw the battery down some by running some 12 volt and see if it drops down to the G setting.
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Team

The panel is simply a crude volt meter that has 4 levels it can display. If the new batteries are charged the sensor could see it a charging which simply means the voltage is above some level. This is the reason anyone that depends on their batteries adds a good usage tracking monitor.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery